Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
carotid artery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

carotid artery

should i be able to feel a pulse in my carotid artery ?. i am 17 years of age and have been having having pains in my heart the doctor said it was nothing to do with that and was muscular problems however i can feel a strong pulse usually at night in my carotid artery and i can feel the same pulse in an artery at the side of my biceps i can also see my skin move were my pulse should be on my wrist and can feel my pulse just putting my finger on the dip at the front of my throat . imy blood pressure has just been checked and is apparently fine . i am also getting constant sore heads every night aswell but yet again doctor shoots my worries down with i need my eyes tested but im not really buying what im getting told i feel there is something wrong although i have always been 1 for worrying about nothing please help :)  
These are normal sites for pulse checks. The carotid in the throat area just in the groove next to the windpipe(trachea), on the inside of your upper arm beneath your biceps muscle( brachial pulse), and the radial arterial pulse on your wrist. As for chest pain, a dull ache usually directly behind the sternum(breast-bone) which radiates or travels down the left arm and also up the neck and jaw with sweating,nausea,pain between the shoulder blades being symptoms of a heart-attack(AMI). If you have these symptoms- go to the emergency room.
It is quite normal to feel a pulse during the night. This is a particularly quiet time when noises the body makes are more exaggerated. As long as you have regular check ups, and take your blood pressure on a regular basis, this should cause no problems.
Yes. A 17 year old without a pulse in the carotid artery is probably dead.
haha thanks just been alot happening lately im getting worried easily thanks :)
im not haviing pains in my arm or anything just across were my heart is however when i get that pain my lung hurts aswell so i wasnt shure if it was anything to do with my heart doc says its all muscular problems however i wasnt shure about my neck :) thanks for the good advice :)
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
If you place your fingers on the carotids, yes, you can feel the pulse. However what you also have are twitches. Dehydration and electrolyte imbalance, muscle fatigue, pinched nerve due to wrong posture could be the cause. Change your posture and drink some fluids and see. Other than this it can be deep vein thrombosis. I would suggest you get the blood levels of the following checked if they have not already been checked: potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium, vitamin B complex, or vitamins B1, B3, or B6 and Vitamin D. Generally deficiencies of any of the above can cause muscle twitching and spasms in localized or generalized areas of the body. Get your kidney function, parathyroid gland function and adrenal function tests done because these affect the electrolyte balance in the body. Stress, alcohol, caffeine and fatigue all cause similar symptoms. Hence if you take alcohol or coffee then cut this down. Sleep at regular hours and see if it helps. Certain sleep disorders and peripheral nerve disorders due to diabetes or hypothyroidism can also be the cause. Take care!