Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
hard lump behind ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

hard lump behind ear

i was just putting my 4 year old daughter in for her rest. she pushed her hair out of her face and said "ouch" and then asked me if she had a mosquito bite. i looked where it hurt and there is a hard bump/lump behind her ear on the bone part (not on the ear itself). i touched it and it hurts. it's about as big as an eraser on top of a pencil or a pea. it is not red or anything (skin color). i get very worried about these kind of things and will give her dr. a call but in the mean time i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what it may be? like i said, i am worried.
Tags: nodes, Cyst
It sounds like it is a lymph node. If she has been sick lately this would be the reason for the sore lymph node. You could get it checked by the doctor just to make sure.
thank you very much for responding! would you believe i just got off the phone and that is exactly what the dr. said! although my daughter has not been sick. she has been very stuffy with no other symptoms. not sure if its a cold or allergy? either way, i made an appt. to have it looked at.
should i put anything on it like an ice pack or warm cloth? will it get bigger? will it go away? (if that's indeed what it is) or will it need to be lanced? thank you for your time. worry wart here.
Lymph nodes are VERY reactive to touching. So the more you touch it the more it will stay enlarged. You don't need to put anything on it. It will get smaller on its own in time. Remember, the more it is touched the longer it will take to get to its normal size. I know it is scary to find any lump!
Take care!
Yep--lymph nodes----I just had a infection that dealt with my lymph nodes on the right side lower neck up to the top of my neck with the one behind my ear very very sore---I did not run fever---but I had heaches, and very tired----I did go to the doctor and we talked about mono---but he said it would not affect the nodes in that way---he did put me on some antibiotics----they helped----but I had to go back and then we talked about mumps---all in all everything was fine----I just had a bad infection and the nodes were trying to fight it off!!!!

Sincerely,

Giddychic
Last year I had a cyst behind my ear on the bone as well.  It was a cyst and my doc sent me to a surgeon.  He lanced it in his office and then packed it with this string gauze.  I was able to pull the gauze out the next day.  I had to take antibiotics for 7 days - since then, smooth sailing....
Hope this clears up soon - they can be tender to the touch which ever it is.
This morning I woke up and I was combing my hair and noticed a hard lump behind my ear where the skull meets the back of the ear.  It is not so hard that I cannot push it down, but very tender.  I have not been sick, I do not have any infection that I know of, what could be the cause of this?  I noticed the people who posted said either swollen lymph node or cyst, but I have not been sick, and can a cyst just pop up over night?  Please help!!  One more thing it is very warm in this area, and once again not on the ear but on top of the skull bone.
i too have had a small pea sized lump on my ear at the back, just near to the crease. (if you put your finger just behind the lobe and rest it in the soft part, it is just above there) it is tender to touch and has been there for nearly 3 months. i dont think it has changed in size and it isnt a different colour so you wouldnt see it there until you feel it.  i have not had the chance to go and see the doctor mainly because im not that worried about it but im curious to know what it could be. i will go to the doc eventually!
My son is only 4 years old and has been complaining of headaches for sometime now.  I noticed he has 2 lumps right behind his ear.  He had a cyst in his ear that he had to get removed 2 years ago.  Could he have more cyst that popped up or is it something else.  I don't know if the headaches are from the lumps or if they have nothing in commen. I am scared to find out what they are there are so many posibilities.  Someone please hepl!!!!!!!!!!!
hi doc, i have a slightly enlarged bump behind the right side of my ear. i just noticed it last night. my left side is perfectly normal. although i've been blowing my nose due to allergies this whole week, im thinking that might be the cause. im not sure if its a lymph node or not . i really hope its not something too serious because i dont have any health insurance.  i feel normal because i slept for 10 hours last night, i felt hungry this morning and ate two bowls of cereal. i dont feel weird or anything im not having severe headahces or seizures. please let me know what i should do. i'll try to stop touching it for a while but how long will it take for it to go away? thanks. god bless
I am glad I found this forum including this specific Topic: Hard lump behind the ear.
For almost a month now, I have been having sharp throbbing pains on my left side of the skull, mainly above the ear located right on the bone and thought it was just a migrane (migraine) due to dizziness and have been taking exedrine migrane (migraine).
While massage my left skull, I have noticed the lump located exactly on the left-side on the bone above my left-ear, as I pressed on it, the area seemed to trigger a point that made my migrane (migraine) even painful, then noticed that it travels to my left eye and beleive it or not even my left sinus area.
Ready to call the hospital for an appointment...
Any suggestions on what to do in the meantime or anyone would know what this could be?

Thanks,
DL
okay like a lot of people in here said i have a few hard flesh coloured lumps along the left side of my head. One directly behind the ear on the bone, two on the side of my neck and another slightly below the one on my ear bone. Im very concerned because they dont hurt to the touch it is just an uncomfortable feeling and i havent been sick lately. im not sure where to go from here. please help.!

thank you.
allie
I just had cysts removed from behind my right year.  Several months ago  I noticed a knot behind my ear.  At first sight, I thought maybe a large pimple, or boil.  I tried everything from hot compress to drawing save to pull out whatever it was, with no luck.  I finally called my doctor, and he said cyst.  Had my make an appointment to come back a week later for him to lance it.  What he told me was it was an infected sweat gland.  Once he lanced it, he found multiple very small cysts beside the large one.  Also informed me that he wouldn't be surprised if I had some reaccurrance because they may be some small ones that he couldn't see.  He cleaned up what he could, stitched me up and sent the mass to be tested just to be on the safe side.  Results:  cysts due to infected sweat gland.  Mine was pretty much painless.  Never did hurt due to touch, except for when I tried to pop the dumb things.  The funny thing was, when my doc examined it, he told me that he had another patient just a week before me with the exact same thing in the exact same place..........must be pretty common.  Hope this helps some............really was painless even the removal of it.  A little numbing medicine and it was gone!!!!!  I do know that if you leave it alone and not see your doc it will continue to get bigger............mine did!  Don't wait, make an appointment.............be on the safe side!!!!!!  Take care all!
i have this bump right behind my left ear. then another lump about 2 inches below that and to the right. the second one is like right on the hair line. and between the 2 lumps its hurts alot to touch it. also it hurts when i turn my head all the way to the left. do you have any idea as to what this might be?
I also have these problems. I have a small lump behind each ear but the 1 behind the right ear is bigger. I am also getting headache, earache and have a sore throat. I went to the doctor 3 days ago and they said it was a throat infection and the lumps were just lymph nodes. I dont see how a throat infection would give me headache and earach. He gave me antibiotics but they dont seem to be helping. I am going back to the doctor tomorrow as I am very scared now. Please can anyone give me some advice as to what this might be???
I went to the dr. today and I have an ear infection. While I was putting drops in my ears, I noticed this small bump right behind my ear lobe (behind the hole where an earring may go)...It's pretty tender and not that hard, but a little bit. I have no idea what it could be! Can someone help me? Thanks
I have recently discovered a hard bump in front of my right ear where my cartilage begins. Its skin color and it doesn't hurt. I'd say it is a pea size bump. I'm trying not to worry here but I've had it for a week now. Can anyone help me?????
Me again! Still having same problems as before ( see 2 comments up). Returned to the Dr 3 days ago and he said he had misdiagnosed me and they was not lymph nodes but just extra ear cartilage. I have since reasearched this on the web and no one else has reported this symptom. Could I still being wrongly diagnosed? I have had these lumps for 2 weeks now. They are not getting bigger but are hard and do not move. I also sometimes get ear, head and throat pain. I am really, really scared now. I have a 3 year old daughter and really dont want it to be anything serious. I am only 23. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
My husband had a couple of bumps on the back of his head and the only time they ever  bothered him was when he was getting a haircut.   He had been to the Doctor several times because they would swell up with fluid and time after time he was diagnosed with a sebaceous cyst.  They would lance it and it would go back down.  After finally getting a different Dr, he thought too that it was a sebaceous cyst and decided to remove it right there in the office.  When he cut it open, it began to bleed profusely.  The Dr.  immiediately sewed my husband back up and decided he needed a referral to a plastic surgeon for removal.  After removal, a biospy was performed and turned out that he did not have a sebaceous cyst, but did have a soft tissue sarcoma, basically, he had cancer.  They removed most of the cyst and sent him to radiation for 6 weeks to cover any thing that may have been missed.  I would say to anyone asking about a suspicious lump, go to a Dr, it could be the difference between life or death.  Thank god my husbands life was spared.  The cancer was a slow growing kind, also, thank god for that, because he had the bumps for about 7 years before getting diagnosed.   This has been the most challenging thing ever and we don't know if it will come back, or if it is even really gone.  I am also scared that the cancer could be hereditary.  Seek medical attention, even if its nothing, wouldn't it be better to know and have a chance to survive than not know at all?????
Yah, I have a lump behind my left ear but does not hurt when i touch it. It is a little soft but still hard. I also have a hard bump on the back of my skull/above my neck. I've had these for like years now...I'm not worried though.
My bump is behind my right ear. I do not have one behind the other one right now, but I did last week. If they are my lymph nodes then it is just one of many symptoms of  EBV (Epstein Barr Virus). I am just getting over being sick again. This time I also had a lump in my are pit. Lymph nodes there to. Just writing this so that if someone else is having swollen nodes they might want to check for the EBV virus. It can be chronic, like mine.
Hi my husband has had a small pimple behind his ear in the crease for about a month. The "pimple" has no head and was slightly sensitive to the touch.  Two nights ago when I was out he used a pin and popped the "pimple". The only problem is that when it popped nothing came out and now his whole ear is enlarged-almost double the size of his left ear. It is also very red and he says its numb and hurts emensely. We went to the hospital and they prescibed him w/an antibiotic called Duricef. It's been 72 hours and his ear pain and size has not decreased. Has this happened to anyone before? Can anyone help?  
We have been treating my husband for bells palsy for the last 5 1/2 weeks.  He was hospitalized last week for tests due to a lump behind his ear that is extrememly painful.  His vision is blurry, his right arm is tingley and he has severe headaches.  The tests ranged from blood work, MRI to a spinal tap.  All tests came back fine.  Does anyone know what he could have?  
About 3 days ago, I started getting these headaches. I figured it was from stress (it's finals week at school) and tried to sleep it off. But they aren't going away. I have a lump behind my left ear, right on the bone. I didn't notice it until I tried massaging my neck and head... the more I touch it, the more it aches. The headaches I get are a constant aching pain, not a sharp pain. I'm wondering if this is just my lymph nodes fighting an infection? I haven't been sick lately, not that I know of anyway. Any ideas?
thanks for all your help with my lump behind my ear. i read marjority of everyones lymph nodes situations and mines is somewhat just the same. i just realized mines today the funny thing is mainly everyone stated it was on the right side. well all i can say is that i will keep it clean and my hands off of it so it can go away. thanks again everyone
my husband notice my lump behind my right ear about, well almost a year ago now and it's growing, size of a marble now, it hurts. when im sleeping on my right side, i have to pull my ear out a little away from my lump behind it, because it hurts a lot when sleeping on it. even when i try to clean my ear with a q-tip, it hurts, it feels like my ear is closing in , i also have pain on my right side of my neck, i get headaches on right side, dizzy once or twice a week, feel like im going to black out any time, any where. my back hurts a lot too. my head on top is always itching, it hurts, my sister looked at it, said it was red, really red. when i touch my lump behind my ear it hurts, it feels like a bone. when to the clinic a few months ago, maybe 6 months, they told me, if i had a cold or something, said that it will go a way by it self soon, fighting an infection. but now im worried. for me to see a doctor, i'll have to wait a long time, like a month or so, i live in a small community, only 2 doctors come by twice a week, and we have to made appointments too, because theirs so many people who want to them too. please help, tell me what i have. really need to know. it's not going way, it's actually growing a little at a time. i had to let my hair grow, so no one will see it.
I noticed I have a knot as well behind my left ear maybe 3 weeks ago. It doesnt hurt and it is hard I have no idea exactly how long it has been there. I particiate boxing, judo, and Jiu Jitsu, so my ear gets hit or folded up quite a bit, do you think that could have anything to do with it? I have somecauliflower ear on that same side so my friends do make sure to hurt it more...

Id appreciate any help at all anyone could give me. Im kind of worried about it hope someone can help
Thanks in advance
i recently noticed that there are 2 lumps behind my right ear and 3 on the left. they dont hurt but when you push on them they feel a little tender. i just got my hair bleached.... could that have done anything to me like maybe irritated some glands? i'm really freaked out. i dont have insurance to go to the doctor and i dont know what to do. can anyone help me?
I was putting my earring on the other day and I noticed a hard lump on my skull behind my right ear and I'm not going to lie.. it freaked me out. My family told me to wait a week and see if it goes down and if not.. to get it checked out. I am just really nervous waiting around.. should I be?
im a 18 year old male.

ive had a lump behind my right ear that is hard for as long as i can remember, i thought everyone had them util the other day when someone asked what the lump was now ive got my self all worked up. please help
I've recently noticed a lump, size of a pea, behind my right ear. It is painful to the touch and warm to the touch. Can't sleep on that side, either.   I went to the doctor today and she put me on a regimen of strong antibiotics- said we'll watch for a week and if no better, may need to see a surgeon about lancing it. Not thrilled about this, so hoping the antibiotics help... MRSA was mentioned as a DISTANT possibility so that has me a bit freaked out, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will just disappear.  Your thoughts?
i also have two hard lumps behind my left ear and am very worry that they are not gonna go away they seems to be coming closer together and now starting to hurt i went to the carenow and they just prescribe me medicine but dint give me any explanation iam so worried do i go to the emergency?
K so I have been taking 1500mcg of vit b12 the last few days.  I was taking 1000 but ran out and bought the wrong one so I thought probably be ok just give me more energy.  Well all of a sudden I now have a small lump behind both ears (I guess on the bone), back right side of skull, and 1 back of neck which is almost gone.  Just curious if it's because of the increase of b12 or what?  I'm not sick nor have I been in like 3 or 4 weeks, never noticed them before.  Just seems like they're popping out everywhere??  
I HAVE A GROWTH BEHIND MY LEFT EAR THAT IS HARD AND HAS A CRUMBLY FEEL LIKE A WART. IT DOESN'T HURT BUT I PICK AT IT ALL THE TIME .DOES ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA WHAT IT IS
I discovered a lump behind my left ear about a week ago on my way to church. I never felt it there before and my mother n law who is a RN has no idea what it could be either. I am getting pretty worried about what it could be and I use to have headaches everyday and they were pretty intense. I am going to go to the clinic on Monday to see what they have to say about and let you all know what they said.

Tamara
hi ,i have behind the right ear gland for 2 months ,front of head very small for 2 -3 weeks and neck pain .i am very very worried about what it could be
I was taking my ear ring out this morning and I noticed a hard lump behind my ear where the skull meets the back of the ear.  It is not so hard that I cannot push it down, but very tender.  I have not been sick, I do not have any infection that I know of, what could be the cause of this?  I noticed the people who posted said either swollen lymph node or cyst, but I have not been sick
I also found a huge lump behind my left ear.  This was after having a huge boil like bump on the top of my head.  I now have lumps in front of the left ear and in front of the right ear on my face.  I have had headaches but I have migraines.  They are very tender and the left side hurts all the time.  Does anyone have any idea what this could be?  
hey there
i have had this lump behind my righr ear for like years now
i found it when i was 4.. and forgot about it
but im 14 now and im a tad worried
it doesnt hurt or anything, and hasnt grown.
im hoping its nothing harmful
does anyone know what it could be?
help pleaseee
also with my last comment,
its a hard lump, like its a bone and connected to everything. kind of like the one on the inside of your foot, but smaller.
please help
so reading through everyone elses comments here, i too have discovered a small pea sized lump behind my right ear.. i have had no signs of sickness, rather then an irregular amount of headaches.. i cant sleep on it and it hurts to touch. i have no clue what it is and am a little stressed out about it all. i have had it for almost three days and am reading of all the possiblilties and becoming slightly worried !!
HELP, please :(
I was biten 6 times by mosquitos and the very next day (today) I too found a lump behind my left ear on the bone.  I'm more concerned it may have something to do with West Nile since it is prominent here.  My head aches, sore neck, irritability is combined with nausea.  I don't know how worried I need to be about this?!
My son is 8 years old and last year I noticed a lump behind his ear on the bone behind the ear. The Doctor thought it was a swollen lymph node from strep throat. I kind of forgot about it until the other night I was
helping my son in the bath and noticed the lump was still there? It seems to move a little and feels kind of hard but squishy.  How can I be sure this isn't a sign of Cancer.  I am going  to take him back to the doctors. He hasn't been sick lately and acts normal.  Help I can't help to think the worst.   The internet has me thinking that way.
Hi - looks like I am certainly not alone.  I noticed a lump on my skull bone right behind my right ear approximately 2 weeks ago.  I had been swimming more than usual and attributed it to that - however, it hasn't gone away.  It is normal in color and only painful if pushed on - no other symptoms - no growth that I can tell.  I went to the Dr. today and she is sending me to a General Surgeon next week to have it removed.  She did not seem concerned and did not seem to believe it was lymph-connected- called it a cyst.  They will send it off to be sure nothing is abnormal and I will keep everyone posted -especially to those of you who can't fit an appointment in right now.  I know how hectic life can be...so glad I found this chat.
My daughter has been having bad headaches for the last three days,she was lifting her hair and found a hard knot behind her ear i am wondering if maybe it could be a tumor my 3 year old niece had one and had to have it removed please help what could this be?
well i went to the doctor today to check out this hard lump behind my ear. it is very similar to waht michelle99 posted about. and it was indeed a swollen lymph node. i had gone camping last week over the 4th of july and had gotten a ton of bug bites. I react really badly to them, my the right side of my face (where i got bit) had swelled up. my doctor told me that its not serious, it will go down on its own, and actually found another small one under my chin and said it was teh same thing (i didnt' even notice that one). he said that if i get more or they get bigger, or get a fever, chills, or headaches,  to get it checked again, but most likely it will heal on its own, i could get a permanent bump but its not a big deal. i hope this helps.
I have just discovered this same lump as everyone is talking about. I kind of freaked out at first, but I am going to go to the doctor to get this checked out. I hope it is not serious and it is an office visit and some antibiotics and go home. I have five kids and I would hate for this to be bad news. Its sounds like we all have the same problem and my wife thought I was just nuts and said it was a vein behind my ear. Good luck to everyone.
I have the same problem everyone is talking about.  I find it strange that everyone is having a problem with the right ear.  Did anyone ever think that is could have to do with us holding the cell phone to our right ear??
I, too, had a lump (hard knot) behind my ear when I was 22. It was on the mastoid bone. After about 4 days I broke out with German Measles - never had them before. That area on the mastoid bone is still a little larger than the other.

Basilan
With the latest recent studies having proven that brain cancer is indeed linked to cell phone usage, that is exactly what I was thinking when I found a lump behind my right ear last week!  I plan to see a doctor, because while it just being a lymph node sounds good, I can't know for sure what it is on my own, so I figure it's better to be safe than sorry!  Also, I am going to use only the speakerphone or a headset whenever I'm on a cell phone from now on; this is especially important for kids!!
I also have a big hard lump underneath the skin behind my right ear.
ive had this for years now, at least 5 years. if not longer than that.
im 22 years old, and kept putting off seeing the dr cause i was scared.
i went to the dr yesterday finally and she said it seemed to have looked like
a cyst. she said i could see someone to have it removed. i was wondering if this
was a painful process? how long it takes to heal? and if it could grow back or anything like that?
thanks!
I have also had a lump behind my left ear.  It has been there for probably 4 years.  It is tender to the touch, it doesn't move, so I don't think it's a  lymphnode.  Anyway, it freaks me out...know what it could be?
I have a knot behind my ear and it is hard and very sore when i touch it does anyone know what this could be it is skin color and has grown alittle in the past week. Do you know what this could be?
I have been getting swollen lymph nodes behind my ear and on the back of my head and neck since 1989,  I went to several Dr.s none of them knew why. My ENT finaly took one out and it came back as agravated so still no real results. That node was the one that came up 1st and was the most painfull and I have had less episodes since the removal. I have also had Mono(epstein barr) 3 times and I think that had alot to do with it!
Hello. I have a lump behind my right near. its right below the ear lobe. It hurts to touch and is kind of red. should i be concerned? im only 20years old. should i see a doctor? ive had a lot of blood work lately and it was fine expect my amylease was high and they could not find any reason why...
Reading about all these similar bumps is re-assuring.  I'm a 56-year old woman who's battled cystic issues for twenty-five years and found this site while researching yet another bump behind the ear.  My reason for posting is this: I can tell you without hesitation that if you have a fluid-filled lump that is tender to the touch and is near or on hair follicles, I'd bet it's an infected sebaceous gland.  My first one scared me to death and I had it removed by a doctor.  Then, they unfortunately came with some regularity and I got used to them (although hating every minute of it).  I recently found one right in the middle of my hair, near my right temple, and after I swore once or twice, I realized it would be going away soon even though I was again disgusted by this fate of nature that would cause us to go through it.  I've researched these things for endless hours to see if there's any supplement, any new topical, any vitamin, any hygiene procedures, etc. that will eliminate them and I'm sorry to say, I can't find anything.  I'm convinced they're due to hormones and I imagine if my doctor had foresight twenty years ago, he may have been able to get me started on hormone treatments to counter them.  But the worst is over for me, thank goodness.  I just wanted to lend a little support because I truly understand and hope that, if you're worried to a point that it's negatively impacting your life, you'll see someone right away to take that worry away.  Stay safe & happy.
i went to a doc. and he told me its some kind of clog between the sinus and ear and he perscribed me sudafed and flonaise  it hasn't started to help yet!!  but i just got them 2 hours ago
hey i am 15 years old, and scared out of my mind. I'm crying so hard, I think I am going to grow another one. People keep telling me different things of what it is. I need to know if there is away to get ride of it, with out surgery. I am terrified of surgery because of everytime i went to the doctors they always mess up on me. So if i have surgery, i am afraid they will mess up on me. An i will have no control while i'm asleep. I need some help now. My mom wont help me. So I need someone. I have like three of them growing behind my ear. An one of them seems like its growing up my head. It does hurt. The nurse at my school said its just probably a pimple inside, and to put a hot cloth on it. Its not going away its almost a week now. HELP PLEASE I AM ONLY 15... i have so many health promblems as is...I am tired of hearing bad news i am stress.... to give me any info heres my email... ***@**** or my myspace because i barley go to my email... ***@**** ..... please i am so scared
I just found a bump behind my right ear yesterday, on the bony part just before touching on the crease. It is sensitive to the touch. Just about a week ago a had an ache around where my cheeck bone and jaw meet but a thought nothing of it, I did think it was odd because it felt like i had been chewing on hard gum but hadn't. I also remember feeling on both sides of my face and ears for any differences, no differences. And then yesterday i felt this bump only on one side!!  I haven't been sick so this is weird for me.  I would like some advice if anyone can give it. The first thought is ofcourse CANCER!!!  Help
Hey People, I'm 37, Male and I too have a hard lump behind my left ear. I've had it since I was 7 years old and the family doctor told my folks not to worry about it. So I haven't. It's been with me pretty much all my life and has never bothered me whatsoever. If it's cancer surely I'd be dead by now, but I'm alive and kicking in good health. However, just recently it became sore to the touch but I think it may have something to do with a fall I had over teh weekend. It's possible i whacked my head in that area and aggravated it. In any event, I'm going to see my Doc tomorrow for an un-related checkup. I'll get him to check it out and see if there's anything I can pass on to you. I don't think this is a serious issue and from the sounds of it. MANY people on here are jumping to conclusions about cancer. In my case I'm certain it's a cyst that's finally starting to act up after 30 years.
I have a bump (lump) behind my right ear it is larger than a pea or a pimple... it is a little smaller than a dime around. it is slightly raised, not bulging out so much... it doesn't hurt, but i can definetly feel some sort very very slight pain if i press it too hard. it is pretty tender, not mushy or really soft. It isn;t discolored. It is right next to my hair line behind the middle area behind my ear. Should I be worried? I haven't been sick recently other than have a cold for a couple weeks, a couple weeks ago... I just discovered this today. HELP! A lymph node doesn't sound right....

My dad has a lump on his back ear and I think it's a lymph node but does it have to be removed or it can stay there? what is the best thing to do? pls help. If it stay there would anything bad happen? sorry im just rely worried!
I just noticed that I have a hard bump behind my ear on the right side and I'm really scared. My husband told me not to worry because he thinks it's a lymph node. He said that he had one and it went away, and he also said not to touch it-just to let it be. I always think about the worst so I'm going to the doctor's office tomorrow. Good luck to everyone.
Hi my son had this tiny bump behind both his ears since born, he's now 6 yrs old. For years I forgot about the lump but just now I happen to touch his ears, his right side seemed bigger than a normal person's, while left side is also bigger, but not as big as the right side. It seems a common problem, so many people talk about it. How come there's no proper scientific diagnosis and term for it? Seems that some have said it's a swollen sweat gland, a swollen lymph node, a cyst, it could be harmless and may reduce in size on its own, or worst case scenario, a cancer. May I know what happend to those who have left a thread here? have not heard replies from you all. Would love to know what happend. Hope there is a proper medical term for it else doctors can misdiagnose it too as there seems several possibilities.
i have 2 bumps on right side of neck directly behind my ear. and the right side of inner throat is tender when i swallow the lumps are hard and top one marble size and bottom one pea size. what should i do any answers would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
For the last 4 days iv had a hard very painful lump behind my ear i visited a doctor today and he told me that it was a cyst that was inflamed and infected.
he perscried me tablets and told me that if it didnt clear up in the next week i have to get it removed in hospital im afraid of many things like what if it bursts or what if they cant remove it?im only 15 and i dont want the thaught of I MIGHT DIE in  my head  please Help!!im soooooooooo scared anyone have any idea's?
please add me and tell me.
I have behind my right ear two hard lumps that have been present for the last twelve years. One of them is smaller then the other. One is the size of a nickle the other a dime. In the last couple of months my left arm twitches and my head jerks to the left, often it would only happen once but now it is becoming more recurrent. The lumps hurt when i touch them and the twitching has become more annoying. are these connected or are they seperate issues. My Dr. simply told me that the lumps would go away. So far they havent.
That you.  
Welcome to the forum!
Long standing lump behind the ear could be lipoma (localized collection of fat), an inflamed lymph node or a neurofibroma (localized harmless swelling in of nerve and connective tissue). Swollen lymph nodes behind your ears could be due to recurrent chest infection, tonsillitis or pharyngitis, dandruff, infection of ear or even metastasis from a cancer. It could also be of tubercular pathology. A fine needle biopsy or a CT scan of the swelling is only confirmatory. You need to get it investigated as this is probably causing pressure symptoms. Maybe you can take another opinion from a different doctor.
Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
i have the exact same thing and just rang doctors for an appointment i havnt been very sick at all! but been very tired. and hard to actually sleep. they only hurt at touch but i have a throbbing headache for a while now. could this be a lymth node?
Welcome to the forum!
Yes, it could be a lymph node. You may not have been sick but local infections like dandruff or a dermatitis too can cause a lymph node to swell and be tender. It could also be a folliculitis or an abscess. An infected cyst is also a possibility. All these would give you a headache due to inflammation.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

my daughter has a soft lump/bump at her back..though its not hurting her but im just worried what it is...and worried that might getting bigger...
hi ive got two lumps behind my ear about 2inches away from ear ,ive not had any infections of any kind recently .they only hurt at night when i experience a twanging sensation ,i am getting constant headache and have done for a afew  months now , i am not sleeping well ,i have lost 7lbs in the last week can you help should i be concerned ?
mmm
I found a lump like many others here behind my right ear on the bone.  Weird thing is when I try to push on it. IT makes me feel nausous and (I have Epilespy and just started having seizures again in June after being seizure free for 30 years) I did not notice this until a few days ago but I am wonder if this is what set off my seizures again.. I have an appointment with the Neuro next week. I will be finding out then what this is all about.. I will try to come back and let everyone know what I find out. My Family doc told me over the phone that she thinks it is a lymph node until I told her it makes me fell as though I am going to go into a seizure if I press on it.> She said stop playing with it. She then said it could be a cyst but have the Neuro check it on Wed.
i was on this site, and i have a lump behind my ear that just appeared, and it was there for some time, then as i stated i googled lump behind my ear, and this page came up, on someone's comment someone mention a hot towel placing it behind the ear , for 15mins  at a time as many times as you like i guess, but anyway i did this i actually boiled my water and wet it and took it as hot as i could and the lump is actually starting to go down ... so i just wanted to share that with anyone that hasnt tryed that yet, good luck... my ear no longer hurts and hopefully no more headaches due to this bump behind my ear .  
The bump behind my ear is very hard(like bone its apart of the skull) I can't push on it. Its painless though. I'm worried does anybody know what that is. I also have a history of very painful headaches.
Hi, I have found a hard lump on the left side of my face sitting on my jaw bone. It is not connected to the bone and seems to move slightly when I touch it. It is not sore in any way and feels solid. Any ideas what it could be???
thats weird you say that beacuse alot of people on here seem to have the same thing.I found the same thing on my right ear on the same spot and its kind of moveable if you pinch it and it doesnt hurt and its skin colored,im really,really scared since i'm only 13 i dont want it to be a tumor,and i am almost positive its just a bump.Its really scary to even think of that.I have also been getting some dizziness and a faint ringing in myear,have you had that?
My lump has been with me as long as I can remember (I am 20), and it  is quite hard, not tender. It started to pain for the first time exactly 5 yrs ago. Now I have 2 more, 1 in the ear lobe, and 1 where the ear lobe meets the rest of the ear, and both hurt real bad, although I am on antibiotics. I get headaches often, mostly due to stress.
Maybe 6 month ago I noticed a hard lump behind my ear, then later another one. They are both hard but don't hurt at all. I have been under a lot of stress and guess that is the way my body reacted. I went to the doctor and she said that they were lymph nodes. To exclude any serious suspicions she recommended to take a blood test. It came with everything normal. I asked her if they will go away and she said that it all depends on what kind  of lumps are they. Some that filled with fluids and soft tissue might go away totally, some, as mine, are like calluses might go away a bit but lumps will remain for good. As well she recommended to keep an eye on them by measuring every month or so.    
I have a two bumps. One behind my ear and one under my armpit. What does it mean? I ask my doctor about the one behind my ear he told my it had something to do with fine hairs, I asked anther doctor about it and she told me it could be assist and that i couldn't remove it because it was attach to one of my mane glands. I recently just discover another bump under my armpit, both on my major glands i havn't seen a doctor yet, but i don't have to know something is wrong with me. I called a doctor today so lets see what they say nexts...
my friend had a bump behind her ear and it ended up being cancer and i just found one and it is scaring the crap out of me i think i might pass out i really hope it isnt cancer
I am a 45 year old healthy male, just returned from Mexico with my family.  I have been going through the heat exhaustion, bathroom cycle for 3 days now.  The other day my wife talked me into going to the clinic/Hospital and they said you have a bug, drink water, eat what you can (list of items) and tough it out.  I am turning the corner on this now... at least the frequent bathroom trips  : )   But yesterday I, too, discovered the lump (pea sized, not read, behind my left ear in the middle.  it hurts to touch it, so I don't.   I hope it's because I picked up E Coli or Samonella or something and the poison in my body is creating it.  So for those worried about this, it's all new for me.  I hope it's something in the body that the lymph isn't happy with and that's it.  

To all the parents out there if u find a lump on your child get it checked it could be rhabdomyosarcoma symptoms can be headaches too make the dr test it is a fast growing childhood cancer early detection is important
My 8 year old daughter has a pea size lump behind her ear and it seems to be a reactive gland. She has been for 2 ultra sounds in 2 months and it has not changed in size. The doctor suggested bloodwork and her to go see an ENT doctor. I am really worried it could be cancer or something. Anyone else out there that has gone through this and has information about it?
there is no doubt about it that the lump behind your ear is a lymph node. the fact is, that everyone has several lymph nodes all over in their body, but the lymph nodes can become swollen, thus causing a small lump or ball to form near the surface of the skin. when this occurs this means that the lymph node is increasing its production of antibodies to fight off some type of infection, virus, or disease. some of these may include an ear infection, eye infection, scalp infection, an allergic reaction, and in some instances it can be something much more serious such as lymphoma and leukemia cancers, lupus, and other various diseases. generally if it is only the size of a pea, or less then 1/3 of an inch, the chances are that it is something less serious. however, if it is very big, keeps getting bigger, or painful then unfortunately thats a sign that your lymph node is having a hard time fighting off whatever is trying to effect your body, and that it might be something more serious.  A swollen lymph node behind ear or in any other area is usually not a very serious condition. Sometimes, CT scan, X-ray and biopsy are also required to determine the exact causes. The treatment of swollen lymph nodes including the one that appears behind the ear, depends mainly on the underlying causes. However, if they are painful and also growing in size, then it is better to consult a physician to detect the underlying cause.

hi, i have just noticed a very sizable lump on my daughters head behind her ear and am quite conserned about it. she is only 2 and has a hell of a time with illnesses but nothing like this before. the lump is about the same size as a ver fat grape. it is quite hard but feels moveable (if that even makes any sence)
at first i thought maybe a bite or sting but there is no redness to confirm this.
she has chicken pox and the minuet but this is definatly NOT one of them, it is normal skin colour and quite big. she has been sleeping lots for the past 3 days and hasnt eaten a proper meal for about a week now. i put this down to the chicken spots but maybe im wrong??? anyway does anyone have any idea what it is? my doctors is closed now but i will be phoning nhsdirect later but i just need a little advice in the mean time. hopefully i can get to the bottom of this.
I'm 17 and have all these health problems. I have terriable terriable ears. I just happened to notice this mysterious lump behind my ear. I'm very sure I have an ear infection as well so this lump could be a symptom of that, although i've never had one before. It hurts quite a bit and the pain is spreading down my neck and up my head giving me these terriable headaches. I have read most of these peoples story and it seems like it isn't a big deal, but me always having something new always cause me problems, I would like to know the possibilities of what it could be. Thanks!
I just found to large hard painful bumps behind my ear. One is the size of a quarter and the other right under the size of a eraser head. Its very heard and i cant move it. if i turn my head to the left the pain runs down to the bottom of my ear lobe. Also if i open my jaw very wide. Hochkins runs in my family and im kinda nervous. I had a sinus infection a month ago and am fine now. For more then a month ive been constantly itchy all over and never knew why. Also i have been sleeping alot lately. I dunno i will make a dr apt right away but still very concerned.
How lng does it tkes to go away. After u took tha medication tha Dr. describe.
i have a hard lump behind my right ear my doctor thought it was a cyst so she cut it out but instead of a cyst it was my lymph node now thats gone and the lumps still there going to a ENT doctor soon i hope he knows wat it is =/
I have a lump behind my ear on both ears, why do i have two? when most people only have one? and ideas. many thanks
I currently have diagnosed Mastoiditis and i have the same lumps behind my right ear. One small pea sized and another wider one. It gives me on and off headaches, dizzyness, i get off balanced, vertigo etc. I got xrays and mri's done and it points to mastoiditis (ear infection of the mastoid). So im taking antibiotics but theyre not helping. Amoxicillin for a month  you name it. If you guys have lumps behind the ear just go check it out because it can be serious. Just ask for an xray, ct or mri scan to find out. Especially if you get headeaches or any ailments out of the blue on a normal basis.

Doctor i wanted to ask you if you know of the average duration i need to be on antibiotics if diagnosed with Chronic Mild Mastoiditis? Ive heard up to 6 months!!!! (Thats Insane) Can you please help me out, im just looking for different opinions besides my Doctors and Ent's.
About 3 weeks ago i noticed a pea sized lump on the bone behind my ear.  It hurt for a few days but now no pain. It seemed to be growing for about a week but now has remained the same size.  It does not move when I push on it and is hard.  I already have a cyst on my wrist that has been diagnosed as non cancerous, and it doesn't feel like that.  I do have severe allergies and have had them for about 5 years.  Could it be a swollen lymph node?  I don't have health insurance so i can't get it checked out.  If anyone has any information or thoughts Please let me know! Thanks!
hi my names ashlee i got a cold lasst week and im still fighting the cough i woke up monday morning and i noticed a tiny bump behind my ear at the bottom im trying not to touch it but it hurts really bad and i think it has gotten worse.  please let me know whats going on oh and also my ear inside has been hurting lika crazy
i found lump behind my son's ear who is 8  .it just apppeared over night and was sore to touch. went to docs who said much the same that was inflamed node.and if he becomes pale or sick or find more lumps to go back but my son's not been ill or even had a cold for months .after a couple of weeks it went down.  then my son noticed it was back and within couple of days there was 3 lumps . sometimes his ear goes really red and hot and its sore as well.dont know wither to be worried or  am i  just neurotic mother . dont know wither to go back to docs or wait little long to see if they go.
my name is thomas and i noticed on early sunday 9.12.2010 a skin color 3/4" size bump or lump behind my left ear and it just happened overnight, there's no pain and when i touced it felt somewhat soft not hard like many other posts iv'e read. i do have a dermetitius condition that's heredetary and i was told by my doctor it's not life threatening but this bump or lump is a different matter. i've read other's say they have the same thing and they've been told it's not that serious. i'm going to my doctor today monday 9.13.2010 for a check up, and if it's cancer she will tell me otherwise. i had blood, urine and stool tests done 3 month's ago and there was no sign of cancer. my x-ray's did reveal a small spot outside my lung in left area of my chest and she told me it wasn't serious.

i've lost about 30 lbs weight on my own from cutting down my intake of food for i was quite overweight and now feel better the weight is off but am now trying to regulate it, sometimes tough to.  my dermititus is non-curable but not life threatening as my doctor told me and she gave me prescription strength cortizone 2.5, it helps my scalp but i think it interaced with my lymph nodes and that's why the one hehing left ear is swollen, is this life threatening?

i've read many others with same condition telling everyone it's not life threatening and it's not getting any larger and not movng around. it just happened overnight when i noticed it, i was checking how my infected scalp was doing behind the ear for i have psorisis and that's when i noticed this bump or lump, any advise from anyone? i know my doctor will tell me what's going on later today but just want to get ahead of my doctors diagnosis.

when she told me i had no cancer but a small spot on left side of chest ouside lung cavity and wasn't serious and not to worry i was relaxed but now this, can anyone tell me if i might possibly have cancer? it's a risk factor in my family history. i've lost several relatives including my father from cancer. if my doctor diagnoses me with cancer of any kind today i will go out of my mind for my wife will be the one suffering most of my possible loss.

i'm for the first time in my life truely scared stiff. the last thing i want is to die from any cancer. i've been monitoring it about 15-20 times daily since yesturday sunday and though i've touched it sunday a few times i'm not now for by touching it can probably make it worse. please someone advise who's in this same situation, thank you.

thomas from orange county, CA
I have the same thing just behind my ears two lumps large on the ends and thinner in the middle there not tender (though I have a high tolerance to to pain) there hard and if I push in on them they just move around but always go back to were they were at i don't get sick in months if not a good year so it can't be that, they might be lymph nodes but i really doubt it there always there never gone away so i don't really know what they are, (hence I'm typing this) I'm 18 and they have been there for as long as I can remember, any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated
I also have a hard lump behind my right ear which started as a knot time bump when i was on holiday, about a week ago a small lump appeared behind my right ear which was painful but is not now and seems to be going down,
I went to see my doc who  checked me for infection and said i was clear and they were swollen lynth nodes

i explained that i am a music producer and spend alot of time listenin to loud music both from the speakers and from close up on headphone and he says that this is no doubt the cause of the swelling and didnt even give me antibiotics, just told me to let them go down in ther own time
I have been having terrible headaches, dizziness, and off and on numbess of my left foot/hand. I thought maybe it was a pinched nerve - went to the chiro he said I was fine and it seems neurological. Went to my primary care who ordered an MRI...paid a lot of money for that which came back normal..now still having these headache and they are consistent..meaning they never go away..from the time i wake up and then go to sleep. It's hard to fall asleep because my head is throbbing. Now I feel this bump on the left back of my head behind my ear..one on my right as well..tender to the touch..EXTREMELY tender but left hurts way more..what is wrong with me??? And what type of doctor should I go to..and ENT or a neurologist?
my daughter is 11 and about three weeks ago she decides to tell me she has 2 lumps behind her right ear, she said they have been there since the beginning of summer, so that means they have been there for about 6 months, and i aslo noticed that she has been having frequint headaches, the school has called on several ocassions and asked if they cud give her something for it. i took her to the doc. they did blood work and said she didnt have any kind of infection, so it wasnt her lymphnoids, so i took her to another doc. and he put her on atibiotics, after i told him that she didnt have an infection, and we waited 2 weeks to see if they wud go down, and they didnt, so i called my family surgon, and he sent her for an ultrasound, while we were there the radioligist came into to our room and started asking questions, and said he wasnt sure what it was he thinks fatty tissue, but it was up to my surgen, what to do next, can u force a docter to do a biopsy? because with all the cancer that has been in my family, especially, with my self and her grandmother im really spooked about all this.  
i'm a 13 (nearly 14 ) year old girl. for the past 2 years i've had a lumpd behind my ear UNDER the skin. it hasn't hurt at all but grown considerably. over the past few months many more have grown all around both ears and down my neck as low as my shoulders. most of them do not hurt but i have a constant stabbing pain from one and one that seems to hurt in the cold. i've been to the doctor's many times and they either cannot feel them or pass them off as Lymph nodes. they usually only bother too feel 1 or 2 though and i feel there are just too many to be Lymph nodes. i mean you can't have THAT many glands in one spot can you? for a while now i've been worried about cancer. my mum recently had a tumor remover. could this be the same thing or am i just paranoid? Mum thinks it could be a dairy allergy. is this possible? plese comment. i'm starting to worry. the pain is getting worse.
My son hit my head and now I have a nickel sized lump behind my left ear and it is tender should I be worried? What could it be?
I too have lumps behind the ear lobe, just about the soft spot for a few months now.  I also had a larger one form just below my left jaw about a year ago.  I also have had bad headaches in the past.  never thought there might be a connection till i read this thread and a lot of people who have these lumps appear to have headaches too.  i went to 2 ENTs.  one was a jerk and said cyst about 2 seconds in.  the other was like a perfect doctor taking time to listen and to explain everything and he said it was a lymph node.  i took atibiotics and it got a little smaller, but still there.  the little ones behind the ear also still there.  now another formed just yesterday above the same ear in the crease.  feels very similar to acne under the skin so i keep thinking they'll pop, but they never do.  maybe that's why they
I have a pea sized bump in my ear right ght in front of my eardrum my whole ear feels so sore I can not touch it or lay on it I have had it for 3 days each day getting worse my mother only says put poroxide in it but it hasn't helped me please give me a solution!
I have had a small lump behind my left ear for some time now i have no idea what caused it im 26 and i have 4 kids rarely i will get headaches but in the past i have had dizziness and i have had like a muscle spasm like feeling in the front of my head. but the muscle spasms havent happened for about 2 years now. if anyone can relate please let me know..

also ppl always say they will b back to post updates after they go to the doctor i would really like to see their updates but they arent coming back... please come back and post your updates im very interested...
Hey,
i am 14 years old, so im not very good with these sort of things. i have a bump near the back of my neck on the lower, left hand side. u cant notice it until u touch it. if i mess with it, i can tell that it's a ball and it feels like there's one right behind too, any idea what it is? i honestly dont think it's a cyst though. . .
I'm 22 years old and I experience bumps in my ear for 6 years. The first time I had a bump was when I was 17 and than at 19. I didn't pay any attention to it because I thought it was just a pimple. It went away on its own in 2 weeks. Now that i'm 22, I get very worried about my health everytime I get sick, or whatever. My fear is getting a disease or dying too young because of things that have happen in my life like family members and their diseases. Today I'm very concern because I find that I have 2 bumps on the back of my left ear and on top left of my ear. One appeared around 4 o clock p.m. and the other appeared just an hour ago. When I was trying to iche the back of my ear, it hurt real bad, and I thought I might popped a vessel. It happen twice in one day in the same ear. There wasn't any bump there when I did iche it. All of the sudden I felt a bump when I touch the part where I iche to see if i'm bleeding or something. So now i'm trying to do research to see why I have a bump in my left ear and I came onto this site. I see people saying it's cyst. I looked up cyst and it doesn't seem healthy at all. The only reason why we all could get it is from genetics, lack of nutrition, and lack of exercise. Plus it's cancerous, and deadly if not treated. I don't believe I have cyst, but if it don't go away in a month, I will go see a doc to get it checked out. Remember guys, if you keep touching it or irritating it, the bump will remain and it might grow if you not careful.
I ALSO HAVE LUMPS ONE BY MY RIGHT EAR ONE ON THE BONES AT THE BASE OF MY SKULL AND A COUPLE ABOVE IT IN MY HAIR, THE PAIN IN MY HEAD IS A SHARP STABBING TYPE PAIN, IT HURTS TO COMB MY HAIR AND TO TOUCH THE AREA IS TO PAINFULL TO DO, I AM CALLING THE DOCTOR TO GET AN APPOINTMENT BECAUSE I CAN FUNCTION WITHOUT STRONG PAIN KILLERS AND I CANT WORK OR DRIVE TAKING THEM. I WILL FOLLOW UP ON THIS IF I GET AN ANSWER OR IF SOMETHING WORKS. MAYBE IT WILL HELP SOMEONE ELSE.
last night i noticed a bump at the start f my jawline and thought it was a swollen gland, however after that I had another bump which appeared behind my ear further out which made me panic then another one appeared right behind my ear on the bone bit, all three have spread one after the other on the right side. I don't know how to describe the pain, it is one sided very uncomfortable. I then took benadryl  and some painkillers and went to sleep.

Woke up today and their still there i have taking an allergy tablet but it doesn't seem to be working. can anyone help me figure what this is? or has anyone experienced anything like it? I am really worried as I am on holiday and i cant afford to see a doc.... PLEASE help
i have been having a really bad toothache due to the fact my wisdom teeth are forming on only the left side of my mouth.
i was sitting in the car with a friend today when i moved my hair behind my ear and noticed some lumps (right behind the bone part of my left ear). my glands often get swollen, so i figured thats what it was...come to realize i dont have glands behind my ear! duh.
so i tell my friend to take a look and see what it is..she said maybe a 'under-the-skin pimple' because its a little bit red and its big! because i cant see behind my ear she takes a picture for me.
i have two. top one is dime size and the one beneth it is pea size. at the time it wasnt painful at all..now its throbbing and the pain is moving upwords my head onto the hairline around my face. i took alleve to help the pain. but its not helping. good news, my tooth dosent hurt anymore. bad news, its big red and VERY painful! lymph nodes make the most sense. but i have not seen very many posts with all those symptoms. all this happened very quickly (within 3 hrs) before i noticed it; it wasnt there. it has been 6 hrs since & still hurts. if it is a lymph node i belive that it will go away..but i would love remmidies to relieve the pain if anyone knows of any please help!!!
Hey,
If it is a cyst, your dermatologist can shoot it with a bit of cortizone and it will go away in a few days....or you can just leave it alone and it will go away in a few weeks. You should have your dermatologist or doctor look at it, though, to determine what it is.
you don't have glands behind your ear, but you do indeed have lymph nodes(which are often mistakenly called 'lymph glands' and which are probably the type of 'gland' which you say are often swollen as that is what happens to them when we are sick of fighting off infections) behind your ear. that is most probably what you are feeling. the fact that you have been messing with them is probably the cause of the reddening and swelling as lymph nodes can be very sensitive to touch. STOP TOUCHING THEM and please go see a doctor as, though it is probably just swelling due to minor infection, it could be something more serious.

also, here's a link to a diagram of your lymph nodes from the neck up:

http://www.altmd.com/MediaFiles/ArticleImages/EarCandling/Ear%20Candling%20Instructions%20Lymph%20Nodes.png
**edit:  that's "sick OR fighting off infections", not "sick of fighting off infections".
i have two lumps behind my left ear, they are both hard and unable to be pressed down. i am worried about them one is bigger than a pea and the other is the size of a pea. the larger one is higher up. you can see the smaller one when i tilt my head whereas the larger one is unable to be seen. i have been getting a lot of headaches recently but i put it down to being stressed as i have a lot of exams coming up, i have also beeen really tired recently. could this have anything to do with it? please help!
Im not a Doctor or anything, but I also get the lumps behind my ears in the crease, kinda soft but a little hard, sometimes little, sometimes huge, and they do grow in a matter of a day or two if they are small. Ive had bad sinuses all my life.  I was told by an orral surgeon when i had an absess (abscess) and when he was pulling the tooth, there was a cyst on my sinus that he hit and drained out. Ever since then, Im all the time getting them behind my ears.. they are cysts from your sinuses... They can be popped when big enough i guess.. mine do.  I have/ or had a huge one last night that my husband juast barely put pressure on it to see if it would pop. Sure enough it squished out a WHOLE LOT of green puss and blood. Now its all black/bruised and horrible looking with that lump still there but just loose and wrinkled.. BUT the positive side is that its drained, didnt hurt when did it, and it dont hurt & its not tender..U can put some ice on it and make the swelling go down quicker after popping too!  So.. My thoughts on these things, are that they are sinus packets (cysts) that pop up.. although Im not having any sinus trouble or sick in any way.. they can still pop up. .when you pop it, your sinuses will start feeling funny, drain or stop up some.  Hope that helps someone thats wondering about these things, ive had them all my life! AND with my experience with them.. That info is better than going to the doctor and spending unecessary $. They will be wrinkled like and bruised after you pop them, but doesnt hurt at all.. just a little tender for a day or so.. and they will ooze for about an hour or so wafter popping, like bloody puss.. but it will stop when it clots.  dont use anything on it like peroxide and all that, just some warm water and clean washrag and leave the dried blood and stuff on it for a while til its scabbed over so it doesnt ooze again then you can wash it with... whatever.  Hope this helps yal some :)
I woke up yesterday with a lump behind my left ear, and painful swelling all around the ear but I also had a lump on my head by the hairline on my forehead for two days, I noticed it when I brushed my hair because it hurt.  Strange though lots of itching on that side of the face and eye, so much that my eyelid was red and swollen, and a   had a horrible headache. Went to the Dr and was told the lump on the head looked like an insect bite, and I had a lymph node infection, I still don't understand why all the itching on my face and eye. I'm on antibiotics.
My 4 yr old had knots behind his ear too!Took him to a ENT (ear nose and throat) doctor...The knots did not hurt if you touched them but the were hard as a rock... The Doctor removed the knots and had a biospy done.. Came back as Cat scratch fever... No other signs... he has never been around a cat... ( i would know cause i am allergic to them)  They say you can pick it up anywhere not just from a cat bit or scratch!  Hope everyone gets any knots checked out! Life is too precious!
My son is 5 and in the past 2 weeks he has been to the Dr. for fever and headaches.  I was told to give him feve medication every 4 hrs and lots of fluids. I even got his eyes tested due to the headaches - he has 20/20 vision. Since yesterday his neck seemed a bit stiff when he's to turn and this morning there is a swelling of both glands.

What do you thinks? I'anxous to know  as I plan to take him to the Dr. tomorrow
I am very scared about the lumps behind both of my ears and they have been there for quite some time now. I barely could sleep at night , my temperture gets very high. What cause this to happen to me? What will the doctor do to make it go away? Some one please help.
I have one too I'm 12 my mom said we will get it checked out I'm kinda scared and feel like crying is this cancerous
I noticed a large lump on the back of my 4 year olds head while putting him to sleep. Its hard and does not seem to hurt him when I pressed on it.  There does not appear to be any color changes to the area. Its such a large bump. I am surprised I would not have felt it before. I asked him if he had fallen and hurt himself there and he said no, though anything is possible. I plan on calling the dr. in the morning but was wondering if anyone had any ideas? Thanks    
I'm 15 and today I was in class and I touched my neck and I felt a little lump behind my right ear and I poked it, but not too hard and it was hurting. It felt like a bruise but I didn't get hit at all and I'm worried about it and so are my parents because we don't know what it is. I first had a lump on my foot and it's gone now but now I have a lump near my ear... I haven't seen the doctor yet but I'm going to soon.. Does anyone know what this is?
hi
i am 30 .from 2 weeks ago one day when i woke up i found swollen around my eyes and face.from 5days ago the right part of my neck was bigger than left side and so tender i couldn't eat anything.i saw Doctor yesterday he gave me penicillin vk 4times a day.last night i felt large bump behind my left ear which wasn't in the morning when i saw Dr.it makes me so worry could it be a lymph node?
I am a 30 year old woman with Liver Disease-when I was young I would often get hard bumps or lumps behind my ears-they usually coincided with an ear infection, and EXTREME migraines-usually focused on one side of my head and occasionally both-felt like someone stuck and ice pick in my temples and tried to scramble them....now I wonder if they may have agrivated my inner ears to the point of them getting inflamed etc. Many years has gone by where I haven't had a lump. (I have on on my inner wrist-been there all my life) yesterday without warning, a lump came back-Very Large and painful to the touch right behind my Left ear (bone area)...my ear is hurting a bit, but my main concern (and yes I will be making an apt with my physician), is cancer-my mother is about 2 years away from Chemo for Hodgekins Lymphoma....her's started in her throat (she was 67 when Diagnosed-and before her there is NO family history of it)......I have noticed many ppl (here on the forum) associating these lumps with Mono-I've had it once when I was 21. ...well the lump that was large within a few hours turned into two smaller but still fairly large lumps (about the size of a large pea or lima bean...) I am concerned.....thank you to anyone who responds to this. Be safe, cuz it is better than sorry..
Yesterday i found a pea size lump behind my right ear and it hurts a little is really tender and when i turn to the left it hurts. i also havent been sleeping right could that be the cause of it. really worried help please!!!!!
PLEASE HELPPP ! :(
Im 15 years old. when i was combing my hair , i noticed a swollen thing behind my left year (on the bone) and it hurts . i didnt have any fever or anything else. im so scared:( pleaseeeeee help ! is it cancer or something?
my child is 2 years now. she is healthy exept that she has sinus problem, she has had these swolen glads behind her ears since she was born.could they be associte with her sinus problem or i should be worried?
hello ive had a hard ball like in my ear then it turned swollen and now i have a soft lump behind my ear and its red do you know how i could treat it?
I consulted a doctor regarding this problem relating to hard lump behind the ear. He told that this swelling on the bone behind the ear occurs due to the invisible dandruff found in my head which cannot be cleared with any shampoo. For me, the swelling comes only when there is too much of hair growth and indicates that i have to do hair cut. The swelling will subside automatically after a day or two. Hence no worries.
'Pediculosis of the scalp' is the commonest condition shownig these lymph nodes.
i have a hard bump behind my left ear and a hard bump in my hair and very sore and wake up w/ headaches pls hep
I'm 15 years old, and i have a lump behind my left ear. I've had it there since i can remember. My older cousin had them behind both of his ears, and the doctors diagnosed him with cancer. I'm scared about the knot, because sometimes it can grow, or shrink. It's the same color as my skin, though. I also get constant headaches everyday, and I'm not sure why.
How can you prvent it cause i also have one behind my ears I'm15 yrs old pls reply I need your help ! :(
pls! I need a reply as soon as possible! :(( I'm really scared!:( I really really need All of your help! :((
Okay hi everyone hope you are all better!
Im embarassed.  f or the last 6 weeks ive not been able to walk in to open spaces.  My gp thought this was as i drink too much ( as sometimes i do ) okay but symptomns persisted ( thanks kindly-NOT!) and here i am 6 weeks down the line stuck, single mum , in the midst of studying a postgrad and still cant cross roads.  i then follow up , as i cant leave the house without diffiiculty. Ive been given more anti anxietyn  drugs, ive not been drinking, ...then d following day after being cheacked for an ear infection , this what feels like a cyst , lives behind my ear...I see that this could be a lymph node, but could this cause all the disturbances...i panic a lot and worry a lot and go OMG brain tumour ( whiich i know is not funny ) but i genuinely worry that that is what it is ...but embarassingly think ..( ill go to the docs to be told its a boil) any advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks and take care!
Guys can u help me how can i cure it ?
I was told today that my daughter has adenoiditis.....a  somewhat painful, non-red swollen, large bump behind one ear.  he prescribed anti-biotics for 10 days.  It is an unknown infection, much like tonsilitis, but in the adenoid.
I am a 32 almost 33 years old Latin male residing in Florida I'm 5"11 275 lbs I have been smoking pot for the last 16 years straight and also I drink a lot not all the time but at least 3 times per month and this morning I woke up with a mild pain right behind my ear almost right on top of the bone on your lower skull and it's swollen I also noticed that I had about 2 or three weird bumps on the right side of my head and as I noticed them by feeling on them I popped them and cleaned the area up with alcohol and got some cream for skin problems this cream does miracles it is not sold here in the states but it's sold in south America it is called benzoderma anyways the lump on the back of my ear right on the lower bone of my skull it's swollen and some how I feel like the other little bumps on the sking are not related to the lump in the back of my ear butbas the time passes it feels more and more that they are connected it feels almost like they want to bond and it creates a weird painful sensation on the lower right side of my head I can't stop touching the lump but I will since people on this room are saying that the more you mess with them the longer is going to take for them to go away now I recently moved to this side of town I used to live 2 hours north from MIA now I am closer but anyways one thing that I noticed is that when I take long showers and wash my face like three times because I got a greasy facial issue I come out of the shower sneezing out of control for about 30 minutes and it happens every time when I do that which is weird so I do not have a logical explanation for this but it has never happen to me in the past so moving on I will tell you i am so scared for my life after reading all the comments i came to the conclusion that this is very serious and I need a professional opinion so if I wake up tomorrow and still feel the same way i will got to the doctor to have checked out and i will come back and post the results hopefully it's not cancer but please pray for me and wish me good luck ( i was being very honest about my lifestyle so that you guys can get a feel of my current help and I'm sorry for being bold about my bad habits but i am being sincere about the situation, I WILL RETURN THE NEXT DAY AFTER MY DR VISIT TO GIVE YOU GUYS AN UPDATE, in the mean while please let me know what ya think it might be ........
hello Doc I hope that you and your family are doing good..I was hoping to ask for your professional opinion, I was wondering if that lump could of been generated from the pressure of sneezing because when I take prolonged showers I come out sneezing like crazy during the shower I wash my face with regular soap to regulate my facial grease but I can't find a logical explanation for it now I have been taking showers like that all my life and I recently just moved to a new house and that is when this issue begin to happen now from the one day to another I have that lump and I am terrified can you please give me a sincere opinion?
I have a lump on my right ear lobe. its very sensitive and i tried to pop it an nothing came out. It is very hot and is swollen! help!!?
I have developed a small lump infront of my ear is it the same thing or can it b something differen? I was sick for 4 months wit bronchitis and bearly got over it. This lump appeared almost 5 days ago but i have been touching it,it feels likebthe size of a dime and its hard.
This morning while showering I was washing my hair and felt two dime sized lumps behind my ear near my hairline. (I have had swollen lymph nodes before and I am not sick) what could this be?
Mastoiditis is a bacterial infection in the mastoid process, the prominent bone behind the ear.

This disorder usually occurs when untreated or inadequately treated acute otitis media (ear infection)  spreads from the middle ear into the surrounding bone—the mastoid process.

Usually, symptoms appear days to weeks after acute otitis media develops, as the spreading infection destroys the inner part of the mastoid process. A collection of pus (abscess) may form in the bone. The skin covering the mastoid process may become red, swollen, and tender, and the external ear is pushed sideways and down. Other symptoms are fever, pain around and within the ear, and a creamy, profuse discharge from the ear. The pain tends to be persistent and throbbing. Hearing loss can become progressively worse.

Computed tomography (CT) shows that the air cells (spaces in bone that normally contain air) in the mastoid process are filled with fluid. As mastoiditis progresses, the spaces enlarge. Inadequately treated mastoiditis can result in deafness, blood poisoning (sepsis), infection of the tissues covering the brain (meningitis), brain abscess, or death.

Treatment is with antibiotics given by vein. A sample of ear discharge is examined to identify the organism causing the infection and to determine the antibiotics most likely to eliminate the bacteria. Antibiotics may be given by mouth once the person starts to recover and are continued for at least 2 weeks. If an abscess has formed in the bone, surgical drainage (mastoidectomy) is required.
about 4 or 3 days ago i discovered a lump behind my lower part of my LEFT ear , seems like almost everybody is on the left ear. I asked my Grandmother to see if she knew what i could be and she said it could be a "Lymph Node" But i honestly do not know what it could be, i seriously need help from somebody who has this problem and would know something about this. Please reply!.
Thank You ...
I feel a little better reading your post. Has anyone had the problem that the lumps get rather large, stay for a month or more go away and then come back? They are also located on the top right side of my head, upper right of the back of my head and behind my right ear. I am going to ask my doctor this week since it has never been this bad before but I was wondering if anyone else had this problem?
Did you find out what it is?  I have the same symptoms you described.
I have the same bump behind my ear im going to see a doctor on thursday. What ages are these types of bumps most coomon. Im 14
i completely agree i have a hard bump where the skull meets the ear the other posts say that they are tender to the touch  or could be a lymph node but it isn't. if you did any research and have any information could you please send it to me at ***@**** ive done my own digging but i wasn't able to find anything its starting to get me worried  i don't know what i should do because i went to the doctor and they didn't know what it was so they just sent me on my way please help
When I was doing my homework earlier today, I reached up to scratch my head and felt an awful pain. When my mom looked at it she didn't know what it was.Neither did my dad! I might be going to see a doctor in a couple of days if it does not wear down. So until then, wish me luck!
Did you ever find out what to do? I have this symptom.
Hello my daughter is 2 years old and she has a large bump the size of a baseball that appeared. Over night wht could this b?
I have 2 lumps behind the ear 1 since before I can remember and thought it was ment to be there :\ and 1 that has been there for around two days and hurts when I press on it... I have also been getting pains in my chest and above the ribs on the right for a while now. Everyone keeps telling me that i'm just being a hypercondriac but now starting to get a sore throat.. Am I just being paranoid or does anybody know what I should do??? Please reply & Thank You!!
Hello. I am an extremely worried mummy. My 3 year old son had chicken pox about a month ago and a lot of his spots were behind his ear. Whilst looking at his spots i saw he had a hard lump. It is not painful or uncomfortable to touch. I have been to see the doctor and they found more lumps a little bit lower then the one behind his ear. They asked for him to come back in three weeks for a review appointment but did not really say what it could be. Now i am worried sick about it and now he is getting stomach pains and he has started wetting himself (he has been fully trained for over 6 months) and i am thinking it is all associated. Please can somebody give me an idea as to what it could be? xx
For almost a year I have notice a lump behind my ear
It doesn't hurt or anything like that but my neck
Hurts sometimes. Please for ur advice am worried
I've read most of the posts. DOn't know if this will help. The lumps behind the ears, yes. I also get them on my neck and chin. Not fun. It took alot of reading and hit and miss but my problem is a GLUTEN INTOLERANCE.  Not allergy or celiac. Intolerance. If my body takes in anything with gluten my system reacts to it by hives. They dont go away very fast. Many can be painful. I wait them out and try to figure out what I ate. You would be amazed what has gluten in it. Now when I came up with this I didn't think it was the problem.I had allergy tests up the ying yang. All negative. So I did one of those food allergy ellimination tests that they tell ya to do. Well the results were not quick. It took a while to see anything happen. But after time they went away. Now the only time I get them is if I am bad and eat something I shouldn't. And trust me I will pay for it if I don't take these capsules I found and the tablets I found. THey work most of the time but I try not to risk it. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Hello katie,
   My son has the same lumps you have behind his ears. I took him to the doctor yesterday because i was very very concerned. And guess what? The doctor said what your doctor told you: it is extra cartilage. I am not going to lie my baby, who is 3 soon, has big ears. The doctor did not think it was serious. Just wanted to let u know so you don't worry too much. :)
What was your color? Ours is purple...
I've had this same problem for years now, but it always comes and goes. its right behind my ear where the ear meet the skull, behind where you would put an ear ring. it'll stay for about 5 weeks then get smaller for about a week before it grows back to about pea size. i find it hard to wear ear rings with this. I've had chronic migraines and headaches ever since i first got this (even a little before) my pediatrician thinks nothing of this and just told me to put some neosporin on it (i'm 17, this started when i was 9) , but that hasn't helped. i'm going back soon and when i do im gonna get referred to a specialist and hopefully have a more experienced doctors opinion.
i have had the same thing going on the past few days, and i have absolutly no idea what it might be. This pain is also in the front of my ear, right before the actual ear canal. I have also had a headache yesterday.
Was it itchy?
Im really worried about my dad. He had a lump removed and it been sent for tests. he is convinced he has cancer. it was not sore but itchy?
Hi people, hope all are well.

I have had a lot tense neck pain recently along right hand side and shoulder. I also had a swollen submandibular gland (self diagnosed). I dont think the neck pain and this swelling were related, but more a consequence of poking around a bit and an bad tooth.

When we are in these states of heightened anxiety we do micro examine our bodies. Any slight feeling is magnified ten fold, and we start poking around trying to feel if things are normal. What often happens is we find things we never knew we had which have possibly been there the whole time.

I stumbled across these two hard masses, symmetrical on either side of neck, literraly directly behind my ear lobe at the top of my neck. They dont stick out, I have to press to feel them, they feel like marbles. They are in the groove between jaw bone and back of skull immediately below the ear / behind ear lobe. I got a little freaked out. Have they always been there?

So i search online, as we all do, and you see a variety of scary things. Cancers, Lymph nodes, Lymphoma etc etc. But I was doubting this, simply because a Lymphoma typicall affects one node. Why would I have identical ones on each side? Why do they feel more like anatomy then a node? Nodes oare aften moveable and squidgy. One hard swollen node, that continues to swell is worrisome and should be checked.

Anyway, I thought there must be something more normal/natural to this. So i searched anatomy of the neck, the ear, what bones we have, etc etc.

Then I stumbled across PRESSURE POINTS. We all have them. They are the things people used before medicine was around, pressure points are natural pain relievers, but if pressed too much, or too hard, they can cause pain, tension, or can knock some one out (Bruce Lee anyone?)

So, just wanted to add a sensible comment to the thread.

Of course, if you have a lump that is swelling, perhaps moveable, perhaps tender, perhaps causing redness on the skin, and is on one side. Monitor it, dont touch it 100 times a day, check it gently in the morning, and in the evening if you must, but try leave it for couple weeks. (i know I know, easier said than done). If it doesnt go down, if it gets worse, than see a doc.

Anxiety, stress and micro examining your body can freak you out.

Chill, be healthy, and dont panic.

My daughter has a lump behind both her wars in the same place that has been there for some time now!!! They don't hurt her. Does anyone know what this could be?? I'm really worried the doctor told me a couple months back it was from her scalp. But they are still here.
hi i have one on 2 ears it doesnt hurt have you or anyone else wear cheap earings my teacher asseaint had one she told me nohing to be worried about its just cheap earings
I’ve had this lump behind my ear for about three years and I went to the doctor. When I first got it I had very bad headaches for days and it hurt behind my eye. I went to the doctor and they took an ultrasound. The ultrasound lady said that it was defiantly enlarged but the doctor said that it was fine. It has since become about 1cm bigger and I still get really bad headaches that sometimes makes me vomit. But I get no pain when I touch the area, I am not sure if the headaches are related to stress but recently I have finish my exams and I still got a really terrible headache.
I have been getting the same for the last 2 years now. Lumps behind the ear, all over the neck & head. It feels like my head is going to explode. Went ot the doctor and was forst diagnosed with streplacocus. Went on antibiotics and it cleared up. When i got them again  doctor realised that maybe it was allergies, i have never had allergies in all my life. Now i just put up with them coz no one can tell me what is setting them off, I also get rashes with mine tho and they spread all over. This all has been affecting my work ,personal and social life. This all started happening  after my husband started his 1st  chemo sessions, i querered about if the chemicals can seep thru the skin and into others, I got laughed at.