hard lump in abdomen/groin area
hi all, i found a lump in my lower abdomen a few months ago and finally had an ultrasound a couple of weeks ago, the radiographer said he had no idea what it is and the surgeon says he thinks it is a sebaceous fat lump, which m gp says means hes not really sure what it is!!  i am due to have an excisional biopsy in 10 days time, im not sure whether to be too concerned or not, well ok, i am a little concerned as i dont know what it is!! if the doctor was concerned about it, would he tell me, or just not worry me till they know what it is??

It could be nothing to worry about - just fat tissue.

Most often, a lump in the abdomen is caused by a hernia. An abdominal hernia occurs when there is an area where the muscles are weak, and this allows the internal organs to bulge through the abdominal wall.

The further plan of management would involve -

'-Blood tests including full blood count, electrolytes, urea, creatinine, liver function tests, pregnancy test and lipase.
-Urinalysis
-Imaging including erect chest X-ray and plain films of the abdomen
-An electrocardiograph to rule out a heart attack which can occasionally present as abdominal pain

If diagnosis remains unclear after history, examination and basic investigations as above then more advanced investigations may reveal a diagnosis. These as such would include

-Computed Tomography of the abdomen/pelvis
-Abdominal or pelvic ultrasound
-Endoscopy and colonoscopy'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdominal_pain

Let us know about what your doctor advises and if you need any further information.

Regards.
been a long time since i last came on here!! but!! i had the lump removed last june and it turned out to be endometriosis