heart
i was recently told that i have a widening of the main blood vessel to the heart which is a aorta aneurysm and that my cholesterol is up to 7 and i am a smoker. do anyone know of anyone that has had this problem  and if so what is it about. i do not know enough about it and i feel that i am like a walking time bomb ready to go off at any time and i find it frightening.
I have an abdominal aortic aneurysm.
An aortic aneurysm is a weakened and bulging area or balloons outward in the aorta, the major blood vessel that feeds blood to the body. Most aneurysms are small, slow growing, rarely rupture and usually without symptoms. Risk factors  include high blood pressure, Atherosclerosis, smoking, high cholesterol, and obesity.
From what I was told, annual monitoring is done to determine  the size and rate at which it is growing.  If and when it gets a certain size (the larger the aneurysm the more likely it is to rupture), then they operate.  When it gets a certain size it can suddenly erupt at any time - there is no or not much signs and warnings.  When it does erupt death is almost instant or within minutes.  In other words very little time to get to ER.  That is why its important to have it checked annually and surgery done when necessary.  
There's no pill you can take to prevent an aortic aneurysm. The best approach to prevent an aortic aneurysm is to keep your blood vessels as healthy as possible. That means taking these steps by keeping your blood pressure under control, don't smoke, get regular exercise, and reduce cholesterol and fat in your diet. Stopping smoking is particularly important because smoking increases the risk of aneurysm enlargement.
More info at these two sites:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000162.htm
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/aortic-aneurysm/DS00017

Actor George Scott died of an eruped abdominal aortic aneurysm.

Good Luck.
Hi Paul, it is so important that you stop smoking right now. Cut out all greasy fried foods,soda,and fatty desserts.

Relax,keep BP under control & do what the doctors tell you to do.

There is no room for error.
thanks for all the information, it is very helpful. unfortunately i am still smoking but i am trying to eat better than i have in the past.
hi, thanks for your information, i need to change my lifestyle but its going to take a long time to do it because i have been eating wrong, sleeping habits are bad and the list goes on and on.