Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
lump in throat and throat/neck pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

lump in throat and throat/neck pain

A few weeks ago, I developed an infection in my ear lobe due to an earring.  My doctor said my lymph nodes were swollen and treated me with an anitbiotic.  Right before I saw my physician, I developed a lump feeling in my throat.  It has been reoccuring often along with twingy pains up both sides of my neck.  I have no problem swallowing but now I feel twingy pains in my upper chest and upper back.  Sometimes I have a burning sensation in my throat as well.  I do take prevacid for acid reflux/heartburn.  What do you think might be going on?  Do you think these are separate issues - the ear lobe infection and the lump sensation?  My doctor told me to consider seeing an ear, nose, and throat doctor if the lump feeling continued.  I am beginning to feel very anxious about everything which is probably escalating my symptoms.  I try to ignore them but I think about it all the time.  Thanks.

How are you?

The sensation of lump in the throat is called globus hystericus. Globus hystericus is a subjective sensation where people feel a lump in the throat. At times, it is associated with difficulties swallowing. They are probably related to psychological problems. The most common cause is gastro esophageal reflux disease - GERD.

Diagnosis is by fibroptic laryngoscopy. Fiberoptic laryngoscopy also helps confirm the GERD diagnosis.

GERD is treated by antacids, bland diet, small evening meals and elevation of the head of the bed. For chest and neck pain, you can take some OTC pain killers.

For confirmatory diagnosis, pls consult an ENT specialist.

In case you need more information, pls do post us.

Take care.
Thank you for your recommendation to see an ENT specialist.  
How are you?
The symptoms of lump in the throat and burning sensation in your throat are most likely due to GERD.
The pain in the neck and back could be due to stress and anxiety.
Please relax. Make sure you eat your dinner 2 hr before bedtime. Eat healthy and drink plenty of water. If symptoms do not improve please consult a gastroenterologist. Take care!
Thanks for the info.  The lump sensation hasn't been too bad today, but later in the afternoon i began to experience the burning sensation in my mouth and throat and am continuing to feel that as I write. My stomach also hurts - it's not upset or anything.   I maintain a very good diet, exercise and workout routinely.  I am 58 years old and am dealing with aging parents of whom both have serious diseases.  A very stressful situation arose today involving them and I think that is when I noticed the symptoms. ( I may have been experiencing the burning sensation before that. ) I have an appointment to see an ENT specialist on Monday.  I guess that's a start and we'll go from there.  I do worry about every ache and pain as I grow older.  I am trying to work on that.