huge pain inside anus/rectum
Wonder if anyone can help as I really don't want to bother my busy doctor unless really necessary.
I woke up during the night with intense internal pain just inside my anus - I got up and went to the bathroom but had no BM, but in the still of the night could hear rumbling of wind in my bowel. The pain lasted for about an hour, it was sooo bad I was crying with it.  However it subsided enough for me to sleep again. This morning there is still a gnawing pain, like toothache up inside a couple of inches - but nothing like the severity of during the night.  Previous to this I have had an aching lower back for a couple of days.

Anyone got any ideas?

I also suffer from this condition.  My doctor finally diagnosed me with Proctalgia fugax It refers to pain (sometimes severe) in the rectum. It can last from a few seconds to a few minutes and often occurs spontaneously during the night. Pain sometimes accompanies orgasm (which has never happened to me) and there may be an urge to defecate. The pain is sharp and gripping but remains localized. Relief is spontaneous but some people find also relief from warm baths, or ice cubes (anything to disrupt the spasms). Medications, such as diazepam, may be prescribed in cases that are very regular and/or severe.  At any rate, I do nothing for them.  It sucks!
are you a man? If so, you could have a prostate infection. My husband had severe back pain and a shooting pain into his rectum for 3 months. He tried to ignore it but it just kept getting worse. Turns out, it is an infection of the prostate. Easily treated with a 3 week round of Cipro (antibiotic).
A related discussion, same pain was started.
have same thing , use hemmoroid cream , seem sto control it
I stumbled upon this ..so sorry u have this pain....proctalgia fugax sounds familiar...
I have similar pain from levator ani muscle I think same type of Charlie horse pain lasting from 5 to 15 minutes..
Dr. In Hong Kong gave me xylocaine 4% oint. Prescription in states...which really helped and he also said ventolin might help as it relaxes muscle.. interesting because I only read about that possibly working in 1 article..
Hurts really bad...I have had rectal fissures in past  also.....this cramping is worse for me after painful hard bm with straining but mine have come on for no specific reason also...
I did some research here and found a hospital in my area that has a pelvic
floor issues clinic....they referred me to physical therapists that might help
Teach techniques to help relieve the pain....
If it comes back in repeated waves I will see them...
Hope this helps..