hard lump behind ear
i was just putting my 4 year old daughter in for her rest. she pushed her hair out of her face and said "ouch" and then asked me if she had a mosquito bite. i looked where it hurt and there is a hard bump/lump behind her ear on the bone part (not on the ear itself). i touched it and it hurts. it's about as big as an eraser on top of a pencil or a pea. it is not red or anything (skin color). i get very worried about these kind of things and will give her dr. a call but in the mean time i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what it may be? like i said, i am worried.
I am very scared about the lumps behind both of my ears and they have been there for quite some time now. I barely could sleep at night , my temperture gets very high. What cause this to happen to me? What will the doctor do to make it go away? Some one please help.
I have one too I'm 12 my mom said we will get it checked out I'm kinda scared and feel like crying is this cancerous
I noticed a large lump on the back of my 4 year olds head while putting him to sleep. Its hard and does not seem to hurt him when I pressed on it.  There does not appear to be any color changes to the area. Its such a large bump. I am surprised I would not have felt it before. I asked him if he had fallen and hurt himself there and he said no, though anything is possible. I plan on calling the dr. in the morning but was wondering if anyone had any ideas? Thanks    
I'm 15 and today I was in class and I touched my neck and I felt a little lump behind my right ear and I poked it, but not too hard and it was hurting. It felt like a bruise but I didn't get hit at all and I'm worried about it and so are my parents because we don't know what it is. I first had a lump on my foot and it's gone now but now I have a lump near my ear... I haven't seen the doctor yet but I'm going to soon.. Does anyone know what this is?
hi
i am 30 .from 2 weeks ago one day when i woke up i found swollen around my eyes and face.from 5days ago the right part of my neck was bigger than left side and so tender i couldn't eat anything.i saw Doctor yesterday he gave me penicillin vk 4times a day.last night i felt large bump behind my left ear which wasn't in the morning when i saw Dr.it makes me so worry could it be a lymph node?
I am a 30 year old woman with Liver Disease-when I was young I would often get hard bumps or lumps behind my ears-they usually coincided with an ear infection, and EXTREME migraines-usually focused on one side of my head and occasionally both-felt like someone stuck and ice pick in my temples and tried to scramble them....now I wonder if they may have agrivated my inner ears to the point of them getting inflamed etc. Many years has gone by where I haven't had a lump. (I have on on my inner wrist-been there all my life) yesterday without warning, a lump came back-Very Large and painful to the touch right behind my Left ear (bone area)...my ear is hurting a bit, but my main concern (and yes I will be making an apt with my physician), is cancer-my mother is about 2 years away from Chemo for Hodgekins Lymphoma....her's started in her throat (she was 67 when Diagnosed-and before her there is NO family history of it)......I have noticed many ppl (here on the forum) associating these lumps with Mono-I've had it once when I was 21. ...well the lump that was large within a few hours turned into two smaller but still fairly large lumps (about the size of a large pea or lima bean...) I am concerned.....thank you to anyone who responds to this. Be safe, cuz it is better than sorry..
Yesterday i found a pea size lump behind my right ear and it hurts a little is really tender and when i turn to the left it hurts. i also havent been sleeping right could that be the cause of it. really worried help please!!!!!
PLEASE HELPPP ! :(
Im 15 years old. when i was combing my hair , i noticed a swollen thing behind my left year (on the bone) and it hurts . i didnt have any fever or anything else. im so scared:( pleaseeeeee help ! is it cancer or something?
my child is 2 years now. she is healthy exept that she has sinus problem, she has had these swolen glads behind her ears since she was born.could they be associte with her sinus problem or i should be worried?
hello ive had a hard ball like in my ear then it turned swollen and now i have a soft lump behind my ear and its red do you know how i could treat it?
I consulted a doctor regarding this problem relating to hard lump behind the ear. He told that this swelling on the bone behind the ear occurs due to the invisible dandruff found in my head which cannot be cleared with any shampoo. For me, the swelling comes only when there is too much of hair growth and indicates that i have to do hair cut. The swelling will subside automatically after a day or two. Hence no worries.
'Pediculosis of the scalp' is the commonest condition shownig these lymph nodes.
i have a hard bump behind my left ear and a hard bump in my hair and very sore and wake up w/ headaches pls hep
I'm 15 years old, and i have a lump behind my left ear. I've had it there since i can remember. My older cousin had them behind both of his ears, and the doctors diagnosed him with cancer. I'm scared about the knot, because sometimes it can grow, or shrink. It's the same color as my skin, though. I also get constant headaches everyday, and I'm not sure why.
How can you prvent it cause i also have one behind my ears I'm15 yrs old pls reply I need your help ! :(
pls! I need a reply as soon as possible! :(( I'm really scared!:( I really really need All of your help! :((
Okay hi everyone hope you are all better!
Im embarassed.  f or the last 6 weeks ive not been able to walk in to open spaces.  My gp thought this was as i drink too much ( as sometimes i do ) okay but symptomns persisted ( thanks kindly-NOT!) and here i am 6 weeks down the line stuck, single mum , in the midst of studying a postgrad and still cant cross roads.  i then follow up , as i cant leave the house without diffiiculty. Ive been given more anti anxietyn  drugs, ive not been drinking, ...then d following day after being cheacked for an ear infection , this what feels like a cyst , lives behind my ear...I see that this could be a lymph node, but could this cause all the disturbances...i panic a lot and worry a lot and go OMG brain tumour ( whiich i know is not funny ) but i genuinely worry that that is what it is ...but embarassingly think ..( ill go to the docs to be told its a boil) any advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks and take care!
Guys can u help me how can i cure it ?
I was told today that my daughter has adenoiditis.....a  somewhat painful, non-red swollen, large bump behind one ear.  he prescribed anti-biotics for 10 days.  It is an unknown infection, much like tonsilitis, but in the adenoid.
I am a 32 almost 33 years old Latin male residing in Florida I'm 5"11 275 lbs I have been smoking pot for the last 16 years straight and also I drink a lot not all the time but at least 3 times per month and this morning I woke up with a mild pain right behind my ear almost right on top of the bone on your lower skull and it's swollen I also noticed that I had about 2 or three weird bumps on the right side of my head and as I noticed them by feeling on them I popped them and cleaned the area up with alcohol and got some cream for skin problems this cream does miracles it is not sold here in the states but it's sold in south America it is called benzoderma anyways the lump on the back of my ear right on the lower bone of my skull it's swollen and some how I feel like the other little bumps on the sking are not related to the lump in the back of my ear butbas the time passes it feels more and more that they are connected it feels almost like they want to bond and it creates a weird painful sensation on the lower right side of my head I can't stop touching the lump but I will since people on this room are saying that the more you mess with them the longer is going to take for them to go away now I recently moved to this side of town I used to live 2 hours north from MIA now I am closer but anyways one thing that I noticed is that when I take long showers and wash my face like three times because I got a greasy facial issue I come out of the shower sneezing out of control for about 30 minutes and it happens every time when I do that which is weird so I do not have a logical explanation for this but it has never happen to me in the past so moving on I will tell you i am so scared for my life after reading all the comments i came to the conclusion that this is very serious and I need a professional opinion so if I wake up tomorrow and still feel the same way i will got to the doctor to have checked out and i will come back and post the results hopefully it's not cancer but please pray for me and wish me good luck ( i was being very honest about my lifestyle so that you guys can get a feel of my current help and I'm sorry for being bold about my bad habits but i am being sincere about the situation, I WILL RETURN THE NEXT DAY AFTER MY DR VISIT TO GIVE YOU GUYS AN UPDATE, in the mean while please let me know what ya think it might be ........
hello Doc I hope that you and your family are doing good..I was hoping to ask for your professional opinion, I was wondering if that lump could of been generated from the pressure of sneezing because when I take prolonged showers I come out sneezing like crazy during the shower I wash my face with regular soap to regulate my facial grease but I can't find a logical explanation for it now I have been taking showers like that all my life and I recently just moved to a new house and that is when this issue begin to happen now from the one day to another I have that lump and I am terrified can you please give me a sincere opinion?
I have a lump on my right ear lobe. its very sensitive and i tried to pop it an nothing came out. It is very hot and is swollen! help!!?
I have developed a small lump infront of my ear is it the same thing or can it b something differen? I was sick for 4 months wit bronchitis and bearly got over it. This lump appeared almost 5 days ago but i have been touching it,it feels likebthe size of a dime and its hard.
This morning while showering I was washing my hair and felt two dime sized lumps behind my ear near my hairline. (I have had swollen lymph nodes before and I am not sick) what could this be?
Mastoiditis is a bacterial infection in the mastoid process, the prominent bone behind the ear.

This disorder usually occurs when untreated or inadequately treated acute otitis media (ear infection)  spreads from the middle ear into the surrounding bone—the mastoid process.

Usually, symptoms appear days to weeks after acute otitis media develops, as the spreading infection destroys the inner part of the mastoid process. A collection of pus (abscess) may form in the bone. The skin covering the mastoid process may become red, swollen, and tender, and the external ear is pushed sideways and down. Other symptoms are fever, pain around and within the ear, and a creamy, profuse discharge from the ear. The pain tends to be persistent and throbbing. Hearing loss can become progressively worse.

Computed tomography (CT) shows that the air cells (spaces in bone that normally contain air) in the mastoid process are filled with fluid. As mastoiditis progresses, the spaces enlarge. Inadequately treated mastoiditis can result in deafness, blood poisoning (sepsis), infection of the tissues covering the brain (meningitis), brain abscess, or death.

Treatment is with antibiotics given by vein. A sample of ear discharge is examined to identify the organism causing the infection and to determine the antibiotics most likely to eliminate the bacteria. Antibiotics may be given by mouth once the person starts to recover and are continued for at least 2 weeks. If an abscess has formed in the bone, surgical drainage (mastoidectomy) is required.
about 4 or 3 days ago i discovered a lump behind my lower part of my LEFT ear , seems like almost everybody is on the left ear. I asked my Grandmother to see if she knew what i could be and she said it could be a "Lymph Node" But i honestly do not know what it could be, i seriously need help from somebody who has this problem and would know something about this. Please reply!.
Thank You ...
I feel a little better reading your post. Has anyone had the problem that the lumps get rather large, stay for a month or more go away and then come back? They are also located on the top right side of my head, upper right of the back of my head and behind my right ear. I am going to ask my doctor this week since it has never been this bad before but I was wondering if anyone else had this problem?
Did you find out what it is?  I have the same symptoms you described.
I have the same bump behind my ear im going to see a doctor on thursday. What ages are these types of bumps most coomon. Im 14
i completely agree i have a hard bump where the skull meets the ear the other posts say that they are tender to the touch  or could be a lymph node but it isn't. if you did any research and have any information could you please send it to me at ***@**** ive done my own digging but i wasn't able to find anything its starting to get me worried  i don't know what i should do because i went to the doctor and they didn't know what it was so they just sent me on my way please help
When I was doing my homework earlier today, I reached up to scratch my head and felt an awful pain. When my mom looked at it she didn't know what it was.Neither did my dad! I might be going to see a doctor in a couple of days if it does not wear down. So until then, wish me luck!
Did you ever find out what to do? I have this symptom.
Hello my daughter is 2 years old and she has a large bump the size of a baseball that appeared. Over night wht could this b?
I have 2 lumps behind the ear 1 since before I can remember and thought it was ment to be there :\ and 1 that has been there for around two days and hurts when I press on it... I have also been getting pains in my chest and above the ribs on the right for a while now. Everyone keeps telling me that i'm just being a hypercondriac but now starting to get a sore throat.. Am I just being paranoid or does anybody know what I should do??? Please reply & Thank You!!
Hello. I am an extremely worried mummy. My 3 year old son had chicken pox about a month ago and a lot of his spots were behind his ear. Whilst looking at his spots i saw he had a hard lump. It is not painful or uncomfortable to touch. I have been to see the doctor and they found more lumps a little bit lower then the one behind his ear. They asked for him to come back in three weeks for a review appointment but did not really say what it could be. Now i am worried sick about it and now he is getting stomach pains and he has started wetting himself (he has been fully trained for over 6 months) and i am thinking it is all associated. Please can somebody give me an idea as to what it could be? xx
For almost a year I have notice a lump behind my ear
It doesn't hurt or anything like that but my neck
Hurts sometimes. Please for ur advice am worried
I've read most of the posts. DOn't know if this will help. The lumps behind the ears, yes. I also get them on my neck and chin. Not fun. It took alot of reading and hit and miss but my problem is a GLUTEN INTOLERANCE.  Not allergy or celiac. Intolerance. If my body takes in anything with gluten my system reacts to it by hives. They dont go away very fast. Many can be painful. I wait them out and try to figure out what I ate. You would be amazed what has gluten in it. Now when I came up with this I didn't think it was the problem.I had allergy tests up the ying yang. All negative. So I did one of those food allergy ellimination tests that they tell ya to do. Well the results were not quick. It took a while to see anything happen. But after time they went away. Now the only time I get them is if I am bad and eat something I shouldn't. And trust me I will pay for it if I don't take these capsules I found and the tablets I found. THey work most of the time but I try not to risk it. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Hello katie,
   My son has the same lumps you have behind his ears. I took him to the doctor yesterday because i was very very concerned. And guess what? The doctor said what your doctor told you: it is extra cartilage. I am not going to lie my baby, who is 3 soon, has big ears. The doctor did not think it was serious. Just wanted to let u know so you don't worry too much. :)
What was your color? Ours is purple...
I've had this same problem for years now, but it always comes and goes. its right behind my ear where the ear meet the skull, behind where you would put an ear ring. it'll stay for about 5 weeks then get smaller for about a week before it grows back to about pea size. i find it hard to wear ear rings with this. I've had chronic migraines and headaches ever since i first got this (even a little before) my pediatrician thinks nothing of this and just told me to put some neosporin on it (i'm 17, this started when i was 9) , but that hasn't helped. i'm going back soon and when i do im gonna get referred to a specialist and hopefully have a more experienced doctors opinion.
i have had the same thing going on the past few days, and i have absolutly no idea what it might be. This pain is also in the front of my ear, right before the actual ear canal. I have also had a headache yesterday.
Was it itchy?
Im really worried about my dad. He had a lump removed and it been sent for tests. he is convinced he has cancer. it was not sore but itchy?
Hi people, hope all are well.

I have had a lot tense neck pain recently along right hand side and shoulder. I also had a swollen submandibular gland (self diagnosed). I dont think the neck pain and this swelling were related, but more a consequence of poking around a bit and an bad tooth.

When we are in these states of heightened anxiety we do micro examine our bodies. Any slight feeling is magnified ten fold, and we start poking around trying to feel if things are normal. What often happens is we find things we never knew we had which have possibly been there the whole time.

I stumbled across these two hard masses, symmetrical on either side of neck, literraly directly behind my ear lobe at the top of my neck. They dont stick out, I have to press to feel them, they feel like marbles. They are in the groove between jaw bone and back of skull immediately below the ear / behind ear lobe. I got a little freaked out. Have they always been there?

So i search online, as we all do, and you see a variety of scary things. Cancers, Lymph nodes, Lymphoma etc etc. But I was doubting this, simply because a Lymphoma typicall affects one node. Why would I have identical ones on each side? Why do they feel more like anatomy then a node? Nodes oare aften moveable and squidgy. One hard swollen node, that continues to swell is worrisome and should be checked.

Anyway, I thought there must be something more normal/natural to this. So i searched anatomy of the neck, the ear, what bones we have, etc etc.

Then I stumbled across PRESSURE POINTS. We all have them. They are the things people used before medicine was around, pressure points are natural pain relievers, but if pressed too much, or too hard, they can cause pain, tension, or can knock some one out (Bruce Lee anyone?)

So, just wanted to add a sensible comment to the thread.

Of course, if you have a lump that is swelling, perhaps moveable, perhaps tender, perhaps causing redness on the skin, and is on one side. Monitor it, dont touch it 100 times a day, check it gently in the morning, and in the evening if you must, but try leave it for couple weeks. (i know I know, easier said than done). If it doesnt go down, if it gets worse, than see a doc.

Anxiety, stress and micro examining your body can freak you out.

Chill, be healthy, and dont panic.

My daughter has a lump behind both her wars in the same place that has been there for some time now!!! They don't hurt her. Does anyone know what this could be?? I'm really worried the doctor told me a couple months back it was from her scalp. But they are still here.
hi i have one on 2 ears it doesnt hurt have you or anyone else wear cheap earings my teacher asseaint had one she told me nohing to be worried about its just cheap earings
I’ve had this lump behind my ear for about three years and I went to the doctor. When I first got it I had very bad headaches for days and it hurt behind my eye. I went to the doctor and they took an ultrasound. The ultrasound lady said that it was defiantly enlarged but the doctor said that it was fine. It has since become about 1cm bigger and I still get really bad headaches that sometimes makes me vomit. But I get no pain when I touch the area, I am not sure if the headaches are related to stress but recently I have finish my exams and I still got a really terrible headache.
I have been getting the same for the last 2 years now. Lumps behind the ear, all over the neck & head. It feels like my head is going to explode. Went ot the doctor and was forst diagnosed with streplacocus. Went on antibiotics and it cleared up. When i got them again  doctor realised that maybe it was allergies, i have never had allergies in all my life. Now i just put up with them coz no one can tell me what is setting them off, I also get rashes with mine tho and they spread all over. This all has been affecting my work ,personal and social life. This all started happening  after my husband started his 1st  chemo sessions, i querered about if the chemicals can seep thru the skin and into others, I got laughed at.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.