Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
itchy scalp
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

itchy scalp

I've never had any issues with my hair, but all of I've noticed when washing it and brushing it alot more is coming out than normally would.  And it is alot thinner in just a couple weeks.  My scalp is itchy like no other and I've used ever dandruff shampoo, home remedies, even cortisone cream on my scalp...nothing seems to keep the itch away.  Now I've started to get small lumps on my scalp and behind my left ear that are a little hard but moveable and after a few days now they've went away.  I have no clue what is going on. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Oh yeah I also went to doctor when it all first started, they gave me some type of oil treatment stuff to put on my scalp at night and where a shower cap with....that too did not help.
3 Comments
Blank
try a different shampoo, it could be a allergic reaction. if that doesn't work id stop using everything and go back to see your gp when the condition is I=at its worse
Blank
Try asking your doctor to order a blood test to check thyroid function. Itchy scalp, hair loss and rashes often go along with hypothroid conditions.
Blank
Consider seeing someone in dermatology.  I don't think thyroid dysfunctions usually come on so quickly, and I think you'd have other symptoms as well.  I think fungal infections can cause hair loss and itching, and maybe lumps (depending on what the lumps actually are), and OTC dandruff shampoo wouldn't be enough to take care of it.  At the very least go back to your doctor to tell him that the oil didn't work and you're getting worse.

If you changed your hair products right before this happened, then I think angetay09 might be on to something with the allergic reaction, but it's still worth seeing dermatology for it.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Undiagnosed Symptoms Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank