cramping pain in left side of neck
From time to time I will, out of no where, get a bad cramping like pain in the left side of my neck.  Some times it is accompanied by an ache in my left shoulder area and upper arm and some times there is also numbness in my finger or fingers on my left hand.  Any ideas as to what this may be?  Also recently over the last couple of weeks I have been finding dried blood in my left ear.

Your symptoms are suggestive of cervical spondolysis or cervical rib.Cervical spondolysis is due to the age-related degeneration ('wear & tear') of the vertebrae and discs in the neck region.This can cause compression of the nerves and hence pain and numbness.Dried blood in ear has no correlation with this and an ENT examination is preferentially required to find out the cause.

Diagnosis can be confirmed by x-ray neck or MRI spine.

Apply warm compresses on the area and take some over the counter anti-inflammatory pain killer like ibuprofen or diclofenac.Application of topical muscle relaxants will also help. Cervical spondolysis also responds to anti-inflammatory drugs and cervical collars. A good posture may help. Brace your shoulders slightly backwards, and walk 'like a model'. Try not to stoop when you sit at a desk. Sit upright.Use a firm supporting pillow while sleeping and try some neck exercises.

If the symptoms persist then pls get it evaluated from an orthopedician.Cervical rib has to be ruled out then.

Hope it helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.