can shingles and pleurisy be related?
i had a cold which i treated myself with over the counter meds for about 2 weeks because i have no health insurance. about a week ago i developed a horrible backache which i thought was just a pulled muscle from coughing. I woke up 3 days ago in the worse pain i have ever been in. From the middle of my back to my left side just under my breast is so tender and sore and when i cough i have a horrible pain. i went to the er and was diagnosed with shingles without a rash and pleurisy. I was given an anti inflamitory shot and perscribed acyclovir and a low dose pain med. im a healthy 24 y/o female and dont understand why im getting shingles.... are these two diagnosis related?
Welcome to the forum!
No, shingle and pleurisy are not related but both (shingles anyways is viral) can be of viral origin. It is possible that you had viral flu like symptoms and this causes pleurisy. When one virus attacked your body and the immunity was low the shingles virus too got the upper hand.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.