Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
lipoma surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

lipoma surgery

i just had a fatty tumor removed on thursday dec 18th.  my shoulder is very itchy and sometimes it burns.  right now it feels swollen and i'm in alot of pain.  the doctor has given me pain killers which sometimes works but i want to know if what i'm feeling is normal after the surgery or should i be concerned and call the doctor
Thanks for writing to the forum!

If the lipoma was on the shoulder then the symptoms are normal. Some swelling occurs in the initial stages due to inflow of blood and chemicals to the site of wound (surgical in your case). The itching is also normal. However if the lipoma surgery was done elsewhere on the arm, then you should seek immediate medical help to know why your shoulder is swelling.

The swelling and pain normally subsides by third or fourth day. Itching persists for some more time. Normal painkillers are generally sufficient to take care of the pain. However if the condition is persisting, please consult a doctor.

It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
thanks for responding to my question.  the surgery was done on my right shoulder.  its been over a week and i'm still in alot of pain and my shoulder is still swollen.  i think there is fluid in there.  what do they do if there is fluid in my shoulder where they removed the fatty tumor.  
Thanks for writing to the forum!

If you still have fluid in the shoulder area, maybe the infection is still persisting. The fluid would need to be drained. Maybe the scar be opened again and resutured. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining.
Please discuss this with your surgeon and get yourself investigated accordingly. Do keep me posted. Take care!