Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
heat in lower back

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

heat in lower back

In the last two weeks I've noticed I have seen sensations in my lower back that come and go. I have not injured my back in any way. Like the other people who posted I too have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and also some adrenal insufficiency. I have fatigue and don't always sleep well. I also noticed intermittent pain on top of my right knee. Again, there is no injury there and it is not joint pain. I am male, 50 yrs of age.

This discussion is related to Heat Sensation Lower back area.
In the last two weeks I've noticed I have HEAT sensations in my lower back that come and go. I have not injured my back in any way. Like the other people who posted about this, I too have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I also have some adrenal insufficiency. I have fatigue and don't always sleep well. I also noticed intermittent pain on top of my right knee. Again, there is no injury there and it is not joint pain. I am male and 50 yrs of age
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Since you have heat sensation in lower back and knee pain, there is a chance that you have compression of the spinal nerves in the lumbo-sacral spine region. This can happen due to overuse of the lower back as in work requiring too much of bending, lifting weight, fall on the back, overweight, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, poor posture etc. Poor posture while sleeping, sitting on computers or jobs for a long time, uneven bed, exposure of back to cold air while sleeping can cause a discomfort for a few days.  Take a multivitamin, plenty of fluids, and an OTC analgesic. Apply a local analgesic and apply a heating pad and see if it helps. If this does not help, consult a neurologist. A MRI of the spine will be definitely required and nerve conduction studies may also be needed. The treatment is to remove the compression. You have to discuss the best treatment option with a neurologist, which can range from medication to physiotherapy to traction, lumbar belts, lumbar corsets or even surgery.
Otherwise it can be due to peripheral neuropathy of hypothyroidism and joint pains also may be associated with low thyroid.
Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Take care!

Fatigue can be reduced using sugar-silicon-beryl crystalline treatment (found in pears) I did some information about the sleeping condition. If you don't like sleeping, doing 70 minutes of aerobics (especially aerobics of yoga) will help.
That is, the sleeping condition of my other posts.
I have been having knee pain and pelvic and hip pain for about 2 months now, but yesterday I started having this weird heat sensation in my lower left back.  I was sitting in a chair and had to turn around and make sure I was not leaning against a heating pad.  It only last a few seconds but I have never experienced anything like this before.  I just went to the doctor on Tuesday of this week but at the time I wasn't having this heat sensation. I had bloodwork done but have not received the results yet.
Last year I began having knee and pelvic pain like you -- minor at first with increasing frequency. Then my skin started to feel like it was burning -- sort of like a sunburn but not the heating pad you describe. And I had some numbness in my foot -- but attributed it all to my psoriatic arthritis. Earlier this summer it became progressively worse until I could barely stand, let alone walk. First they diagnosed this as a complication of my psoriatic arthritis, but it was much worse than I'd ever experienced. Then they diagnosed me with severe vitamin D deficiency and put me on megadoses and antibiotics for a bladder infection. I didn't get back to normal, but could at least walk with a walker. While diagnosing kidney stones, they discovered severe degeneration in my lower spine. After MRI and nerve test, they discovered two discs are completely gone with degeneration and spinal stenosis through my lumbar area. My vitamin D deficiency caused osteopenia in my spine adding to the degeneration. I've just completed my second lumbar steroid injection with minor results and now the lower back and buttock burning has increased to the heating pad symptom following that second shot. It gets so bad I have to use ice packs to keep from feeling my skin will blister (I know it won't but the sensation is there.) And while the pain is better, my right leg has begun to give out on me at random times and mostly numb; and now the left foot is starting to become numb. I'm sure it's all related, but the reason I'm posting my story is as a cautionary tale. I don't know if it would have made a difference to be more proactive, but I keep thinking that if I'd gone earlier maybe they would have diagnosed the vitamin d deficiency and the osteopenia and degeneration might not have been so severe. Maybe if they'd caught it before the discs were gone they could have done something less invasive. Now I'm facing spinal fusion -- not a happy prospect.

If your bloodwork was normal; make sure the included a vitamin d test, it's not always standard. Get a bone density test and push for more diagnostics on your spine.