Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
can you die from quiting smoking?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

can you die from quiting smoking?

This sounds stupid even writing it!  I am on the patch and have looked up most symptoms.  But I am suffering with dizziness, nausea, heartbeat is irregular or fast most of the time (sometimes can feel my heart beat in my throat), sweating, awful nightmares and my legs are kicking in my sleep.  I'm having a very hard time falling asleep and when I do I get into such a deep sleep my head feels heavy when I get up and my nose is red. Waking up is a slow process. I'm writing this having a hard time with the dizziness.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I don't feel like I can walk outside as fear I might fall over or vomit and is the heart racing thing going to go away.  I'm feeling like the withdrawal is dangerous is this the case! Is it dangerous to quit?   Please don't write back I'm and idiot.  I am determined and want this but I can't believe how my body is reacting.  I'm a 32 year old female.  I have had a history of anxiety and depression.  Off meds for this and am doing well thanks to alot of cognitive therapy.  Have had heart palps on and off though for most of my adult life.  Can anyone help me or give me suggestions?
Tags: Smoking
1 Comment
Welcome to the forum!
No you are not an idiot or stupid. You are genuinely feeling this. This could partly be explained by withdrawal symptoms. Nicotine patches have a lower level of nicotine as compared to levels reached by smoking.
It could also be a reaction to the patch—not to the nicotine in it but to adhesive or something else in it. Normally it would cause skin reaction, but it can also in rare cases cause dizziness.
You could also be not eating properly due to withdrawal symptoms and this can cause hypoglycemia and anemia, both of which can make you dizzy. Also gastric reflux is common after you quit smoking. Try some OTC antacids and see.
Disturbed sleep is another cause of dizziness. Try to do some exercise at home, eat well, do some relaxation exercises, and get a good night’s sleep. Take a multivitamin.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!