loss of toe nails
my daughter is 6yrs old and is loosing her toe nails she is loosing 5 nails  between the two feet been to doctors she says christina does not have a fungel infection can you explain what else can be causing this thanks

Loss of nails in the hands or feet is called onychoptosis.Fungal infection is the leading cause of  loss of toe nails. The fungi that cause onychoptosis thrive in dark, moist environments, so wearing tight shoes, socks, and stockings, can increase the risk of developing the condition. The fungi are also easily transferred from foot to foot and from person to person.Did you get a fungal KOH culture done.It has to be done to rule out the possibility of fungal infection.

Other causes of nail loss are injury, iron deficiency,zinc deficiency,skin conditions like psoriasis and thyroid disorders.Pls discuss these possibilities with your daughter’s doctor.

Hope it helps.Take care and regards.
thanks for your reply the doc says it does not look like a funal infection as nails look in good health she then said if it was a fungal infection she would not treat christina as side effect can give you liver damage , i will speak to doc thanks again
Without visual inspection it is difficult to develop an accurate diagnosis. One point I would like to make clear though is that treatment for fungal nail (onychomycosis) does not need to involve the liver and therfore no damage will be done. Topical tx via a nail paint has none of the side effects that are associated with oral systemic therapy. My advise would be to consult a podiatrist (foot dr), as we have studied 6years of just lower limb conditions compaired to that of 1year of your local GP.

Regards

Dr Foot
thank you for help i will be going back to see another doc