Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
extreme lightheadedness,neck pain, pressure in head

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

For over a year now I have had extreme lightheadedness, headaches, head pressure, and neck pain.  I have seen 3 neurologists, a neurosurgeon, cardiologist, lyme expert, ent, dentist, chiropractor, etc. I have had mris of the brain, cspine, lumbar spine, mra of the brain, and an angiogram of the brain, heart tests, blood tests galore.  Probably more that I can't think of right now.  My only diagnosis has been migraine disorder, and possible lyme.  My lyme tests came out questionable.  I tried antiobiotics for two months, but it did not make a difference in my symptoms.  My symptoms are getting worse.  They are there all of the time.  They never go away.  I don't believe it's a migraine thing. I have tried numerous migraine meds, pain pills, fluid pills, etc.  The only test that is questionable is a spinal tap, but all of the doctors were reluctant to do it for fear of the risks.  I have been told by another doctor that it could be something to do with the spinal fluid.  I can't drive anymore.  I had to give it up almost 8 months ago.  I can't shop anymore, go to my kids things anymore, and can barely go out of the house at times.  I'm only 36 and female.  This is ruining me and my family.  The lightheadedness is between lightheaded and crawly sensations and burning.  Sometimes the pressure is so bad that I can't stand it.  It hurts behind my eyes, when I move my eyes, and between my eyes.  I have also been to an eye doctor within the past year.  My eyes haven't changed in three years.  Sinus was ruled out also. Also, anxiety was ruled out, along with depression.
what about tension headaches....there are many muscles in the neck that when stressed can cause these symptoms....have they check your cervical spine? maybe you should see a neuromuscular dr or physical or massage therapist......good luck
hey.  I did have a cervical spine mri done just a few months ago, and everything was normal on it.  I'm at a loss.  I did see a physical therapist but he said that it wasn't anything that he could do.  I even tried accupuncture.
I my self have alot of those symptoms.  

Ask your doctor to test for inflamation (inflammation) in the blood.
        -sedimentation rate
        -c-reactive protein
if those come back high it could be an autoimmune disorder or arthritis.
If they are fine good luck
Did you say you had had a spinal tap and it was questionable?  How?  Is there a possibility of intracranial hypertension? I have a hx of migraines and a hx of pseudotumor cerebri. I had symptoms all over the map. Do you have any vision problems? double vision or loss of vision? Are you overweight? PTC usually occurs in overweight women...but I'm just throwing a guess in here, not a dx. I agree with the other poster that you should get your blood checked for inflammation markers - C-reactive protein, ANA, rule out lupus, etc. Do you get dizzy? vertigo?  There are some other extremely rare disorders but they are hard to diagnose..like brain vasculitis. I would try to avoid a brain biopsy though.
No I have not had a spinal tap.  I am trying to get my doctor to order one, but as of now, he won't do it.  I am having a lot of lightheadedness, but not dizziness.  And a lot of head and eye pressure.  All of my other tests are showing up as normal. I am overweight.  I am not able to lose weight due to all of this.  I spend a lot of time in the bed, because I'm too lightheaded to do much. I do get blurry vision off and on, especially when the pressure is really bad in my head.  I am due for an eye exam and am going to make an appointment for that this week coming.  Maybe that will give me some kind of answer.  I'm not sure.  I hope anyway.
Did you see a LYME specialist or what they call an LLMD ... what kind of test they they do and what lab did they use. This info is important eith Lyme. It sounds like Lyme was the closest the doctors got to a diagnosis. I myself have had constant heavy, drowsy kind of head which causes me to be slightly imbalanced when I walk. I also get the pain behind the eyes .. but that has subsided. I am in the process of looking into possible Lyme myself. I really hope you get better and I'll pray for you.
I have been researching this same symptomology for a friend. You need to read up on “anterior ethmoid nerve syndrome” & trigeminal neuralgia , you may also have a CSF Leak. Go see a doctor who specializes in  Otolaryngology. Don’t expect a lot of help from most doctors, you need to do most of your own research, start by reading this article http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/09/AR2007110902105.html
how r u feeling now?Please let me know. I have similar symptoms.
Yes I would love to know how you are doing too... I hope you got better!!! I have neck / gland / skull/ upper back pain.. they still dont know whats up.. its a wait and see game UGH..
I strongly recommend you see an osteopath who is particularly recommended in your area, particularly one who is a cranial osteopath. Sometimes when conventional methods have ruled things out, osteopaths are able to balance things in the skull which can relieve nerve pressure. Do your reserch though and go to a highly recommended one.
Vanesa
I just want to make a comment.  I have the tightness with numbness and a lot of pressured in the ack of my head.  I also get periods of blanking out, where I will be talking and thinking and trying to type and I draw blanks.  Sometimes I get some pain in my eyes.  I have a lump on the left side under my ear which also show that my thyroid level is elevated.  In my right ear I have a problem with a noise, that sounds and feels like my heart and pulse be3ating.  They did a lot of tests on me including an arteriogram and found nothing.  I get little pains in my head, not like a headache and they are more like throbbing and do not last long.  I am also an incomplete paraplegic with a lot of excruciating pain in my spinal cord. Also what else goes with this disease is paralyzed stomach, nerves in bladder do not work right, so I have no control of my bladder, I also have a really bad time with constipation.  Around Thanksgiving, I had some kind of a seizure, my body went into a full fledged spasm, and started flopping all over the place.  I landed on the floor in an upright position, I broke my tailbone and had another ruptured disc.  Just before this happened, I had a real bad spell of lightedness.  Ph yes, I also have peripheral neuropathy which controls all the nerves in the spinal cord and the and the central nervous system.  I go to the doctor again this coming Thursday, I should find out the results of my CT scan.  I surely hope that y'all find out what is wrong with you.  I know what you are all going through.
Kat
I, myself just started having these symptoms about a couple weeks ago, i passed out and have been feeling lightheaded ,alot of pressure on the back left side of my head,,  my eyes are blurry, especially when the pressure is really intense.. i am also tired all the time... some days are worse then others... i have only had one CTscan.. it came back normal.. so now my dr. recommened a Neurologist,,, so thats where i am at right now... I have a friend who was having the same symptoms, he had 3 CTscans before they diagnosed he had an aneurysm... the dr. told him its been there for years.. 1 out of 15 people have an aneurysm in their lifetime.. who knows.. im just trying to find out myself what is going on.. so i wish you luck and let us know what they find out.. im just beginning , i will do the same... take care and keep trying.. dont give up...
Barb
Most traditional doctors won't find this.  You may have candida (yeast) overgrowth.  It can wreak havoc on your body.  It's worth investigating.  Try to google it and do the research.
Lightheaded headache.
I have been suffering from this kind of headache for over 4 years now.  I thought this was caused by stress when I was having problems  with my teenager.  I don't have anymore worries now but the headache in the back of my neck is getting stronger than ever.  Sometimes I'd feel like throwing up due to intense pain.  Endep helped a bit at the start but not anymore.  I am awaiting for my CT scan result.  We'll see what happens.
I am scared though because the young lady across the street from our house just died.  She was a healthy nurse with young family, just had a headache one day, husband took her to hospital and she didn't come home.  Lots of things are going through my mind...
I too have been suffering many of the same simptoms as  you. I have had accupuncture, chiropractics, seen a neurologist, and I am scheduled for a breast reduction in 2 weeks. Its the next step in line to solve the problem. I read that you have children,one thing to keep in mind is that if you had any meds during child birth that were given through a introtheigal(sp) or other spinal method it can leave a hole in the spine. I have researched this and sometimes it can be years before it shows up. If that is the case you may have a CSF leak. I am on the path of a new neurologist to find out if that is in fact my problem as well. I feel sort of enlightend that maybe I have an answere. Of course now what do I do about the breast surgery? Should I still have it or should I wait? I have to admit I am looking foreward to less breasts, and really want it done. As long as its not putting myself in danger.
I had an anurysum over 5 years ago , and to this day have these same symptoms, some say its sinus trouble one doctor put me on verapimil {a blocker of sorts] yet today i sit here in pain and dont knoe what to do , health insurance ,lol I have iit but its not good. the main area seems to start from the very base of my skull, feels like a small cluster i just want to have removed. my memory sort term is getting worse , as is my typing lol. does anyone have any ideas?
I have pretty much the exact same symptoms going on as you. DX'd with Chiari Malformation Type 1, Arthritis, Migrane (migraine) disorder, kidney stones, gall bladdar issues. and so on and so on...
My new urologist decided to test me for this thing called ureaplasma on a hunch.. it's a bacteria in your urinary tract but it can spread throughout your body and just start a whole demolition of things it seems. And turns out it can be cured with certain antibiotics (make sure your partner takes a course for it too because you can transmit it through intercourse and you might want to check your children for it as well if you are DX'd with it because it can be passed from mother to child and you can have it for YEARS! without knowing about it.) I'm hoping this is the answer to my problems (hubby needs to get to the dr. to get his script for it so we can start the antibiotics together). It's worth a shot to look into it. I'm still exploring the success rate of the symptoms going away after treatment.. Good luck in your search from one falling apart woman to another. I know exactly what you're going through. Don't give up hope!