leg wound that won't heal
a friend of mine had her leg run over by a truck. Months later a sore developed that wouln't get better and then made a hole in her leg. Doctor said she has foreign antibodies but not sure what. There was no blood circulation in that area at all. They did surgery and cut a BIG area out of her leg, right by her knee. But white fungus and even a mushroom like fungus keeps growing out of it. They sent samples away for testing. Lab has not come back with any results yet. Doctor says he's never seen anything like it. Any suggestions of what type of fungus, or bacteria, could cause this?And what treatment is needed? Thanks for your help.
I've seen wounds that wouldn't heal due to injury like this before.  Once the actual source of the infection is determined they will be able to use the proper antibiotics.  Alot of times cellulitis will form and other bacterias can thrive in it if it's not contained right away.  Hyperbaric wound therapy is probably the best bet as it keeps the wound in a steril environment and allows clean oxygen to assist in healing.  Your friend might also have to have additional surgical debridements as well.  I had an infection, post operatively 12 years ago, that caused all kinds of problems with me and I ended up in the hospital for a month.  I don't think they had the hyperbaric systems back then.  The wound was surgically debrided 8 times, whirlpool therapy (the wound remained open) and several packing changes a day.
I dont really have an answer for you, but my mother had a spot of skin cancer right behind her knee. They cut it out. It was a 2 inch wide by 1 inch deep hole that they took out. They sewed it back together and now she cant straighten her leg or bend it at the knee. Its tight all the time. She is in pain every day because of it and is now on pain killers just to get through the day. They did an ultrasound and it came back ok. Does anyone know what the cause could be and how she could get it to loosen up so that shes not limping around in pain all the time?
Did you ever find out what the culprit was? How was it treated?  

Early Nov 2006 I managed to slam the car door into my leg; the lower corner of the driver's door hit my left leg between the ankle and the knee. Blood everywhere. I cleaned it up really good, took care of it. But it wouldn't heal. Happened to see my MD a couple months later on another issue and showed him the hole in the leg, still red  and festering, though not infectious - obviously cellulitis. He had me see a dermatologist. Dermatologist said cellulitis and just had me keep cleaning it, using Polysporin... Now, 9 months later, while it's definitely improved, it's still hot to the touch on occasion and produces some whitish discharge periodically, though it does scab over.  But it's not doing anything.