Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
high white blood cell count and yet unexplainable abdominal pain...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I am a 19 yr. old female with a healthy back round and no history of surgeries, diseases, or genetical problems. i have had an awful abdominal pain and was recenly admitted to the local E.R.  where they did lab, urine specimen, g-bladder ultrsound, pelvis ultrsound, vgnal ultrsound, 2 pelvic exams through my vagina, and a catscan before adn after the dye injection! but nothing showed to be wrong or out of place, the dr.s actually told me everything looked perfectly normal and all tests negative. the only thing they did find was that my white blood cell count was at 22000! so they know i have an infection or my body is trying to fight something somewhere! ... but they could not pin point it! they sent me home with only an intravaneous antibiotic and ibuprofin for the pain! but still no answer and i was in pain and could barely stand to walk! ... they said i was to go in 2-3 days later to get the second antibiotic dose and to re-do blood work to check the white blood cell count! and if it is still high they want to do immediate open abdominal exploratory surgery! ... it is now 24 hrs. after i have been sent home and still in pain and not any better! ... i am worried to just let them go inside and look for anything becasue the dr. at the e.r. told me even then after surgery its not a guarantee theyll find anything! ... dont know what else to do!( i am trying to find an answer some where before having to get surgery!!! does anyone have an explanation?
1 Comment
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
If you have a high WBC count with abdominal pain then the first thing to be ruled out is UTI. A urine sample should be tested. Next is to rule out hepatitis and pancreatitis by liver function test, serum amylase and lipase. Third is to rule out inflammation of gut (if you have gas or constipation or loose stool). It can also be gut or genital tuberculosis or infection. Discuss these possibilities with your treating doctor.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
there are other tests they can do before they do surgery, which i would consider  to be last resort.  

Exams and tests

While the history and physical examination are vitally important in determining the cause of abdominal pain, testing often is necessary to determine the cause.

Laboratory tests. Laboratory tests such as the complete blood count (CBC), liver enzymes, pancreatic enzymes (amylase and lipase), and urinalysis are frequently performed in the evaluation of abdominal pain.

An elevated white count suggests inflammation or infection (as with appendicitis, pancreatitis, diverticulitis, or colitis).

Amylase and lipase (enzymes produced by the pancreas) commonly are elevated in pancreatitis.

Liver enzymes may be elevated with gallstone attacks.

Blood in the urine suggests kidney stones.

When there is diarrhea, white blood cells in the stool suggest intestinal inflammation.
Plain X-rays of the abdomen. Plain X-rays of the abdomen also are referred to as a KUB (because they include the kidney, ureter, and bladder). The KUB may show enlarged loops of intestines filled with copious amounts of fluid and air when there is intestinal obstruction. Patients with a perforated ulcer may have air escape from the stomach into the abdominal cavity. The escaped air often can be seen on a KUB on the underside of the diaphragm. Sometimes a KUB may reveal a calcified kidney stone that has passed into the ureter and resulted in referred abdominal pain or calcifications in the pancreas that suggests chronic pancreatitis.

Radiographic studies.

Abdominal ultrasound is useful in diagnosing gallstones, cholecystitis appendicitis, or ruptured ovarian cysts as the cause of the pain.

Computerized tomography (CT) of the abdomen is useful in diagnosing pancreatitis, pancreatic cancer, appendicitis, and diverticulitis, as well as in diagnosing abscesses in the abdomen. Special CT scans of the abdominal blood vessels can detect diseases of the arteries that block the flow of blood to the abdominal organs.

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is useful in diagnosing many of the same conditions as CT tomography.

Barium X-rays of the stomach and the intestines (upper gastrointestinal series or UGI with a small bowel follow-through) can be helpful in diagnosing ulcers, inflammation, and blockage in the intestines.

Computerized tomography (CT) of the small intestine can be helpful in diagnosing diseases in the small bowel such as Crohn's disease.

Capsule enteroscopy, a small camera the size of a pill swallowed by the patient, can take pictures of the entire small bowel and transmit the pictures onto a portable receiver. The small bowel images can be downloaded from the receiver onto a computer to be inspected by a doctor later. Capsule enteroscopy can be helpful in diagnosing Crohn's disease, small bowel tumors, and bleeding lesions not seen on x-rays or CT scans.
Endoscopic procedures.

Esophagogastroduodenoscopy or EGD is useful for detecting ulcers, gastritis (inflammation of the stomach), or stomach cancer.

Colonoscopy or flexible sigmoidoscopy is useful for diagnosing infectious colitis, ulcerative colitis, or colon cancer.

Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) is useful for diagnosing pancreatic cancer or gallstones if the standard ultrasound or CT or MRI scans fail to detect them.

Balloon enteroscopy, the newest technique allows endoscopes to be passed through the mouth or anus and into the small intestine where small intestinal causes of abdominal pain or bleeding can be diagnosed, biopsied, and treated.
Surgery. Sometimes, diagnosis requires examination of the abdominal cavity either by laparoscopy or surgery.

http://www.medicinenet.com/abdominal_pain/page3.htm

NOTICE:  the last option on the list is surgery.  There are more advanced/modern and safe ways to view the abdomen without having to cut.