Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
fainting during period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

fainting during period

Im only 16 but since i can remember when ever i get my period its really heavy. I also allways get bad cramps, so bad i usually dont get out of bed. I have had to skip school because of it as well. The main problem is ive fainted a few times on the first day of my period, which is why i dont go to school when its my first day of my period. The first time was 8th grade and i fainted at lunch when i got my period and my teacher was really worried. It happens like this.. first i feel dizzy and naseous , then i start sweating and get really hot. Also i get cold sweats , then i faint. The second time was in grade 9 , and again i fainted but in class this time and they sent me to my doctor. I had a blood test and urine test and they didn't find anything wrong with me. So now i get scared when i get my period and its super heavy the first days , then gets lighter and lasts 7 days usually. Any ideas what this is?
I have this problem to. I was diagnosed with endometriosis when i was 12. i  would go to your GP and ask to be reffered to a gynocologist where they can help you with this problem.
hope you feel better soon!
Laura
Thanks for writing to the forum!

Generally the fainting is due to anemia or vaso-vagal attack following low blood volume. Please drink plenty of fluids during this time. Get your hemoglobin level checked. Take a good multivitamin for a few months. Consult a gynecologist. Sometimes a hormone therapy is needed to control the painful heavy periods. At times it is due to endometriosis, ovarian cysts or uterine fibroids. In some cases it is hereditary.

Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please consult a gynecologist for this. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Good luck, hun. I have this problem too and can sympathize. What a drag. I once fainted in front of all my classmates in the 10th grade. I say: MAKE SURE you're eating iron-rich food, such as legumes or meat. That prevents it somewhat. And definitely take Tylenol when you've got this problem. It helps kill the pain and makes you feel better.
If it's going to ruin your life like this, try and get your periods stopped when you can. I'm going to try that next year. I know, it's unfortunate that we won't be able to have kids, but we can still adopt. Don't feel bad. My mom had this too but she had a kid when she was 32. Maybe you still can? Don't try to lose weight. Stay above the minimum healthy weight..that way in case you have a problem, your body has reserves of nutrients.
I have the same problem I am only 18 & have passed out at least 10-15 times. I have asthma & have had a heat stroke. I've seen way too many doctors but all of them say everything is normal. Most of the fainting happens when I am about to start or am already on my period. I over heat, get dizzy, can't see, & down I go, I wake up & give it about 20 mins and I'm fine. I just want to knw what the cause is,?
Hii I'm 16 and I also faint when i have my period.. I fainted at school many times at the movies and at a football game while cheering. I have been to soo many doctors and had so many tests done but everything comes back normal! I dont know why but I usually only get my period every 2-3 months! When I faint I get dizzy and almost delirious my hands get tingly my eyes get glossy and I fall to the floor! If anyone has any ideas please let me know(: