Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
help - unable to eat without pain for over 6 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I am a 35 year old woman with constant mid and lower left abdominal pain and nausea that began over 1 1/2 months ago. It began with severe pain, nausea, lack of appetite, and fatigue. I went to my doctor numerous times and the ER 3 times due to the symptoms, dehydration, and even once for impaction. Bowels have been abnormal. I spent over 4 weeks living on water, Gatorade, and jello. I can now make myself eat some solids, but have instant nausea and increased pain after eating. The pain seems to be at the peak about 3 hours after eating but continues throughout the day. Trying to stay with liquid based foods except once during the day. Any ideas of what may be wrong and how much longer till I might start feeling better and it is interfering with my family life and career? Have been seeing a gastro dr for past 2 weeks. Weight loss and fatigue has begun to set in as well.

Tests:
Ultrasound of gall bladder - clear
Lower CT with and without contrast - some gastritis
Colonoscopy - clear
Endoscopy - clear with the exception of some reflux
Blood count - white blood count was up initially, not sure what it is now
Urine - ok

Meds I'm currently taking:
Linzess one each morning
Prilosec one each evening

Elevated white blood count usually indicates your body is fighting an infection.

The symptoms you describe and these have been diagnosed as being gastritis and the reason why you have been prescribed with your medications.  Gastritis is inflammation or erosion of the stomach lining.

It would be worth getting checked for Halibacter Pilori if this has not been done.  The blood tests are not very accurate for this.  Sometimes a stool sample is taken, but a breath test is more accurate and will detect if you have Halibater Pilori.  This is usually treated with antacids and two different types of antibiotic at the same time.

My daughter had halibacter pilori, she suffered with the symptoms you describe.  It took a long time to get it diagnosed.

Hope you get sorted out soon.

Best wishes.

Hope you get sorted out soon.

Best wishes.
I went to my doctor for the follow up visit from colonoscopy and endoscopy. Labs looked good - though ran them again today to make sure no changes. No H.Pylori, parastites, etc found in cultures. Did say I had some gastritis and hernia in stomach - nothing concerning.

I am having a barium ct to look at small bowel tomorrow morning and being referred to gynecologist to rule out female problems as well next week. Still trying to figure out what could be going on.
Gastritis and a hernia are bad enough and not very pleasant as you know.  Hope your gastritis has settled and that you have been given advice so that your hernia does not get any bigger.  Be careful when lifting anything, do not strain as you will make it worse.

Hope they found nothing serious in the small bowel.
And hope you get on alright with the gynae.

Keep a record of what you eat and drink, so that you will be able to identify any foods that cause your gastric problems and then be able to avoid it.

Best wishes.
Finally was diagnosed with gastroparesis after being hospitalized for inability to eat/drink without heaving and/or vomiting and near passing out. Spent a week in the hospital then came back home for 1 week before being hospitalized for 2 more weeks. Now I have a G-J tube. I am tube feeding at nighttime for 12 hours. I am still not able to take anything orally besides a little liquid throughout the day. Still having to stay in constant contact with doctors and dietician because am only able to tolerate 35 mL per hour - the goal is 100 mL per hour. At least I am able to get some nutrition so things will hopefully begin improving soon.
I recently discovered Nux Vomica which works on my heartburn, Reflux and IBS pretty well.  At least when I bend over I don't upchuck anymore and I don't get that horrible burning pain when I burp.  Goldenseal also helps my stomach problems.  I hope this helps you as well.  
PS  I had a fundoplication - surgery where the top of my stomach was stapled to my esophagus to stop reflux.  - Well, it doesn't work so don't do it.  What does work for me are the supplements I mentioned.  
Sorry to hear you have been so unwell.  
Good to know that you are being looked after and albeit you are being tube fed (which is nice) at least you are being properly nourished and will be able to regain your strength soon.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.