Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
hard lump in neck behind ear - should I be concerned?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I have some sort of swelling in the right side of my neck, behind my ear. I noticed it about a week ago - no idea how long it's been there. I know there are normal lymph nodes and such that can be felt there, but I am worried because the one on the right side of my neck is considerably bigger than the one on the left side. If I turn my head to the right and feel on the left side, the little bump there disappears. But if I turn to the left and feel the right side, the bump is much bigger and easier to feel.

The bump is hard, non-moveable, and it doesn't hurt at all. The only other symptom I've had is that I feel itchy all over, mostly at night.

I went to my doctor a few months ago to have some other swellings in my neck checked out. She was concerned and sent me for a CT scan. The results said that there were some enlarged lymph nodes in my neck, but none were big enough to be looked at further. I would rather not go to a doctor for this, because after going through several specialists last time, I am afraid I would just be laughed at. Plus, I don't have health insurance at the moment.
I would go back to the doctor and demand some test to be run. There is definetely something going on and you need to find out what it is. Don't just let the doctor give you antibiotics and send you away. I think at this point one of the enlarged nodes needs to be biopsied, especially if you are having any of the following additional symptoms: fatigue, weight loss, fever and/or night sweats. Take care!
I have also discovered a lump in my neck right behind my ear and by my jaw line.  It doesn't move and it isn't painful but I'm very concerned about it.  I've been gaining weight and have been extremely fatigued.  I just moved to Florida and don't have a doctor yet.  Do you think I should have it checked at an urgent care or hospital?  Does anyone know what it could possibly be?
I also have a hard lump behind my left ear that is not painful but it has me concerned.  I've had other symptoms like headache.  I just noticed it yesterday. Could it be something serious?
I also have these problems. I have a small lump behind each ear but the 1 behind the right ear is bigger. I am also getting headache, earache and have a sore throat. I went to the doctor 3 days ago and they said it was a throat infection and the lumps were just lymph nodes. I dont see how a throat infection would give me headache and earach. He gave me antibiotics but they dont seem to be helping. I am going back to the doctor tomorrow as I am very scared now. Please can anyone give me some advice as to what this might be???
same....lump, headaches, and then last week my skin was almost untouchabe just completly tender. Now i hadn't gotten headaches for months on end, NEVER felt this skin thing, and just noticed this lump all in one week. KIND of conserned. Anyone else had the skin thing go hand in  hand?
Hey guys I have been having the following.
Swollen Lymphnode on right side neck, small hard lump behind right ear, and one on jawline. fatigue, gettin kinda hot, my hands been really red.

For those symptoms I have researched very thouroughly. This is what I came up with.

It could be allergies, Lymphoma, Catscratch Disease, Toxoplasmosis, or HIV.

Now this is just what I found guys... I need to go to the doctor, and so do u guys ok. Get checked, especially for the last one.
i just found a lump behind my right ear last night and i am really worried.  I just got my helix pierced, would that have anything to do with it because i read somewhere that if you have and infection it can cause the lymph nodes in that area to swell and i think my piercing may be getting infected
i have just found a lump about the size of a grape, left side, jaw line. hard, slightly moveable i think.. have the itchy skin, this shoulb be mentioned to doctors as it is a symptom of many things, most worryingly leukimia.
i have a lot of problems with my wisdom teeth, hoping it is just lymph nodes inflamed from that. good luck and best wishes everyone. i say persist with it as your health is all you have. sometimes doctors are very busy and think we are being hypochondraics buti say keep persisting espeacially if you do believe something is wrong. But also try to stay calm and positive as stress is dreadful for your body.
These bumps are swollen lymth nodes, which can swell for a number of reasons. Please dont automatically assume any of the extreme conditions listed above by "someguy5474".

This may be caused by a simple cold or flu or maybe a throat infection. So my suggestion would be to monitor everything including any other symptoms. And if your condition gets worse seek medical attention.

And remember, if it turns out to be a cold or flu.. Not all bugs need drugs!!! (you dont need, and should not get antibiotics).
I recently felt a hard, unmoveable lump behind each ear on my neck and have been worrying about them while researching on-line.  My primary care physician was concerned and said they could be lymph nodes, and ordered an ultrasound.  I told myself if everything was found to be OK, I would post it to hopefully give someone reassurance.  The ultrasound indicated an abnormality, and I saw a specialist today.  Amazingly, he said the bumps I (and my primary care physician!) felt are actually part of the vertebrae; for some reason they must be more prominent on me versus some other folks.  There are a few slightly swollen, soft and moveable, lymph nodes (I assume this is what the ultrasound picked up) that the doctor will monitor when I go back in a month, however he was not concerned.  I hope this message helps quell someone's fears!  Psalm 50:15
That really gives me some relief!  I found out 4 weekes ago I have 2 pinched nerves in my neck and I have the lump behind my right ear and on my jaw line, very swollen and tender to touch the skin there.  No problems with throat, ear, or teeth at this point.  There vertebrae answer could apply to me.  thank you for your info and keep me posted.
I have a lump too behind the ear on my skull...and went to the hospital and was told i have a inner ear infection and i had pains going down my shoulder also i was told you can have chest pains too as the lymph node swells and can press against your nerves and cause these symtoms (symptoms).. Tge ear drops are to clear up the puss and antibiotics to help too.. Its been3 days and my lymphs hasnt gone down and i know it may feel like its something worse cause the lump and under the skull and you think how can the skull become lumpy when it is so solid... It can be fuild too
A related discussion, swollen lymph node and night sweats for over 3 months was started.
I have had the lump before too with fatigue and night sweats. It was a swollen parotid gland that had to bet cut out. Please get it checked. It turns out it was from sarcoidosis and I needed to take steroids for it. By the way waiting too long before seeing somebody that could actually help has me deaf in that ear now with constant ringing and the disease had me medically retired from Army.