Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
cough until you throw up

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

cough until you throw up

For the last 6 months i have had this tickle in the back of my throat.. it come out of nowhere and don't stop until i throw up from coughing..it'll last for a couple weeks and then nothing for the next couple weeks...not being able to stand it anymore..i went to en ENT..he scoped me and said i have acid reflux..huh?? i don't ever feel like heart burn or any chestpain..the pills don't help and it's still weeks bothering me and weeks not...HELP ! Marie
Hello!
Odd that you don't have GERD symptoms and he said that...I'd ask him what it was he found that made him decide...Maybe he didn't find anything significant and just had to come up with something? I'd be suspicious of an ENT doc making a GI doc's diagnosis...I know heavy sinus drainage causes an irritating cough that comes and goes...especially when allergies are in action...Have antihistamines worked? Did he tell you that you shouldn't take GERD meds like Prevacid (H2 blockers)more than 6 weeks, or you can get some vitamin and mineral deficiencies?..The pills would work if GERD was the problem...
I'd get a second ENT doc's opinion...And maybe try taking an antihistamine (over the counter) (I've found pseudofed works best)...See if that helps...
Have your doctor check you for whooping cough. If you cough so hard that you throw up, it may be that.  If you have GERD or Reflux, you may not necessarily have heartburn or chestpain. Your stomach may secrete extra acid and this will cause symptoms like coughing/choking.  If you do have GERD the medicine NEXIUM would help tremdously.