Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
ck level help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

ck level help

My husband just got his lab results and the doctor said his ck level was elevated.  It was 294?  Does anyone know that this could mean.  I tried searching the internet and the results can be very scary - just wondering if anyone had any input?  Please help...
Tags: CK, CK levels
Hello! The CK level reflects muscle damage somewhere in the body. It can be caused by a large bruise, laying on a surface in one position for a long time, or a heart attack. For a heart attack, the cardiac enzyme (a protein that exists only in heart muscle) "troponin" is the one to be concerned about. If it is elevated, his heart muscle has a spot that isn't getting enough oxygen. Sometimes this is only caused by a narrowed blood vessel and hasn't become a heart attack yet (chronic angina -frequent chest pain- patients get this) and sometimes it shows a very large heart attack starting. If the latter is what is going on, he should be in an emergency room, preparing to get a heart catheterization (vessel opening procedure) as soon as possible. I hope this helps and doesn't freak you out further...Good luck and (((((((((HUGZ)))))) Let me know how things turn out, okay? ~MM
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Please see that your husband does not exert until he has seen a specialist. It could be really dangerous. When the total CPK level is very high, it usually means that there has been injury or stress to the heart, the brain, or muscle tissue. The pattern and timing of CPK rise is important in determining whether it is from heart or not. Further tests will be required. It would not harm to rush to ER.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
The doctor has him following up with rheumotologist.  He thinks it could be a muscle spasm.  I hope it's that simple.  We've been doing research and there are so many things online that show up as a possible result (lupus, MD, RA...) that you get so scared.  I guess we'll find out more in a couple of weeks.  Fingers crossed that he just over exerted himself at work.  We have a new baby so maybe the exhaustion on top of everything is playing a role too...am I just grasping at straws?  
Thanks for your help...I'll keep you posted.