Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
dizziness nausea undiagnosed for my 9 year old son

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

My 9 year old has had adominable pain, coupled with dizziness (in his head, not the room spinning) for over a year now.  He gets hot and cold as well, we were first told it is allergies, but nothing shown on the skin test they conducted.  We then saw a GI doctor who said he thought our son was lactose intolerant, he has had an MRI of his head, CAT scan on his abdomin (abdomen), blood work, and a hearing test. ( I had been diagnosed with Menieres years ago)  The ENT said there was no indication of Menieres, and the GI doctor said my son just has constipation and a little Gastro-reflux.  I do not know how he could get so dizzy from this?  We even thought it might be wheat allergies, but an endoscopy did not show evidence of Celiac disease.  Someone said my son could be making this up, but he spends much of his time in bed, looking out the window, wanting to play with his friends, but he is too dizzy, and sick to his stomach (no vomiting yet).  He gave up candy too, thinking maybe that made his sick.  I really am worried about him.  They said he has no allergies, but he has the tell tale signs, (bags under the eyes) my Pediatrician said she knows he is not making it up, and she is determined to find out what is wrong. Should we go to an Internist, or another Doctor?  My email address is ***@****  if anyone has any help we really welcome it.
He did have his thyroid tested, amoung several others.  they said there was no evidence of cancer, they couldnt find anything wrong.  He is drinking alot too, so he is not dehydrated either.  Ssometimes his blood pressure is a little low, but most of the time it's normal.  i will try antihysitmines, but i dont know if that will permenantly help?
yeterday, he had 1/2 plain cheesburger, and some french fries and water, and felt extremely nauseated.  he was dizzy all night, even when he woke up this morning.
has he tried an antihistamine to see if it helps?  has he had his thyroid checked?  good luck
Nausea is mostly caused by the dizziness, so why is the body dizzy?  Dizzy can mean different things to different people.  If he is "lightheaded" it can be caused from anemia, excess sweating, low level dehydration, blood pressure meds, low blood pressure, or diabetes.  This is usually accompanied with visual darkening and the feeling of impending fainting.  Adolescents in growth spurts often get this formof dizziness.  Diabetics can get dizzy when it affects the peripheral nerves, with it being worse in the morning, or after a period of sitting or laying around.  Subclavian Steal Syndrome can cause dizziness.  The blood coming out of the heart travels the subcalvian arteries into the brain. When there is a blockage, the blood goes into the arm instead causing dizziness and peripheral nerve function impairment, so he would have problems with heaviness or touch in the arms and hands.  Orthostatic Hypotension is problems with blood pressure when going from a sitting or laying position to a standin position.  Anxiety is another problem that will cause dizziness and is usually accompanied by the sensation of being "weak in the knees".  If the problem is with the inner ear, he will have ringing in the ear.  Hypo- or hyperventilation also cause dizziness, especially if he plays computer games.  Kids get excited and won't breath deeply,will hold their breath or will slightly hyperventilate causing dizziness.  Hope this helps.
Hey,
Don't really have any info that can help - other than, I am sure he's not making it up - i have a 12 yr old son - and when he is sick - you know it!  Kids will not give up going outside to play with their friends unless they feel really really yucky.  I will keep you in my prayers.  Take care
Peace, charley1986
I googled this subject...my son is 16 and has the same problem.  I am diabetic and test him often and when he is dizzy I test his blood and it is always perfect.  Not high or low.   He is going for an MRI today so they can find out if it is caused by an inner ear problem.  He is driving so I dont want this to get worse.

Your story has seemed to fall into the same catagory as my son's. So thank you for the input.
My nine year old has stomach pains, constipation and has now developed a rash with a red tint to it (face and neck). This is the second time it has happened to her in six months. She has had tons of blood work (all negative) and she has had a ct scan (negative). Her stool is like hard pellets. Our drs constantly tell me to give her miralax. I would love any advice/suggestions.
Boys can enter puberty as early as age 9.  So, I have to ask: has this been happening for a while? Or is this a new illness?  It could very well be hormone related-- know that, depending on where they're working from, doctors are working with two different reference ranges for TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone): 0.3-3.0 or 0.5-5.0.  So, maybe ask what the reading was.  My brother developed hypothyroidism at a young age and it wasn't discovered until we looked at the reading (4.55).  Since it wasn't over 5.0, it was deemed "normal", although it should be around 2.  
However, the fact that he's getting sick after he eats makes me think: diabetes.  
And since you've tested him for Celiac disease, I guess they've ruled out malabsorption and vitamin deficiencies....??
Oh, and lactose can also be found in processed meats and even in certain breads too.  It's used as a commercial food additive.  So, maybe try a diet of fresh foods, only.