leg pains
Im a 45 yr old female, a smoker, taking noriday. I broke my rib last month and havent been very active since. In the last couple of weeks Ive had severe leg pains which pulsate, very strange sensations only when I lie down.One leg is worse and the hip on that side aches I was afraid it was dvt or artery problems but my doctor says its nothing to worry about. Any opinion would be gratefully appreciated.
Have you had ultrasounds to make sure that your arteries in your legs are not blocked?  If not, I would push for tests to make sure.  Another thing to check for is leukemia as leg pain is a symptom.  Our relative had blockage in her legs which the doctor said was nothing to worry about.  She had to have her leg amputated and almost lost the other leg also.  Better to be safe and get all the tests done.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
If you are a smoker, have a history of trauma and are on a contraceptive hormonal pill, then believe me you are a potential candidate for deep vein thrombosis (DVT). I am sorry to say this but it had to be said. This combination followed by inactivity causes further venous pooling and sluggishness and hastens clot formation. This can be diagnosed by color Doppler or by angiogram of the leg veins.

Please talk to your doctor about this. I am not saying it is DVT, but it should be investigated.

The other possibility is ‘restless leg syndrome’. “Restless legs syndrome (RLS) is a neurological disorder characterized by unpleasant sensations in the legs and an uncontrollable urge to move them for relief.” You can read more about this on: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/restless_legs/restless_legs.htm

Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my post as I have been very worried. Over the past couple of days the pains in my legs have eased and I feel less stressed. I have contacted my doctor and he still feels that artery problems are not an issue but given the fact that I have suffered with severe shoulder pain and frozen shoulders last year he thinks maybe arthritis may be an issue and hes sending me for lower back and hip xrays. I only hope this gives me some answers, I will update here when I have the results as it maybe of help to others. Many thanks again , the web site is fabulous.
Yes, if you have a history of frozen shoulder etc, then it makes sense to get the X-rays.
All the best!