Undiagnosed Symptoms Expert Forum
heavy breathing

Topics covered include , breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

heavy breathing

I was reading a past post by "mominpain" looking for answers to my symptoms, and I seem to feel the same way as her.

About a week ago I started feeling like it was hard to breath. It is not painfull, just harder than normal, like a brick is on my chest. It hurts if you press right between my breasts, but not horribly. I also feel like bubbles are floating and popping all over my chest and under my ribs (maybe gas?.) I went to the ER as my doctor told me and everything was fine. I went to my doctor and had many tests run and they were all normal. I told her about my "bubbles" and asked if maybe that is a possible cause of the chest heavyness. She didnt really give me any insight but did give me some pepcid and malox, which helped a bit but the heavyness is still there. She also gave me some xanax for anxiety which was fine, but I started having panic attacks when I was 16 and am very experianced with controlling it and knowing what it feels like. I am a little anxious because I am worried no one will figure out whats wrong, other than that, I am not pannicking and am sick of people telling me that is the problem. I take the xanax and feel calm...ofcourse. But the chest heavyness is still there and I just want to feel like I did before. Also, when I try to do anything active, I feel so weak, because of my breathing. Please let me know what to check for, or if I should see a specialist. Thanks!
Anxiety can lead to the symptoms, but ruling out more serious disease should be done first.  

Chest discomfort and shortness of breath can be caused by a variety of diseases.  Ruling out a blood clot with a CT scan and evaluating the heart with an echocardiogram can be considered.  GI causes such as upper GI syndromes can be evaluated with an upper endoscopy.

If the tests continue to be non-revealing, you can consider optimizing treatment for anxiety.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_