Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
lingering low grade fever

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

lingering low grade fever

Between Dec 2 - 8, I had pharyngitis (went away by the 8th). All of a sudden on Dec 11 I get a fever, super nasal congestion, and coughs w/phlegm. My temperature ranged from 99.1 to 101, as weeks passed. Right before Christmas, my nasal congestion went away and my coughing subsided. Maybe once in a day or two, I'll have a dry cough. It's now the 29th and my temp is still at 99.5.

I've been to the doctors on the 4th and 13th. Each time, she told me to wait it out and that anything under 103 is not a fever. It's been 18days. The "fever" comes and goes - I can feel perfectly fine for a day before I feel "feverish". The congestion is gone and the cough is barely there.

Should I be concerned that I still feel "feverish" 18days later? I mean, I've practically been sick the entire December. I'm getting worried. Should I visit my doc again and be more persistent or wait it out like she says?
MAKE A APPOINTMENT WITH YOUR DOCTOR IT COULD BE VIRUS OR UPPER RESPIRATORY INFECTION AND YOU ARE STILL RUNNING A FEVER THAT IS TOO LONG, YOU DONT WANT TO GET A PNUEMONIA (pneumonia)
WHEN A DOCTOR WOULD TELL ME THAT, FIND A NEW DOCTOR OF GO TO EMERGENCY ROOM, IT NEED TO BE LOOKED AT. NOBODY RUNS A FEVER THAT LONG, GO TO THE HOSPITAL
Nancyal,

I hate it when docs just say "wait it out," or "that's not a fever."  My temp runs very low, averaging 97.5 typically.  Anything over a 99.5 is a fever to me as I run so low sometimes.  For a normal person I would say anything over 100 is a fever.  

I also tend to run a fever for a long time, sometimes as long as 3-4 weeks depending on what kind of viral nasty I've been infected by.  It sounds like you may need to find a new doctor and get a second opinion.  They should be running bloodwork, urinal and fecal samples, and if the fever continues they may want to check your heart.  Prolonged fevers can be a symptom for any number of other disorders.  Better to be safe than sorry, right?
I don't know if you should go back to the doctor, or find a new one, but I can tell you this. There is a virus going around that is just miserable and everyone in my house, has had it. It's lasts for weeks and when it seems to get better, it starts again. My kids have had it, my grandkids have had it, and now I have it. I too, have been running a low grade temp, off and on. It started about 2 weeks ago, and about the time I thought it was gone, it came back with vengence. This time around, I have even lost my voice. Lots of congestion in my nose and throat, makes me feel like I am drowning in it. One minute I am turning up the heat, the next, I am turning it down. It seems like I have just gone from one thing to the next. Oh, and I have even had some stomach upset. I hope you feel better soon. I hope we both do.