Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
constant periods

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

constant periods

I am 48 y.o.  I have never been exactly regular with my periods, however, have not had any difficulty having children.  I would go sometimes 65 days without menustrating.  If 66 days had passed, I figured I was pregnant, and was usually right.  I had 4 healthy pregnancies.  However, this is not my problem.  Now, at my age, I am constantly getting my period.  I have never felt worse during them.  I usually do not make it passed 2 weeks before I start again.  I am having my yearly pap soon, and am not sure what to do about this.  At my age, is it a good idea to get a depo shot, or go on some sort of birth control to prevent periods for several months?  My Gyn-ob suggested several years ago, that I have my uterus removed.  I had been discussing having a tubal at the time, and he gave that to me as another option.  I chose the tubal.  I have had it with all this bleeding!  Any suggestions?
This may be a hormonal change in the years leading to the menopause.  Symptoms can start ten years before the 'end'.  Have you had a full hormone profile done?  Removal of the uterus unless there is malignancy should only be a last resort.  Also have you had a hysteroscopy?  They insert a camera into your womb to check for abnormalities such as polyps or fibroids.  You are awake and it is a quick and not too uncomfortable procedure.

If the hormone tests indicate you are close to menopause, it might be better just to manage the problem rather than take drastic action at this stage.  With all that blood loss you will likely be anaemic, which can itself cause further blood loss.  Definitely get a blood count done.  Also have your thyroid levels checked.

I don't know what a 'tubal' is I'm afraid.  There are procedures though such as endometrial ablation, which may be what you are talking about.  The lining of the uterus is sloughed away and this reduces bleeding.  It also leaves you unable to carry a baby to term, so you need to be sure you have not desire for one last little one!

Have blood tests for tumour markers too.  Cancer is another possibility, always scary but best looked out for while it is treatable.  I hope your Gyn-ob is on top of all this.

With younger women constant bleeding can be associated with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.  Again blood tests and ultrasound can determin this.  I would have thought though that you would be symptomatic earlier in life, but you never know.

Never have surgery without knowing all the facts and if possible getting a second opinion.  All surgery carries an element of risk, and removal of an organ unless it is dangerously diseased is not a good idea.  This may seem like a quick solution, but in the long term you may suffer more from the surgery than the other options.  
Do your research as you are and get copies of all your tests and blood results, so that anyone else you consult has the full picture.

Best of luck

Menopause can occur in age 40-55 but premenopause is not the only cause of irregular and constant bleeding in periods.Other causes are there.

Excessive amount or duration of menstrual flow, at more or less regular intervals is called menorrhagia.Sometimes it is associated with polymenorrhea(Frequent flow, cycles of ≤21 days)Causes of menorrhagia are Hypothyroidism, Endometrial proliferation or hyperplasia like ovarian tumor and polycystic ovarian disease,endometrial polyps and neoplasia,endometriosis,fibroids and uterine sarcomas.

In my opinion you need to get your pelvic examination done from your gynecologist along with investigations like complete blood count,thyroid function tests,PAP smear and ultrasound uterus.Once cause of menorrhagia is identified,treatment can be planned.

Regarding the option of birth control,I think that you should go in for condoms at this age.Depo shots are usually not taken at this age because of the risk of osteoporosis and breast cancer.Moreover it is contraindicated in women having unexplained vaginal bleeding.So pls get yourself evaluated for menorrhagia first.

Take care and regards.