fingernail
about 2 months ago i noticed a small black clover shaped thing under my nail (right down in the middle of my nail. i started a course of flucloxacillin and the nail started to turn a yellow brown colour. it swole up and looked like there was pus or liguid underneath the nail at the base. the doctor said i could either leave it or go to a&e and get it punctured to release pressure. i decided to leave it and i kind of peeled off part of the nail in the middle where it was mostly swollen (pus under it) my chemist adivised using magnesium sulphate to draw out the pus.  i am on my third course of anti biotics and it doesnt seem to be improving.  my nail has now peeled off in bits.  at the base where it joins my finger there is no nail now as well as the middle of the nail.  what happens now? it is quite painfull (the tissue). will my nail grow back properley even though there is still part of my nail there?
You may have a sub-ungal bruise, does it feel like pressure is under the nail and is there any history of trauma to it? If so you solve the problem at home. Heat up a pin and push it through the nail (like a hot knife through butter), stop as soon as you get through the nail because if you go into the skin you may permanenly damage future nails. Other likely cause is a fungal nail infection known as onychomycosis. This can be treated via oral medication or a nail lacquer.

Without a picture I feel I should mention these diagnosis just to cover all bases, though they are rare but important. Dark discoloration of the nails COULD indicate a acrolentiginous melanoma, nevomelanocytic nevus of the nail matrix or an endocarditis but I stress these are VERY rare. If worried look up the symptoms of the above and see if you match, www.dermatlas.org/derm/ is a good place to start. Any further questions feel free to ask.

Regards

Dr Foot