Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
internal tremor and palpitations

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

internal tremor and palpitations

I'm 22 years old, I've been experiencing these symptoms since I was 21.
I've been having problems at night when I lay down to sleep. Sometimes my body starts to feel shaky on the inside. It's hard to explain to doctors when they ask. I'm not physically shaking to the point where you could see it, I just feel shaky or trembling internally. I also am sensitive to palpitations, which I also feel during these night tremors. When this happens to me, I cannot fall asleep. I get scared that something is seriously wrong and it's an uncomfortable feeling so it keeps me awake for hours while laying in bed. I have gone to multiple doctors, even a heart specialist. Everything is coming out normal, I don't have anxiety though they all suggest that's where the tremor comes from. But I have nothing to be anxious about, I like my life, the only thing that worries me is my weird health problems. I've worn a heart monitor for 24 hours to catch any serious heart skipping, but the monitor came back normal. Though when I was wearing the monitor I did not experience my palpitations or tremor. They both happen on random nights and recently they've been happening during the day. I've had two episodes where I felt so weak and ill that I almost passed out, and those symptoms also came out of no where and went away on their own.  I also feel like I am breathing heavily, taking deep breaths rather than normal ones. Doctors never addressed the faint feeling as being related to palpitations. Basically I'm wondering if anyone has gotten results for such symptoms because I read many stories online that look similar to mine and the end result is that there are no answers. It can't possibly be normal. I just want answers before something serious happens that could have been prevented. I'm also wondering what else I should get checked out besides my heart since they didn't find anything, possibly lungs?
My internal tremors are usually more common at night when lying down regardless of the cause. In particular, my heart problems, internal tremors, and needing to take deep breaths was from severe magnesium deficiency.  But i have also had internal tremors from metabolic acidosis (i was also breathing more than normal with this condition) and i currently have tremors on and off from hashitoxicosis - hyperthyroid flare ups with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (autoimmune hypothyroidism). My heart goes over 100bpm on and off and my blood pressure is erratic going from severe stage 3 hypertension to better than optimal. O_o

Causes of tremors include:

Multiple sclerosis
Stroke
Traumatic brain injury
Brain tumour
Chronic kidney disease
Parkinson's disease
Drugs side effects
Hyperthyroidism or hashitoxicosis
Liver failure
Mercury toxicity
Hypoglycemia
Metabolic or respiratory acidosis
Electrolytes imbalance:
- Magnesium
- Potassium
- Calcium
- Sodium
Deficiency states:
- Vitamin B12
- Thiamine (vitamin B1)
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin B6
Lyme's Disease
Adrenal gland problems
Virus or an infection
Autonomic nervous system dysfunction
Aspartame
Stress/anxiety
sounds as if you may need have your heart monitored for a bit longer.
It could be palpitations, if your heart beat goes fast, the time for filling of the heart is reduced so its output make be reduced causing a drop in blood pressure making you light-headed and dizzy.
Have you had your thyroid checked?
Can you take your pulse when you have the tremors/
the alternative is certainly likely to be anxiety, not everyone who is anxious realises what they are feeling is due to anxiety, it can cause many differnt symptoms. Good luck
That is so strange.  The same thing happens to me.  I mentioned this to my doctor once but she didn't seem too concerned.  Have some health problems we're trying to figure out so I am doing a lot of tests and bloodwork.  Once the tests come back and I get my results, I will mention this to my specialist.  Hope you find out why you are feeling this way.  Cheers!
Thanks for the replies! I have gotten blood work done before and they didn't find anything. When I had an EKG of my heart the doctors found a condition called mitral valve prolapse which is not a serious condition the only symptoms that are common are palpitations. But I also feel very tired and gittery or tremors often which can make me feel sick to my stomach so that's why I think there's something else that's wrong. I have read that MVP can cause panic disorders or anxiety which do have the symptoms of being sick to my stomach or experience tremors. I just don't mentally feel anxious or in a panic so I don't believe that I just have anxiety when doctors tell me that. Are there any tests to find anxiety or panic disorders so I could know for sure? Because the feelings I experience are very uncomfortable and they often keep me from enjoying myself or going out to enjoy myself. I've stopped drinking socially, which I used to do every weekend, because when I drink it seems to get worse. I just want to enjoy my life like I used to.
MVP can cause many of the symptoms you have described, MVP is a physical condition; but in your case it's probably brought on by some form of dysautonomia which would explain the other symptoms. You need to have you catecholamines tested, get checked for antinuclear antibodies and see a neurologist.
Magnesium deficiency symptoms include anxiety and panic attacks and is linked to MVP.

"Mitral Valve Prolapse: The Links to Magnesium Deficiency

Though they do not appear to be widely known, there are a wide variety of medical research studies from various parts of the world that link MVP to magnesium deficiencies, and/or that show improvement of MVP symptoms from magnesium treatment. These studies include:

A study in Denmark showed that Cavalier King Charles spaniels frequently have both MVP and low magnesium levels.

A study in Paris found a link between magnesium deficiency, latent tetany, hyperventilation syndrome, spasmophilia, chronic fatigue syndrome, neurocirculatory asthenia and mitral valve prolapse syndrome.

Russian researchers found that patients with mitral valve prolapse appeared to suffer from magnesium deficiency. Magnesium therapy completely or partially reduced the symptoms in more than half the patients.

In a study published in 2004, researchers in Sweden found that the magnesium concentration in lysates of lymphocytes was significantly lower in the patients with mitral valve prolapse syndrome than in healthy controls, suggesting that "magnesium deficiency may be part of the mechanisms of the mitral valve prolapse syndrome."

Researchers in Romania found that magnesium therapy should be applied consistently and for long periods of time to control latent tetany (severe muscle cramps) and to prevent MVP.

A paper in the journal, Magnesium, noted that magnesium deficiency hinders the mechanism by which fibroblasts degrade defective collagen, increases circulating catecholamines, predisposes to cardiac arrhythmias, thromboembolic phenomena and dysregulation of the immune and autonomic nervous systems. The paper authors noted that magnesium therapy provides relief of MVP symptoms.

Another paper from the journal, Magnesium, found that out of the 24 patients with MVP who underwent 16 weeks of treatment with magnesium 29.2% became asymptomatic between the 4th and 12th weeks, in 45.8% one or two symptoms of a psychic nature persisted (e.g. anxiety, depressive tendency), and the remaining 25% showed an improvement, albeit, a less marked one.

A 1985 study found that in a group of patients with MVP, low magnesium levels were found to be statistically significant. The researchers assumed magnesium to have an important role particularly in causing the rhythm and neuropsychic disturbances in pathogenesis of mitral valve prolapse.

In a 1975 study in France, researchers reviewed the role of the low erythrocyte (cellular) magnesium in MVP."

Excerpt from "Mitral Valve Prolapse - What Causes It? Can Diet Changes Help?"
A related discussion, Internal Night Tremors was started.