coughing all year long
i am 15 years old and i have cough. i have this cough all year long. it is worse sometimes and not so bad other times. this cough started about 3 years ago. i have gone to my family doctor and he said it was allergies(seasonal allergies or something like that). i took the medication he gave me, all three refills. and i used to just deal with it. but now i want to get rid of it and i don't want to go to the doctor because he will probably just say it is allergies and i don't think it is allergies.

Your symptoms are suggestive of chronic cough. Some common causes of chronic cough include asthma, allergic rhinitis, sinus problems (for example sinus infection),post nasal drip and esophageal reflux of stomach contents.Infections such as bronchitis or pneumonia can cause coughing. These infections can be caused by virus, bacteria or fungus.

Diagnosis includes pulmonary function studies,CT or x-ray sinuses,upper GI endoscopy and allergy tests to rule out these possibilities one by one and reach a confirmatory diagnosis.I sincerely advise you to consult an ENT surgeon and discuss these possibilities with him.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep us posted if you have any additional queries. Kind regards.

Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.