Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
long term headache

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

long term headache

I have had a headache since Aug. 4. It has been nearly all day, every day. I have been taking Aleve for the pain, sometimes it works, other times it does not. The headache is only on the right side of my head, directly behind my eye and near my right temple. Sometimes it also hurts to chew (not in my jaw, but behind my eye). I have seen 3 different doctors and been into urgent care twice. I have been told I have a sinus problem, had a cat scan and was put on a strong antibiotic. I had another doctor tell me that was ****. This is not a sinus headache. I have had several of those, this headache does not have congestion with it. I went to my eye doctor also and they said my eye was perfectly healthy. Up until now, I have not been a headache sufferer - I rarely get headaches at all. There is no stress, I am a teacher who was off for the summer. I have had a cat scan which revealed nothing. I have been told I do not have a brain tumor or meningitis. I have had blood work, been tested for Lyme's Disease and some other bug-borne illnesses I can't remember the names of. I hardly drink alcohol, I have since quit soda and I am not a coffee drinker. I sleep well. I am a non-smoker. I have high blood pressure but  I manage it with meds. The doctors have told me this has nothing to do with my BP, because my BP has been fine. My right shoulder hurts some days, but doesn't seem to be consistent with the headache.  I think that's about it. I'm looking for a different direction to go in to get rid of this headache or seeing if anyone has ever had a headache like this. Thanks.

Going by your symptoms,it looks like migraine headache to me. Migraine headaches usually are described as an intense, throbbing or pounding pain that involves temples or forehead and change sides from one attack to the next. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, facial pallor, cold hands, cold feet, and sensitivity to light and sound commonly accompany migraine headaches.

Treatment of migraine involves using a cold compress to the area of pain, resting in a room with little or no sensory stimulation (light, sound, and odors), withdrawing from stressful surroundings and sleeping. . Exercise regularly (daily if possible). Limit stress through regular exercise and relaxation techniques, Avoid bright or flashing lights and wearing sunglasses if sunlight is a trigger, Identify and avoid foods that trigger headaches by keeping a headache and food diary and Limit caffeine consumption to less than two caffeine-containing beverages a day.

You can also try over the counter pain killers like aspirin or acetaminophen. If still the symptoms persist, then please consult a physician for specific anti-migraine therapy(triptans and ergot preparations).

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional queries.

I too have been suffering from a constant, never gone, always present headache that worsens at times.  I have noticed if my allergies act up with runny nose watery eyes and heaven forbid sneezing it gets really bad.  Location back of the skull about the size of a golf ball when it is not terrible, but as the intensity increases so does the size as it increases in size in radiate down my spine, left arm, and left hand. This pain is not a shooting or throbbing pain it hurts but I don't know how to describe it.  I have numbness to my left 4th and 5th fingers usually and this too worsens when the pain is intense.  This headache started Oct 2003 and has not gone away as of yet.  Nothing has shown up on my CTs, MRI, labs, nerve conduction and emg showed weakness in left side. EEGs are normal. Recently the pain has been intense with attempts to treat with different medications have not been successful... It seems to run a course. Sleep seems to help, if I can go to sleep, ususally I have to take something very strong to make me sleep.  I don't have suggestions for you, other than continue to find a cause and cure it. Good Luck.