left Arm heaviness, chest pain
I'm a fit, 21 year old female. About 4 months ago I began experiencing heaviness in my left arm, as if it weighed more than the right one. This was accompanied by mild pain on the left side of my chest. I figured my arm had just given out from playing piano ( I'd been practicing obsessively), took a few weeks off, and waited for the pain to go away. It only got worse.

I started experiencing sharp pain in my left arm, along with severe heaviness in both the chest and arm. Headaches on only the LEFT side, and stiffness in left neck. Sometimes I cannot even hold my head up on the left. I've been to the ER THREE times, once because somebody called an ambulance while I was at work, thinking I was having a heart attack. Supposedly all tests came out clear- EKG, MRI on brain and spine, chest x-ray, vital signs, etc. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia but these severe symptoms do not seem related. It has now become so painful, I have to limit my daily activity and cannot play piano for more than 20 minutes a day. Even typing is difficult, as it feels like my left hand is weighted with chains.

Another thing that may be important is that I had  been taking Addoral for ADD for about a year. After these symptoms started, I found that the addoral made it worse, so I discontinued use. I've also quit smoking.

Please Help me if you have any information as to why this is happening to me. It is destroying my life.  

Causes of chest pain and heaviness in chest and arm are many. It can be due to hypertension,Gastroesophageal reflux disease(do you have heart burn and difficulty in  swallowing), disorders involving the lung like Pneumonia, pulmonary embolism, pneumothorax, Mediastinal emphysema etc;cardiac diseases, lung cancer, thoracic outlet syndrome,pancreatitis,gall bladder disease and muscle pain.

Sometimes, a cervical disk may irritate the nerve roots going to the chest wall and produce chronic chest pain that is aggravated by walking and certain body positions.Anemia,smoking and thyroid diseases(hyperthyroidism)can also cause chest pain.

Going by your symptoms, it seems to be pain due to GERD or fibromyalgia.Pls consult a physician for evaluation.You may need barium studies or upper GI endoscopy to rule out GERD and other esophageal pathologies.You may need blood tests like Hb and thyroid function tests to rule out other pathologies.

Antidepressant drugs have been used frequently to treat fibromyalgia. Amitriptyline  and Fluoxetine have been used to treat fibromyalgia.If the diagnosis of fibromyalgia is confirmed then you have to start with these.

Take care and do keep us posted on how you are doing.
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.