light headed/dizzy after standing, and feel very unsteady
while I'm sitting down I have no problems, it only happens when I stand up.  After taking a couple of steps I get the feeling of being light headed/dizzy and very unsteady, like I'm going to fall over.  Doctors have been unable to find anything wrong.  This feeling builds up to where I need to release, like hitting a wall with my fist.  This has been going on for months.
Did they test your sugar levels ?could be low blood sugar do you feel better after you have eaten ?
Have you ever looked into POTS - Post Osterial Tachycardia. Test your blood pressure and pulse? Is your pulse high when you go from sitting to standing?
same thing happens to me, but im pregnant and they say its normal...
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
What you have is probably postural hypotension. The blood pressure falls when you stand and causes all the symptoms that you are suffering. Dehydration, certain medications, heart problems, untreated diabetes, and nervous system disorders can all cause this. TIAs or transient ischemic attacks can also be the cause. Certain internal ear problems can also affect blood pressure monitoring by the body by not properly signaling a change in position. Blood pressure monitoring, tilt table test, EKG, heart echo, ambulatory blood pressure recording are all required.
The other possibility is that ear is the cause. If ear is the cause of vertigo (rotator movement of self or environment) then it could be due to benign positional vertigo, Meniere's disease, vestibular neuronitis and labyrinthitis. Other causes of dizziness are otitis media, trauma, side effects of drugs, and fluid in ear. All these causes will have to be ruled out one by one by your ENT through specialized test. If it is blocked Eustachian tube, then doing a valsalva maneuver (Done by taking a deep breath and blowing while pinching your nostrils and closing your mouth) will help. This will help clear the secretions in the tube that connects the back of your throat with your ear.
Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Hope this helps. Take care!