Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
constant gagging feeling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

constant gagging feeling

Hello!

Before 4-5 weeks I developed constant gagging feeling and when it comes too bad, I gag abnormally every second. Somehow I stop it with my tongue and tooth. I went to the doctor for throat problems, he said I got nothing in my throat except white tongue. The white tongue suddenly appeared before 6-7 weeks. I have no nausea, but before 5 months I had CMV and bad nausea, strong gastritis due to CMV.

Now some doctors say it is acid reflux, but I have no heartburn. I drink Reglan on occasions and still not helping. I started to develop bad anxiety because of this. It's so annoying, and it makes me think that I have cancer on my brain. Today, I made tests for bacteria, results will be done after 2 days. I can even go out with my friends. It's so disturbing.

Please give me any tips that might be helpful.

Thank you.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Gagging can be due to post nasal drip, if you have recurrent cold and sinusitis. Maybe your ENT has already ruled these out. It can also be gastric reflux due to weak esophageal sphincter or due to hiatal hernia. It can also be an allergic reaction to something you eat. You will need to consult your PCP and rule out these causes one by one.
Take Omeprazole 20mg in morning empty stomach and see if it helps. There will be no heart burn at times. Raise the head end of bed.
Hope this helps. Do let me know if there is any thing else and keep me posted. Take care!
Thank you very much for the help.

I have recurrent "red" throat, which hurts sometimes, usually from allergy that I have on dust mites and pollen. I have also choked nose sometimes, but I've never had this gagging feeling. I haven't been cold or have sinusitis for about a month. It could be gastric reflux, but it is strange because I feel heartburn sometimes (when I eat onion), but when I have this gagging feeling I do not have any heartburn. Because of the choked nose I use double pillow and my head is always raised up. I noticed something strange. I sleep very nice, I do not wake up with this gagging feeling. Also when stop thinking on it and play something, somehow I forget about it.

I have at home Omeprazole and I will try it, thanks for the tip. Another thing I noticed, I did not eat for about 6 hours, and it was better.

I would say, in the morning I do not have that feeling so strong. I do not know but when I took Letizen for allergy next day I was better (I do not whether it was mental relief or the medicine).

Thank you for the tip. I will soon go to allergy specialist and take all necessary tests.

Sorry, I have given you so much different information but it is really strange. I mean after that CMV I started eating much healthy things. I did not eat toasts or sandwiches  for about 5 months. I have not drunk alcohol nor Coca Cola or any mineral water for about 5 months also. Now I am eating Yogurt and Corn Flakes and try to resolve this gagging feeling.

Thanks again for everything.
just a thought, have you done a pregnancy test? i gagged alot while pregnant, even lifting my toungue to the top/back of my mouth would cause me to gag and vomit - brushing my teeth was a nightmare. hope you get some answers soon
Sorry I did not mention but I am 19 year old male.

Brushing my teeth make me gag on some places of my tongue, but I've never vomited. Actually in my whole live I've never vomited.

Update:

I drink Omeprazol 20mg on morning once a day for 4 days and the feeling is still there. The bacteria tests came negative.

What should I do now?
You need to see a physician who is a "swallow specialist". They actually exist. They are pretty good in differential diagnosis of swallowing disorders.

You really need such a specialist because ocasionally such disorders are due to a minor stroke or Parkinson's disease. I think this is unlikely, but swallow specialists are the people who really know their onions.

Avoid chocolate and coffee which contain methylxanthines, which affect the lower esophageal sphincter (LES).
Oh, you make me scared.

May I have Parkinson's disease so young?
Yes, you could develop Parkinson's at any age, although usually it is late onset.

This is unlikely.

There is also a possible stroke etiology. A clot can form at any age from dehydration and lack of exercise simply from sitting in an airplane seat for five hours.

Once again, a swallow specialist, M.D. is the person to make a diagnosis.
Thank you very much for the response.

The thing is that in my country does not exist swallow specialist.

The best doctor in my city, did an endoscopy to me, and said that I have absolutely nothing on my throat.

Could this be caused by anxiety?
A related discussion, Constant gagging feeling was started.