Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
high rheumatoid factor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

high rheumatoid factor

I just got test result showing an RA factor of 93.6 which my doctor said was very high, but my sed rate was normal and that seem to bewilder him.  I am always tired and my muscles and joints all seem to hurt all the time (note that I run several times a week though) and I was wondering what this might indicate because generally I thought rheumatoid arthritis would have abnormal sed rate too.  Thanks
Your SED rate will behigh during a "flare", but lower or normal at other times. Elevated RA factor usually gets a diagnosis. Re-test SED when you are feeling extra bad, and it will almost surely be higher.
Several months ago I got diagnosed with Fibromylagia (fibromyalgia)..big time!  I had an RA factor of 79.5 but had pins/needles and heat feeling all over my body and generalized bone pain. I had my RA factor retested last month and it came out 66.  My doc said that I have something brewing but I don't have to have RA. It could be something else. Then 4 days ago all broke loose! All of a sudden my wrists,fingers,elbows, shoulders HURT!!!! Been living with moist heat on those areas. I think I may have RA and am so scared. I can't take any of the meds for it due to two reasons. I have terrible gastritis, gerd and acid reflux with errosions, etc. I had to take a baby asperin. Took it with food and I was in so much pain. Bile came out of my mouth. Also, I was near a person with TB and got a latent infection 12yrs. ago. Never took the antibiotics for it because they said it would be too dangerous for me. If I take the other meds you're speaking of, then the TB will be activated. My sed rate was fine, then came back a bit low. Have to take blood test again.
Also, I have colitis and my liver enzmyes are elevated. I can't think straight.
Any comments? Does anyone know where I can go from here? Is it possible that I may have another form of arthritis? A couple of my fingers have changed a bit.

How are you?
A high rheumatoid factor indicates rheumatoid arthritis. An ESR test done on an empty stomach is usually more accurate.
Please discuss this with your doctor. Take care!
Hi there, about 4 months ago I had extreme pain in my knees and could barely move....I ended up in the hospital.  I went to my Dr and he ran blood work....turns out I have Lyme Disease and my Rheumatoid Factor was high.  I was treated for the Lyme Disease but still don't know if it's out of my system.  I was ok for a little bit then about 2 weeks ago I got a flu shot....within 2 days I was miserable.  I ended up in the hospital again 3 times in 8 days due to so much pain I can't even describe it.  I am still in pain now although not as much....but it's enough to keep me up most nights.  I am sooo frustrated at this point because the Rheumatologists take such a slow approach to all this I've already tried so many different meds and they either make me sicker or don't work at all.  The pain is mostly in my knees but also in my feet, ankles, neck, hands, wrists and back.....I don't know what to do.....I'm soo scared.  I'm only 27 and am married with 2 and am the sole provider for my family.  I can't be sick....someone please help.
A related discussion, whats wrong with me? was started.