Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
elevated liver enzymes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

elevated liver enzymes

Last year I went to the ER because my hands were very swollen.  The ER doctor said all labs were normal but my liver enzymes were elevated and I should follow up with a doctor.  I seen a new doctor and she did not know why they were elevated but put me on Lipitor and then stopped it in 1 month because my liver enzymes went up more.  I told her about 5 years ago my old doctor said I had a fatty liver and even though I have never had elevated iver enzymes she said that probably what is causing it.  Well that doctor left and now I am being followed by a nurse practioner.  But again my lab work came back and my liver enzymes are even higher.  She said one was 99 and the other 124.  She just said we will repeat them again in 6 months.  They have gradually went up exept for l time then went down slightly.  OUt of the past 6 labs, 5 of them showed a higher liver enzymes.  I am without ins. right now and I am really worried about this.  I nurse said that she does not worried about them unless the get up to 200 or 300.  But by then I have read you need a transplant.  These enzmes normal value (according to lab is 35)  I have developed mild diabetes controlled by diet and all those sugars are coming back normal.  What can I do?  I am worried.  I feel very tired alot.  I chaulked that up to being about 50 pounds overweght but can it be more.  Please respond.

The normal ranges for AST and ALT are around 0 to 40 IU/L and 0 to 45 IU/L respectively.So definitely,your enzymes are a lot elevated.

Elevated liver enzymes are found in hepatitis,fatty liver,alcoholic liver disease,obesity,diabetes(uncontrolled),mononucleosis,autoimmune hepatitis,metabolic liver disease,gallstones,tumors of liver,pancreas and bile ducts and side effects of medicines like certain nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), cholesterol medications, antibiotics or anti-seizure medications.

I feel that you should consult a physician soon and get these possibilities ruled out.

Hope it helps.If you have any additional queries,then pls post us.
Take care and regards.

Thanks for your reply.  I have never drinked and most of my weight gain came after my last childs birth 12 years ago.  I only take a water pill and 2 high blood pills, Tenormin and now recently Linsipril, so I don't think it is due to meds.  I worked full time and have 2 daughters so I stay pretty busy. I just turned 50.  However I have been really growing moe fatigue over the last couple of years.  I walk on my treadmill sometimes and I noticed I do feel better when I can exercize but I am so tired it is hard for me.  I do take vitamin B12 vitamins.  My stomach bloats often and it seems that I digest food slowly because my stomach bloats after I eat and it does not go down until I have not ate for about 6 hours.  My ankles swell.  
MY MAIN QUESTION IS:  How do they determined that my elevated liver enzymes are due to a fatty liver. and if it is due to a fatty liver should the liever enzymes continue to rise and MOST OF ALL does elevated liver enzymes mean that my liver is disease or fatty.  If it is due to fatty liver will my enzymes continue to rise and is it just normal for them to continue to raise.  What is normal if it is due to fatty liver or diabetess II?  

Elevated liver enzymes are not pathognomic of fatty liver.It is found in host of other conditions also which I have already mentioned.If there is any elevation of the liver enzymes,it means that liver is involved directly or indirectly.

For confirmation of fatty liver,biopsy of liver is the best diagnostic test. The biopsy can help determine whether fatty liver is present, whether it resulted from alcohol or certain other specific causes, and how severe the liver damage is.

It is not compulsory that in fatty liver,the enzymes continue to rise as it may be associated with other liver abnormalities also. Fatty liver is simply accumulation of fats in liver.So basically it can be a predisposition to other liver pathologies.

Hence,if you are having elevated liver enzymes,an extensive and thorough investigation for the liver pathology is needed.We can’t blame fatty liver alone.A consultation with a hepatologist(liver specialist) will be the best.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thanks very much for your reply.  I think I will check with a hepatologist.  Better safe than sorry.

I will let you know what he says.