Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
extreme itching.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

extreme itching.

This started about four years ago and has reached a point where it is becoming maddening.  I have had itching near my anus.  I was told when it first started that it may be a yeast infection.  After about two years, and during this time and came and went, I spoke to my obgyn.  He stated I have a hemmroid.  He prescribed medicine for me to apply there.  At that time it was not bothering me, although I did fill the prescription just in case.  When it started again, I used it but it did not make a difference. The next time I saw him, he stated it appears that I have fizzures and should go to a specialist.  The specialist advsd me to purchase a product called calmoseptine.  For the first 2 wks of using this product everything seemed fine.  Then, it was back to the same insane itching and this cream appeared to make it worse.  I then decided to apply damp pads between my cheeks over my anus and that helped.  When that failed I put baby powder on which also briefly helped.  I went to this same doctor again and he stated there is nothing more he can do.  During our first visit he mentioned what could be causing it and we singled out everything but caffine and dairy products.  I experimented and doing without these products did not help.  He also advised me to baby my bottom.  I have tried all of this to no avail.  My fiance took me to a pharmacy and we purchased Tucks and Vagisil, due to an active ingredient that should help with my itching.  Again, this only helped temporarily.  I am at my wits end.  I recently had surgery and it is virtually impossible to relax and mend with this torturouse itching.  I am also getting little or no sleep due to it.  Luckily, I am off of work for the next four weeks recouperating from the surgery.  I am begging anyone.  Please, what can I do to eliviate this and, at some point, make this go away.
What kind of surgery did you have?  I had a fistula that needed surgery but there was no itching before or after, just pain.  Eventually the pain went away.  I wish I could be more help.  Best wishes!!!!!
Due to the nature of your itching and all of the treatments you have tried, you might want to possibly contact your doctor and ask about pinworms.  Yes, mostly children get this, but adults can develop it as well.  I do not know anything to itch as bad as you are describing except pinworms.  Yes, hemorrhoids itch, but usually only for a bit and after treatment, the itching usually goes away.  I would talk to your doctor about being tested for pinworms.  If the test is negative, you might want to ask for a referral to a dermatologist just in case this is a skin sensitivity problem to something you are using or wearing.  Be careful with the over use of antifungals and Tucks pads.  It can cause more irritation and itching.  But first seek out a doctor to consult with about pinworms.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Worms are the commonest cause of anal itch. Scratching repeatedly can cause sores. Itchy anus can also be due to undigested food like citrus fruits, grapes, certain spices, tomatoes, certain medicines like antibiotics and laxatives and certain drinks like beer, milk, tea, or coffee. Anal fissures, hemorrhoids, threadworms can all cause anal itch. Itch can also be due to irritants like synthetic fiber, toiletries or fungal infection. Genital warts and sores of herpes should also be ruled out.
First get a stool test and see if it is due to worms.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Thank you for your response.  The surgery I had was for a hernia, not related to the request I issued.  The problem is I am having a hard time relaxing in order to heal.  Thank you for your well wishes.  I will call my obgyn and ask for another referal.
I could call the specialist that I went to, but (since he is a specialist) wouldn't he have recommended that or seen that when he examined me.  I will call and see if that is a possibility.  Thank you for your response.