Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
hearing water in your ears

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

hearing water in your ears

i'm asking this on behalf of a friend because she doesn't know if it's normal or not and she asked my opinion so i just wanna see if any one else has any ideas.
when she is lying in bed and turns around she gets the sound of rushing water in her head. the sound is also there when she works out at the gym.
i think it may be just water in her middle ear. anyone else have any other ideas?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Well, it can be a middle ear infection. Sometimes it can be a pulsatile tinnitus where you hear your own pulse. The most common cause of pulsatile tinnitus is noisy blood flow as blood pushes through plaques or kinks in the arteries in the head or neck. It can be made worse if there is also hypertension. Several types of fistulas in the blood vessels of head and neck, especially the carotid artery or jugular vein can also cause this.
Increased blood flow as seen in anemia and hyperthyroid state can also cause pulsatile tinnitus. Fluid in middle ear can be another cause. Vascualr tumors of middle ear such as glomus tumors or paragangliomas can also cause this.
Please consult an ENT specialist and a vascular specialist for this. Your friend may need angiograms, dopplar studies of vessels of head and neck and may be CT scans of ear. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.  Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

thanks for the help! i told her and she's gonna get it checked out