Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
extreme leg pain and swelling help please

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

we have been to 5 doctors no one knows why the left leg is so swollen and painful. the pain is an extreme burning, cramping, stabbing pain starting deep iside the buttocks and goes down the side and back of the leg even into the ankle and foot sometimes. the top of the foot gets numb and the leg is swollen 2 times bigger than the normal leg the swelling is going up into the stomach and butt and hips this has been going on for over 6 weeks. diff doctors are telling us diff things to help the pain and swelling. there is even blacking out and dizziness when standing up. the pain is so excruciating that he has lost his voice and has lost 50 lbs since january and it is now the end of february..if anyone has any ideas please help my dad has always been in great health and this is very upsetting to see him like this we are helping him walk with crutches bec he falls and loses his breath due to the pain.. the doc are saying they are more concerned with the prolonged swelling but the pain is also extreme. please help i am up for any options..thank you...
I assume that your dad has had an arterial/venous doppler exam to assess circulation.  Was there any injury or surgery before the problem arose?  That can cause lymphedema, but I've never heard of anyone having that much pain with that condition.  There also seems to be a neurologic component to your dad's problem; possibly sciatica (relating to the sciatic nerve).  Has an MRI of the lower back been done?  Possibly something is compressing the nerves and vessels as they enter the leg.

Hyepod, Foot doctor
Sounds like he needs to see a neurologist if he hasn't already.
All of what is listed above applies to my story however, Dr's originally thought I had a brain infection because of my extreme dizziness. Turns out that my MRI was clear. I have suffered through migraines for 10-11 years and always on the left side, now my left hip, joint, leg, & foot are giving me a lot of trouble.  I have sharp shooting pain where I can not bare weight at all and constant dull, hot ache that ranges from the hip joint to the tip of my toe. When I can walk, it feels like I have jelly sitting on top of my left foot, so obviously I am holding some fluid of some sort.  I just lost my insurance and can afford to see a doctor.... can some one offer some advice? Young mom of 2
Hi,,i've been having the same sympthoms as the lady above,,,recently i've had surgery,ovarian,,and i've been having alot of pain in my buttox,on the right side,,and pain goes straight down to my toes,,,along with the pian,,my 2 feet and legs are swollen alot,,,my Dr,put me on fluid pills,,thinking it was fluid retention,,but they arent working either,,,and my feet are always most of the time,very cold,,,but at times,,they burn  like they are on fire,,,can anybody help me with this,,,i also have numbness and tingling as well in my right leg,,,any suggestions,,Please,,,,ty....