intense pain on left ankle bone
I have had horrible shooting pain on my left ankle bone.  It does not go away.  My ankle bone is a little swollen - I also get pain on the inside of my elbow - but the ankle pain is more intense.
I have tried wrapping it - elevating it - nothing helps.  Does anyone know what this is and what I can do about it?
My cobra (insurance ran out) and I have not gone to ther Dr. yet. Is it Fibromyalgia or arthritis?  I did not have ab injury.  The pain is at times - unbearable. I hope someone can shed light on this.  Does a cortisone shot help?

This discussion is related to nerve pain-ankle.
Without having a specialist looking at a x-ray or cat scan...it would be difficult  to tell what actually is going on. Have you had any tests done? Blood work?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Ankle pain can be due to several reasons depending on the site. The simplest reason of a generalized ankle pain is sprain—like in wearing high heels, twisting your ankle etc. Since there is swelling on one side this could be due to ligament tear or bony spur. Impingement of the ankle joint between the bones of ankle and foot is another possibility. Osteoarthritis, gout and rheumatoid arthritis are the other possibilities. Bursitis can give a sudden onset pain. Dislocation or rupture of a tendon can also cause shooting pain. Stress fractures of medial malleolus, tarsal tunnel syndrome, and sinus tarsi syndrome (pain just front of lateral malleolus on the outer side of ankle) are the other possibilities.
The clue to right treatment is right diagnosis of the cause of pain.  You can consult an orthopedic specialist. X-rays, MRI, blood tests etc may be required. Take care!