Undiagnosed Symptoms Expert Forum
lumps in neck

Topics covered include , breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

lumps in neck
Hello, I have a couple of small lumps in my neck.  One of them has been there for awhile and my doctor thought it was a lymph node that didn't shrink down after being inflamed.  I have developed a second lump on the other side of my neck that is about the size of a pea and is a little firmer than the first one.  I don't have any colds or obvious infections that would cause this.  

I am an avid weight lifter and workout 5 days a week (have been doing this for over 10 years consistently).  Some of the exercises I do are very heavy and involve the upper back and neck.  Could heavy weightlifting cause strain that would cause small lumps like this to occur?   I have an appt. with my doctor in a week, but after reading about lymph nodes and their causes I am very concerned.  
Lymph nodes or cysts would be the most common cause.  I am unsure if weightlifting has anything to do with it.  

I would ultrasound the lumps for a more definitive diagnosis.  If they are persistently enlarged lymph nodes, a biopsy can be considered to exclude cancer.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com