Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
chest pain

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

chest pain

For 5 years I have suffered with Chest pain that radiates into my back and down both arms during excertion.  I have had stress test, heart cathorization, throat and stomach scoped. I've been tested to see if I am having spasms in my esophagus.  I went to an orthopedic doctor who performed an mri of my neck and upper back.  I did have two disc buldges in my neck but he said that would not cause the pain.  The pain stops when I stop the excertion.  example, when I am walking up a hill, I will get the pain, if I stop walking the hill for just a minute at most the pain goes away.  But shortly after resuming the walk they come back.  Also, I am not out of breath when this happens.  I am at my witts end.  I am only 48years old and would like to be able to excersise and enjoy my life.  The pain is so intense that I have started to avoid alot of things.  Any help or would great.
Since most the major causes of such chest pain have been ruled out, so we have to look at the minor ones. From your symptoms, the possibilities of a muscular pain and costochondritis need to be ruled out. Costochondritis is an inflammation of the junctions where the upper ribs join with the cartilage that holds them to the breastbone or sternum. Anemia and thyroid diseases(hyperthyroidism)can also cause chest pain.

There is no specific test or investigation for costochondritis. The diagnosis can only be reached after excluding more serious causes of chest pain that are related to the heart and lungs. It is completely curable and treatment involves conservative local care with careful use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or naproxen (Aleve) as needed. Application of warm compresses may also help. If there is nor may relief even with medications, then steroid injections be needed.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I had some of the same issues and my doctor told me two things. One my weight could cause stress on my muscles, including the lungs, cutting off blood circulation. This cause pain, difficulty breathing, and numbness. Also I fell down a flight of stairs 3yrs ago and broke a rib that healed wrong. I never even knew that, I new it hurt when I fell, but just went to bed and didn't think anything of it. Anyway, when I get excerted or over stress/anxious it cause trouble breathing and pain in my shoulders, arm, and back. Don't know if any of these could apply, but an idea. Something else I forgot was that the spine in my neck actually curves backwards, causing back and shoulder pain often, especially when I work out.

Thank you for your response, I am making an appointment with a pulmenary doctor to rule out the lungs.  If that is ruled out I will look into getting treatment for Costochondritis.  Is that something I could have for all of these years with no further symptoms or progression?