Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
leg numbness and pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

leg numbness and pain

I am a 25 yr old  healthy female.  2 years ago I began to have numbness/tingling/pain in my right leg.  It is only on the outside of the leg, and is centered around a 2" by 2" area.   There is no mark or temperature difference in that side.  The symptoms disappeared for almost a year when I  had a seated job.  Now I am back to being on my feet all day and it is back with a vengence.  Instead of mostly numb with a little pain, it starts with a little numbness and stays in pain most of the day.  Moving it up or elevating it more then 6 inches off the  ground makes it stop or calm down for a while.  My ideas are that is a clot or a pinched nerve.  Has anyone had this problem?  And if so what was it?  I am not diabetic and don't think my cholestrol is high.
you are wonderful.  Which type of doc would be the best to get it diagnosed/treated by?  Does yours ever stop?
I get them too. It's a pinched nerve, and very normal. You get them now because you are standing up and that puts more strain on the pinched nerve. I get them whenever I have been standing up or walking for awhile. I get them on my right leg also and sometimes on both.
I hope that helps some!
I went through a physical therapist and a pain management doctor. They took x-rays and I had a CT scan. I was getting the physical therapy every few weeks and it really helped. I haven't been for several years now (no insurance), so I feel it coming back and strong. Mine hasn't ever gone away, except for when I had the therapy. I also get it in my arms and hands (more at night.) It really sucks and sometimes when I have been walking for a long time and have it bad in my legs it starts hurting (only when it is really numb.)
I highly recommend the physical therapy though!!!
Good luck!
I have the same problem.  I believe it is a pinched nerve.  I had done some research about releiveing spinal pressure.  I have found that an inversion table might be the answer to decompressing the spinal and relieving the stress on the nerve.  I have also visited a chiropractor, but have found only a little relief. I tried the inversion table at a freinds and it was great.
I have a similar problem.  I have numbness, tingling sensation on my right leg and pain.  I also have some pain on my abdominal area (tenderness) that radiates to my lower back (worse during my period).  Sometimes the pain is even on my rectum.  I had several scans and they can't find anything.  They rule out ovaries, apendix, IBS, and gastro-intenstinal problems.  I am so frustrated because the pain is constant on my right leg and my abdomen.  any feedback :)
I am so glad that i have read this because now i feel like i might know what is going on with my leg. my right leg has been bothering me for some time now. it will go numb and sometimes have sharp pains. I was really scared that i had a blood clot but like you said i have no redness or swelling. it seems to hurt a lot more when i have been on my feet for a longer period of time. Sometimes it even gets so bad that i can barely walk on it. i feel a relief knowing that it is most likely just a pinched nerve.
I'm glad I came across your post.  I have numbness and tingling on my face, arm and leg, sometimes accompanied by pain, but only on my left side.  It goes away when I stand or walk around and gets worse the longer I sit or wakes me while I'm sleeping.  I had an MRI, one neurologist said I probably have MS and scared the **** out of me, I got a second opinion and the other neurologist said it's not MS.  We both think it's a pinched nerve as well.
You have nerve compression in the lumbar area. L1-L5. Sciatica. Do not get a CT scan or an x-ray. An x-ray is useless and obsolete, as well as the CT scan, which is inappropriate for a woman of child bearing age.

You need an MRI, preferably a "3T" MRI,  but that is not really necessary. The pinched nerve can be easily identified by a first year medical student from the dermatome (point of pain).

You need to go to a physical therapist. There are specific exercises to reduce inflammation. You also need to bhring the inlamation down. Physicians often use a short term of oral prednisone followed by ibuprufin. Dilute MEDICAL GRADE ONLY DSMO over the lumbar region (a medically unapproved procedure) will aleviate the inflamation (inflammation).

You have to have someone show you how to lift and avoid lifing anything for at least a year.

Get a so-called TENS device from your physician to eliminate pain.

This will go away.

The surgical treatment is called a laminectomy, which must be a last resort.