Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
hard lump next to ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

hard lump next to ear

A few days ago I discovered a hard lump next to my ear. It's very hard and hurts when I put any pressure on it. It is not really visible from the outside, not moveable and about 0.5 inch in diameter. It feels like it's attached to the bone. Any ideas what it could be? I'm very concerned. Any advice and ideas are greatly appreciated.
Where does "next to ear" mean exactly?
It is located next to the lower half of my ear, towards my cheek.
My husband had something like this and it turned out to be a sign of shingles, (it was a swollen gland) if you catch it early enough you can get an anti viral that will will hopefully cut down on your pain and duration if you do indeed have shingles.

I was wondering if you found out what is the cause of this. I'm experiencing exactly the same.

Thanks!

Hector
No, i didn't find out what it was but it went away about a week later. However, I have had some weird headaches on that side of my head...shooting up from were that lump was.
I had the headaches too. I went to see a doctor and he prescribed antibiotics. The lump is gone (as well as the pain) by now but I'm not 100% sure if it really was a bacterial infection. Thanks for your response!

Be well!

Hector