can a small syrinx in thoracic spine produce symptoms

In June of 2009 I was a passenger in a rearend mva. I had a thoracic spine MRI done and it revealed a small syrinx at T4(1x1X6) and since then I have been having bizarre symptoms that the doctors do not relate to the syrinx being the cause, because they say it's too small to be causing problems???? They also said it may be my central canal??? I am getting so frustrated and discouraged  because I am continuing to have severe upperback and neck/chest pain that gets worse as the day progresses and dysthesias in arms, hands, feet. I also have weird pains that move throughout my body...I have seen 2 neorsurgeons and 4 neurologists and they have all said the same thing but given me no other explanation. No other findings were found on brain MRI except for a small signal intensity in the lat periventricular white matter and c-spine MRI was normal. I did have a straightened c-spine at the time of the accident from a prior xray. Any insight would greatly be appreciated especially if anyone knows of any doctors in Portland, Oregon that may be able to help me. Thank you!!!!
Go to the Chiari Malformation Forum.  They discuss this in more detail; very informative.  
I do not know much about syrinx problems myself.  I wish I could help you.  

All the best.
I forgot to tell you, when you go on the forum look for rod44; he has a syrinx and chiari's I think.  I peek now and then in that forum :)    

All the best.
Have you done any physical therapy for your car accident injuries?  They got me into a physical therapy class so quick I was in so much pain they let me leave a bit early and I had to support myself on the back wall during the time I was there... I was wishing for a guerney!  I had about 10 months of physical therapy and it really helped a lot, though I feel my neck has never been quite the same.  I had a severely sprained neck which caused feelings like major electrical jolts when I turne my head a very little one of the directions and initially my right jaw went numb.  By God's grace, the physical therapist and assistant worked wonders for my range of motion and helping my neck to get a lot better than it was.  The tens unit they placed on me really helped with pain and tension one time I remember as well.  You might be having nerve pinching/encroachment if you are experiencing parasthesia.
From what I see online, one radiologist suspects about someone else's small signal increase in the white matter periventricular region that it reflects a microvascular ischemic change- is that what your docs said about yours?  See PM for info on syrinx.