Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
leg angioplasty complications

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

leg angioplasty complications

Following an angioplasty of my leg to improve circulation of blood to my feet, (June 2008) I am still in chronic pain, and swelling of the leg from the top of the leg to mid calf.

I've had two other angioplasty procedures one earlier and one a little later without any post op effects.

The only difference in the June procedure is that the surgeon made a six inch incision in the groin area to access the artery for the angioplasty.

Anyone ideas why the chroinic pain, swelling, etc.????
1 Comment

Two possibilities are there for this chronic pain in the leg even after angioplasty.Firstly,it can be due to restenosis.It can occur after a few months of angioplasty and restenosis happens in as many as 30 percent to 40 percent of cases.

The second possibility is of blood clots.They can form after weeks or months after surgery.These clots may even cause a heart attack,So,it is absolutely necessary to take aspirin, clopidogrel (Plavix) and other medications to decrease the chance of clots forming in the stent.

I feel that you should consult your surgeon and discuss your symptoms and these two possibilities with him.A MRA or angiography may be needed to confirm a diagnosis.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.