lump under ribcage
2 months ago I noticed a lump right below my left rib, when I do physical activity it becomes sore under my rib and I know there is something there that does not seem to belong.

Doctor did Cat scan and told me it was cartilage that was protruding from my rib.

Can you tell me how this happens,
Is there any thing I can do to correct this?

Is there any other possible diagnosis?

Thank You

I have had this problem for 9 years and doctors said it was in my head. Last night it happened at work (i work in a hospital). I saw a doctor and he told me what it was and (if its the same as mine - cartlige pops out and you have trouble breathing and have to pop it back in yourself) there isn't a cure for it and there is nothing you can do for it and you have it for the rest of your life. I was told by a previous doctor to take a photo of it, its not easy believe me!
I came on here to see if i could find the 30 long lettered word he called it. Sorry if this information isn't much help, but i do intend to find something out about it.
I have had this problem for 1year and my doctor told me it just a fat pocket.  But it hurts on and around it on the ribs sometimes.  Please let me know if you find out anything more.  Thanks!!