Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
ear drainage- peeling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

ear drainage- peeling

I've had this for a few years on and off. The inside of one ear peels and hardens. When it peels I get drainage. I get drainage the most when I first wake up in the morning. One time I had an ear infection and the meds I took relieved it for a while but it came back a short while after. Is there anything I can do? I don't have insurance right now, is there anything over the counter that can help me? Is it curable? What is it??
1 Comment

Your symptoms are suggestive of swimmer’s ear or otitis externa.
Swimmer's ear is an infection or inflammation of the canal between the eardrum and the outer ear. This condition can be triggered by exposure to water, or mechanical damage due to overzealous cleaning. The infection can be caused by fungi or bacteria.

First of all confirmation of the diagnosis is required.It can be done by clinical examination by an ENTsurgeon and culture of the swab specimen of discharge.I sincerely advise you to consult an ENT specialist a without examination,confirmation of diagnosis cannot be done.

Till then,keep the ear canal dry by using earplugs or a shower cap while bathing,apply warm compresses to the ear,avoid cleaning or poking of fingers in the ears.Steroid ear drops are also useful but before using them a consultation of an ENT surgeon is definitely required.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.