ck level blood test what does this mean?
Hi, I got my ck level result for the only blood test my gp was willing to do. (good of her isnt it) Anyway She said its normal (nothing new) . I asked what the level was and she said 52 .Can anyone add any further info! I did have a look on google but cant make head nor tail of it really. Thanks Chris
Try googling creatine kinase, or creatine phosphokinase.
Also, CPK.

I wonder what your Dr. thought that ONE test was going to tell her. What was it, the cheapest one on her list? I suppose you should smile and be grateful huh?

Here's what it's for.
http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/creatine_kinase_test.jsp

The normal range for CK is 32 to 267 units per liter. The normal range may vary slightly from lab to lab. Normal ranges are usually shown next to your result in the lab report. See if you can get a copy.
http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/aha/aha_cktotalt_crs.htm

This one talks about causes of low CK. I thought it might be useful since you're way on the low end.
http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/content/full/44/5/905

Okay, I found one more. This tells a little more about how CK works with other chemicals in your body. Maybe something her will turn on a light for you.
http://www.answers.com/topic/creatine-kinase

Thanksw who is this I tried  googlin but came up with gobbledygook . Taa anyway
Your right I,m eternally grateful that my Gp paid for the Ck test out of her budget(I don't think) Ive got too laugh really else I,d cry as the saying goes eh! Cheers for the info I will go and have a look . XX Chris
We should start a stand up comic routine for people with lazy/ cheap Dr.'s
The material would be endless   ;)
Your not kiddin! That would be a good laugh. People on here have had more useful comments than the Dr I see. Be interesting reading wouldn't it!
Thanks Demi I,m in the uk and we have Nhs similar to Canada. I agree 1 test was a waste of a needle . Ive developed an ironic sense of humour as youve probably noticed . Good coping mechanism .Thanks for the usual informed response. I,ve got a list of issues which Ive faxed to my neuro apptmt July 5th . Might get some answers you never know. Take care Chris
I have to wonder about why the MD ordered this test.  Generally it is done to see if you have had a recent heart attack.  CK is high in MI, muscular dystrophy, and trauma.  It can also be high if you had a shot into the muscles of the arms or thighs.  Low CK (yours isn't considered to be low)indicates liver damage in individuals with alcholism, or may be used to test for RA presence.  This test is done for MI or as a direction for further testing for immune disorders.  Congrats, you have not suffered a recent heart attack, and you probably don't have RA or any immune disorder.  Whew.
Hi, I asked my Gp to run some Blood tests as Ive had none for two years. Ck is the only one she was willing to do as she said see my neurologist when I go in July. Nice to know I haven,t had a heart attack(didnt think I had) I don,t drink alchhol so liver problems not an option so that leaves everything I,ve got in ? box/ undiagnosed neurological disorder Whew! Thought there was something wrong. As you can appreciate when my Gp volunteered to do a blood  test I sighed with relief ( I don't think) Taa for the comments anyway Chris
I am waiting for diagnosis, had ck level of 3400, muscle biopsy yesterday,  I am 54 single mother of 5, ages 28,25,22,21,and 17.  My father died from lingering deseaswe myathenia gravis.  I am pretty scared, could use someone to chat with.
I have been recently diagnoised with Fibromyaligia. My GP thinks it is something else in addition to the Fibro. I had a CK test 04/030/08 and it was 12. He is sending me to a neurologist for further testing? He couldn't give me a definte answer of what a low CK is? The pain is so bad I can't hardly walk. This has been going on since last of Feb after a bout with the flu.
hi there my ck level is 182 my doctor said its ok but i dont  know please let me know if its is ok thanks cathy

CK test is known as creatine kinase or creatine phosphokinase (CPK). It is a test for muscle disease. It is usually high in muscle disease (myopathy) or in cardiac disease. It can also be high after exercise and is higher in males (higher muscle mass) than in females.
In a healthy adult, the serum CK level varies with a number of factors (gender, race and activity), but normal range is 22 to 198 U/L (units per liter).

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need any other information about the test.
Regards.
Hi everyone,

I just had a CK test done as part of some blood profiling.  Everything else came back as normal, but the CK test it was at 1254 U/L this is high I am told.  I am 26 years old and am fairly active.  My GP doesn't seem to be concerned, but I am after reading some information on the net.  I have had some irregular heart palpitations in the past and I have also been experiencing muscular pain through my back......what do you think? Should I be concerned or ask for a re-test?

Thanks!

I have had tremors in my hands and particularly violent ones in my right hand for 2 - 3 years now. In past 6 months had a dozen blood tests and MRI Scan - all negative (good) results. Neurologist now sending me for acanthocytes and CK Level tests plus refering me to Orthopaedic Surgeon because he says symptoms PARTIALLY caused by Degenerative Cervical Spine. From reading comments above I am confused. Can anyone tell me what to expect depending on results please?

Andy
A related discussion, Why such a high CK? was started.
A related discussion, Why my CK level is very high was started.