chest congestion wheezing on laying down am cough
For the last two months I have had a severe cough... saw my doc. 2x.  Did 2 complete antibiotic regemes... finally had a chest xray since I was still coughing and the doc cough hear congestion in both sides of mylungs.   Three weeks later and I still have this night wheezing and sensation in the lower lungs which is loud enough to wake me... and my husband.  Eventually, I cough and cough and sometimes produce a "plug" of mucus.  This gives me relief and I can sleep.  But the wheezing returns... I am somewhat concerned as my mom died of lung cancer and wheezed very badly... I am 62 .   Any suggestions.  Thought of seeing a specialist.  Which one?  Thankx  mcb229
See PULMONARY specialist...sooner than later. Not only do you have a family history that waves the chest/lung flag, but what you describe, and 2 rounds od antibiotic says to me...time for a lung specialist.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
You need to consult a chest specialist. Did the X-ray show congestion? It can be asthma or allergic bronchitis or even gastric reflux causing the cough.
Tale steam before bed time and an antacid gel and see if it helps until you gte an appointment. Take care!