Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
low ferritin

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

low ferritin

I have had low ferritin levels for 5 years.  They are always 5 or 4 no matter how much iron I take.  My hemoglobin is normal.  I have been having shortness of breath severe hairloss weight gain fatigue,pale,these are just my latest symptoms.  The doctors are not concerned I am very concerned and scared.  Any input??
Avatar n tn
I have suffered with low ferritin levels that I know of for several years...I kept feeling very,very, very tired and had a Dr that checked for that. My hemoglobin will get kind of low though...it has been as low as 9. My ferritin level low was 2 but at the time my hemoglobin level was still 11. They have done all kinds of tests on me without finding a reason...except that I have taken a proton pump inhibitor, Nexium, Prilosec for the last 4 or 5 years and I feel that it effects how much iron I absorb. I am not able to to take an oral iron supplement because it brings my heartburn on...I have had three iron infusions in the last year and a half.

Low ferritin/serum ferritin (SF) levels with normal Hb can be a sign of impending iron deficiency anemia. As iron deficiency develops, low SF appears long before anemia.

Ferritin is a protein that helps store iron in the body. Results of this test give doctors a good idea of how much of the body's stored iron has been used up. If ferritin is low there is a risk for lack in iron which sooner or later could lead to anemia.

Pls get blood tests like MCV and peripheral smear done. If you are having low SF and normal Hband a low mean corpuscular volume (MCV), then you have iron deficiency.

There are two other conditions, besides iron deficiency, that may be associated with low SF: hypothyroidism and scurvy. In both of these situations, by the time SF falls below normal, the subject has anemia and other clinical features suggesting the diagnosis. Low
SF levels can be found in GI bleeding (esp. due to gastric malignancies).

It is also important to rule out these conditions.

Pls consult a physician and get yourself thoroughly examined and investigated to find out the diagnosis as treatment depends on the same.

Take care and do keep us posted on how you are doing.
I have had a miscarriage at 17 weeks induced, died at 12 weeks and that was 5 months ago. Last month my ferritin level was 7 and my Haemogloblin level was back to normal. I was told to visit the dr. again in 3 months last month to determine my ferritin then. I took Iron tabs with vit. c the first 2 weeks after the miscarriage and floradix once a day ever since that. I really hope my ferritin levels have gone up again now so that we can begin planning another pregnancy. What level should they be by now then do you think?